• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Job Offer - Audio [Not Paid]LF Music Composer - To Remix Existing Tracks

R

Richard Woodard

I am doing a remake of the classic arcade game and NES port of Kid Niki. I have contacted IREM Japan, and while they maintain the IP of Kid Niki, they no longer license or produce video games - I was told the IP remains indefinitely in legal limbo, and they could not license it. I am sure if I fought it with a TM lawyer, I could probably claims rights as the TM is already expired in the US, but - long story short, I'm just going to release it for free as a fan made remake. Being as it is, this is not a paying gig.

The original game had roughly a few tracks. Please look at this YouTube video for reference material -

What I would like is a bit of a more modern sounding remix of the 6 tracks featured in the YouTube video there, as well as a remix of the "Game Over" jingle, and the "Intro" Jingle. Basically everything in the YouTube video except for the Unknown Theme at the very end. If you could some how make them sound a bit more "Asian" that would be really great, but not a deal breaker. Full credit will be given when the game is put out for download hopefully in August or September.

R

Richard Woodard

I am still looking for someone that would be interested in doing this project. Please, contact me if anyone has any interest.

Ninety

Just so you know, releasing it for free doesn't actually give you the right to remake the game. It's possible you won't face any backlash, especially considering the game isn't particularly recent, but if it has a standard copyright arrangement you don't actually technically have the right to make it at all. I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but it might be a factor that would limit your potential responses.

R

Richard Woodard

I have spoken with legal council on the matter. Since I now feel like it's necessary to provide the details of the situation, it goes as follows. The company that secured rights and licensing for the port and sale of Kid Niki was Data East. Data East filed for bankruptcy in 2003, and most of it's licenses and copyrights were sold to Capcom and Nintendo. Kid Niki was not purchased by anyone, and because of the Intellectual Property Bankruptcy Protection Act it was not protected because it was prior to 1988. Now, the IP for Kaiketsu Yanchamaru was retained by IREM Japan; however, in 2011 the company closed it's doors on their video game development studio and downsized into pachenko and slot machines. Their studio developers then founded their own company called Granzella, purchasing some rights from IREM; but not Kaiketsu Yanchamaru. Long story short, I could pay to ressurect the dead IP from IREM, because even they do not have the legal abilities to license or sell the franchise at this time; and they do not plan on doing so. This I got straight from a letter from their legal department. But the costs to do something like that, far outweigh the profits; and so a free release as a fanmade homebrew is my only option if I want it to be seen or played. In short, there is really no one left to pursue legal action against me or file a cease and desist if I do this.

T

Tango

I think I can do it for you. Just tell me some details if you need in a PM and I'm in.