• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion NOT liking the infinite dimensions of work-spaces.

MilesThatch

Ok this is a rant and although it's not something that I can't try to get used to or work with, I still think it would still be worth posting about.

Question: Why do I have to have my window resized and moved away from where I was working in the room editor to edit the code of an object? (rhetorical question)

With 1.4 all the windows were essentially separate objects. I could move them around, resize them move them to a second screen without having to stretch the game maker application window there and best of all I would NEVER lose them anywhere, I'd always know where everything is. Now in 2.0 the whole work-space of infinite universes is introduced and now it's extremely easy to lose footing and orientation of where you have left off in the engine. The Infinite work-space makes sense in the room editor because the levels will become too big to display on the monitor, but why in gods name does everything else need to be contained within a work space? (now as I work on a level, the view will have to move away from the focus area I'm working on so that I'd know where the new window opened up) Which begs the question of why even bother with the whole thing.

When closing the object editor I now need to find my way around the workspace to locate where the hell I left off a minute ago. It's time consuming and disorienting. But hey, thank you for the homing button thou, Gretel. At least that helps me find my way to the center of the workspace. (in fact, the idea that you needed to add that homing button to help users locate their stuff in the infinite dimensions of a workspace says what a poor solution it is.)

Call it a rant. I'm sure if enough people agree with me there's bound to be a change in the right direction.

I find myself having to bargain with Dormamu to find my way back. Time consuming. And opening a new work-space is NOT a solution to the problem there's not enough space on an average users monitor to be able to encompass all the needed windows and not get lost in the infinite cosmos of the workspace. It's like the entire engine was made to look like Blueprints from UE.

Last edited:

MilesThatch

Jesus... thank you, that will make things easier.

This doesn't excuse the fact that everything has to be nested within workspaces. There's NO self respecting modern piece of software the does this. Look at Adobe, Autodesk... Heck look at Unreal Engine, App Game Kit. I mean seriously, do I really need to create a new workspace to move the Search and Replace onto the second screen?

The whole mechanic still seems like some gimmicky feature that looked good on paper but turned out in need of all these search features to make it work. Seems like at some point the cpncept was progressed so far that the gui programmer has just refused to re-program the interface to function like every other familiar application and settled with the work-around. This is not fluid at all. It's all over the place and using shortcuts is no answer to what is poor ui design.

Last edited:
D

Drenathor

Personally I just gave up with trying to find my "windows". I always know where my objects are in the resource tree so I just double click them there and it either quickly moves the workspace to the appropriate location or opens it for me. This was much easier for me than trying to zoom in and out of the workview or having multiple panes open etc.

Ubu

This doesn't excuse the fact that everything has to be nested within workspaces. There's NO self respecting modern piece of software the does this. Look at Adobe, Autodesk... Heck look at Unreal Engine, App Game Kit. I mean seriously, do I really need to create a new workspace to move the Search and Replace onto the second screen?

The whole mechanic still seems like some gimmicky feature that looked good on paper but turned out in need of all these search features to make it work. Seems like at some point the cpncept was progressed so far that the gui programmer has just refused to re-program the interface to function like every other familiar application and settled with the work-around. This is not fluid at all. It's all over the place and using shortcuts is no answer to what is poor ui design.
Unfortunaltely I have to agree. I'm having a hard time adapting to the new workspace. There's a reason why traditional windows have been a standard for so many years and continues to be used by most software. Why reinvent the wheel? At least let us have an option to go back to standard windows mode.

Personally I just gave up with trying to find my "windows". I always know where my objects are in the resource tree so I just double click them there and it either quickly moves the workspace to the appropriate location or opens it for me. This was much easier for me than trying to zoom in and out of the workview or having multiple panes open etc.
I ended up using this method as well.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
Remember there is a preference to allow overlapping chains (not windows) in the work space. This may also help you.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I am getting used to workspaces and navigating them.
I actually have very little issues.

However, I have found that the workspace system contributes very little to my workflow: I mostly end up tabbing to a resource or using the resource tree.

That being said, I do sometimes move up and down between 2 or 3 resources, but rarely any more.

I understand this is a bit of a useless argument: workspaces are here. And they will stay here.
And I'm ok with that since they don't hinder my workflow. I just find them to be far less useful than first anticipated.

That is not to say they cannot be useful.
If there was more interactions between different resources, it would make it far better.
Perhaps showing inheritance through chains.
Or being able to group objects together.
I'm sure I can think of better uses. If I can think of anything, I'll probably make a new post with suggestions.

TheMagician

If there was more interactions between different resources, it would make it far better.
+1! Right now it feels like they wanted to have those cool UE4 curvy lines between the windows but apart from using up space I don't think they serve any purpose.

However, considering the fact that GMS 2's interface is based on (possibly in the future user-editable) plugins the system may become more versatile. In the recent AMA Mike said that they are looking into a node-based Shader Editor. In that context that kind of UI would make a lot of sense.

@MilesThatch : I also just double click on the items in the Resource Tree that I want to view. However, the view then moves to the new target and no kidding: that sometimes makes me dizzy if I use it a lot and it moves all over the place...
Anyway, I think that there are a lot of things that make Workspace navigation easier. Two that I haven't seen mentioned here are:

• Bookmarks - to quickly jump to the most used assets
  • Middle Click on any Resource Name in a script and it will jump directly to that resource

nesrocks

I don't really see the advantage of zooming (in or out) the workspace. So I do what Drenathor does: I just navigate the resource tree.
Mike: in addition to the overlap option there should be a "open new resource in place" so it doesn't move out of the view when opening a new resource for editting.
Also, can the UI animations be turned off? They take a lot of time to complete.
Edit: found it on preferences > general > disable IDE transition animations

Llama_Code

One of the problems you mentioned was that you would have to stretch the IDE's window if you want to have different objects/scripts or whatever on different monitors. But isn't it possible to drag a workspace tab out to create a new window to use different workspaces on different monitors? If so, I actually see this (in some ways) as better than the old system as far as multi-monitor organization goes.

There is a "Laptop Mode" that let's you use the ALT key to pan and CTRL to zoom in and out. I don't know how you enable it though if you're on a desktop.
You can in fact drag an entire work space on to another monitor and it's amazing. That made it so much better for me when I figured that out.

If also helps to make use of the tabs for multiple workspaces instead of opening everything in to one.

Hyomoto

Something you may not have noticed is you can have multiple work spaces. If you press F1 on a resource you created, it will take you to that resource. In the case of a script, it will open it up connected to the current window. So, if you have, I dunno, complex logic that has a heavy use of different events and scripts, you may find it valuable to lay them ALL out on a single workspace for better visualization. In that case the infinite workspaces and connecting lines start to really make a lot of sense and make editing your object a lot easier since you can actually see everything at once if you choose. Once the other resources come online, it only adds to the versatility. The only thing that could be more useful is if it opened all resources by connecting it to the parent node. Hell, a 'break apart' that has that effect would probably be amazing and may exist, I just haven't seen it.

Even if you don't care for that you can open up any tab as an entire workspace and edit them that way. It comes off that you are trying to make it work less for you when the old method was clearly inferior. The time I used to spend looking for tabs, opening and closing objects and scripts, etc... is gone now. I can quickly and easily scroll to what I'm editing, make changes, move back, test it. It's amazing. But maybe I'm just more willing to adapt my habits to the workspace and make use of the tools it offers.

MilesThatch

As I said, It's nothing that I can't get used to, but just for the purpose of critique:

Just for a second. Imagine there are no longer any workspaces. Everything you open pops up right in front of you. No view Panning, no zooming, no moving around to get to the needed ui buttons or using the multiple search tools that were implemented clearly because you get lost in the work-spaces without them.

@Llama_Code @Hyomoto Yeah you can. You know you could also do that in 1.4 and there were no work-spaces there. The only benefit I can see in them is that you might want to set up a work-space solely for object editing on a dual or triple monitor setup..
You can in fact still have all the bookmarks and resource search tools and not use work-spaces...

And Again... Try to move the Search And Replace window onto the second screen.... it creates a new work-space there... Really? Why does that tiny window need it's own work-space? To justify their usefulness? 1.4 had all the windows pop up right in front of you. Everything was instantaneously accessible... Now in order to be quick in a workspace you have to use all the resource finding tools.

As someone said here... Its not like the devs are just going to re-develop the gui. So Anything I say goes in one ear and out the other.

Last edited:

Ubu

Just for a second. Imagine there are no longer any workspaces. Everything you open pops up right in front of you. No view Panning, no zooming, no moving around to get to the needed ui buttons or using the multiple search tools that were implemented clearly because you get lost in the work-spaces without them.
Sounds like a dream to me.

As someone said here... Its not like the devs are just going to re-develop the gui. So Anything I say goes in one ear and out the other.
I can hear their mantra: "In a world without walls, who needs windows."

Last edited:

Llama_Code

It all comes down to preferences. I actually don't like the 1.4 method of everything popping up your face because it becomes a mess, and you have to dig through Windows to find stuff.

I actually do set up separate workspaces for different things for organization.

Hyomoto

@MilesThatch Not necessarily, if there is strong support then Yoyo will likely try to accommodate it that way. My only interest isn't in 'getting used to it', it's in exploring and finding it's uses. When you use your terminology you are basically saying, "Hey, this is what it is, so if you give me a vaccination at least I won't die." Whereas I'm saying if you look at it as an opportunity to use the interface in different ways, you might find you actually do like more of these things. The biggest complaints about the new UI seem to come from people who sound like they are fighting with it tooth and nail to make it something else. To be fair, maybe I just take to this interface like a fish to clean, fresh, clear, oxygenated water full of delicious food and it's more like throwing you into a lake. Still, I'd say if you learn to swim you'll probably enjoy the water more rather than just getting a life preserver and floating.

I do not have to use random and obscure analogies, I choose to use random and obscure analogies. You are welcome.

Llama_Code

I think most people are so resistant to change they don't want to give it a chance. They just automatically expect it to be just like everything else and hate it if it's not.

I like change, and I like new things, so I'm open to experimenting with it. At first I wasn't so sure about it, but I have actually grown to like it, it's pretty intuitive if you can break out of the "This doesent work like program x" bubble.

Thats not pointing at anyone in particular, and I'm not just talking about GMS either. Evert time iOS updates people flood the internet about their hate towards changes, every new Windows version etc.

Im not saying the GMS 2 interface is the best ever, but it's better than some, and certainly there is something better than what we are used to. But if we can't try new stuff we will never find it.

MilesThatch

I'm not bitching for no reason here. I've opened up 1.4 to retrieve some code from an object and I realized why I don't like the workspaces. They waste space on the monitor. And the Infinite space within a space is not a solution. In the music industry there are several synthesizers that won the hearts of many producers because their interface had everything right in front of them. No need to open tabs or menus, no need to look for buttons and settings. Everything was right there in front of you. In 1.4 I can have every window on top of everything else. I can see everything without hacing to resize any windows.

Since everything is nested inside work-spaces in 2.0, your view is compressed to what is inside the workspace. And now you have to work with multiple search tools to move around it. I can't double click on the code editor window or press Win + Left Arrow key in order to maximize the window to a side of a half screen. It's like gluing toilet paper rolls to your eyes. Yes I can see if you want to be technical but your potential encomus is limited. It not only looks impractical it also feels restricting and forced.

Im not saying the GMS 2 interface is the best ever, but it's better than some,
Well I guess homeless people should be glad they don't have cancer at least.

Last edited:

MilesThatch

I'd say in regards to that, at least a step in the right direction would be, to drop the wires and restriction from moving those windows horizontally and NOT have the windows open on the side but to open up on top of the previous window with a slight offset and thus you won't need to have the work-space view move so much.

I'd love to be able to decide how I position my windows, The whole wire side by side takes up too much space and adds unnecessary movement:

Last edited:

MilesThatch

PS: Where is Laptop mode. Middle mouse button is not making moving around work-spaces comfortable. I'm on desktop and the laptop mode button is not where the manual said it should be... is it even enabled on desktop?

At least Alt + Mouse would make it somewhat faster navigating this mess.

I will simply add that I agree to MilesThatch for the irelivence of the workspace. Windows is Windows and I have always been very good with working with Windows. The workspace was not a good idea, or at least not for everything inside GMS2.

Juju

Figured I might as well post this here - I think there are three major issues I'm having at the moment:
  1. I never want to pan around in a code block. I resize my code blocks to be wide enough so that I can see the full width of my text, and then I use my mouse wheel (or gesture on a laptop) to scroll. I feel actively discouraged from using the workspace because I can't click and pan from every point on my screen; indeed, the vast majority of where I'm looking at any given time is dominated by space I can't use to pan around. This is actually a serious deficiency, I think, because it undermines the core concept of what's trying to be done in GMS2.
  2. I can't move the Events box below the main Object box. It's forced to the right - with quite a lot of padding - and then the Code box is to the right of that. If I could move things around (preferably with a default layout so I don't have to keep moving stuff) then I could save approximately 1/8th of my screen width. Moving the Events box to the bottom broadly matches the height of the code window which is efficient.
  3. It is very rare that I want to zoom in and out. If you're copy-pasting, you're holding down control a lot; on a laptop, that means your mouse must be absolutely static otherwise your zoom mode goes into Hubble Telescope mode. I appreciate the addition of a laptop mode - I enjoy programming from bed like the next chump - but can we break out the toggle into two "Alt+Mouse = Pan" and "Ctrl+Mouse = Zoom" options? We've got keyboard shortcuts for when we do want to zoom.
Also, having to have the console open at the bottom the majority of the time makes the workspace feel claustrophobic. It's not a big deal (and I know you're working on syntax error reporting) but it'd make me much more comfortable using GMS2's new layout and, as a result, much happier when using it. I like to be happy when making games, I find it keeps the little voices in my head quiet :)

Last edited:

Hyomoto

It's funny when you put it side by side I shudder and remember how much I hated, if nothing, absolutely nothing else, the windows that kept getting smaller in GM:S. I just don't see how you find that more tolerable. It's messy, stuff overlaps, it's hard to find anything, you have to manually sort your windows. Maybe your desk is tidier than mine (it probably is, that's not hard to beat).

MilesThatch

It's funny when you put it side by side I shudder and remember how much I hated, if nothing, absolutely nothing else, the windows that kept getting smaller in GM:S. I just don't see how you find that more tolerable. It's messy, stuff overlaps, it's hard to find anything, you have to manually sort your windows. Maybe your desk is tidier than mine (it probably is, that's not hard to beat).
See what you find "messy" and intolerable I find to be the complete control of my environment. No setup decided for me. I hate forced mechanics.

it's hard to find anything, you have to manually sort your windows.
Bookmarks, Tab for windows and CTRL+T to find resources... Well that's where these extra search tools implemented to deal with the workspace cluster**** would come in handy.

As you said it's a matter of preference. And I prefer the freedom to set up my own arrangement without spacial constraints. Like every other respectable application.

Last edited:

Hyomoto

We are total opposites on this, there's no doubt about it. GM2 fits me like a glove. It's honestly too bad it isn't better for you, but the part that surprises me is that somehow GM:S is better. I'm guessing you mastered those shortcuts and once you get that good at it, it's probably annoying to change them.

MilesThatch

Looks like it is.

Any and all software of various field of work I use have the same gui handling structure. The Workspaces are the only thing that I find to be clustered and forced. But as I said, not something I can't absolutely not work around. If YoYo can add a properties option to just separate windows from workspaces (which may or may not be simple depending on how they wrote it) it would satisfy either sides as I'm not the only one who finds workspaces to be a gimmick apparently

GMWolf

aka fel666
Even after quite a long time using studio 2, I still feel like the workspace does not convey any more information than otherwise.

Yes, its a huge improvement on GMS1.4. Because 1.4 would just open tons of tiny windows all over the place.
Instead, having every resource open full screen would make more sense. (Think VS, Eclipse, IbteliJ... Every other IDE I can think of).
Luckily, there is an option to open all code windows full screen. At which point, having objects and sprites in the workspace isnt so bad... But still: no extra information.

The problem is that in GM, everything is decoupled by nature. Things don't really have relationships. And son the chaining workflow doesn't quite work...

I am not resistance to change. I have been getting used to the new workflow, and can now navigate it mostly unimpaired, if not for constantly resizing the view and code editor such that I can see full window... I just really don't see the advantage of this system over the much simpler, easier to navigate system existing IDEs have already opted for.

SnoutUp

I have to agree with critique expressed towards the clumsy workspace system in GM2. While usability in other sections was greatly improved, the fancy node-y cluster-y resource windows feel like a step backwards for the sake of looking cool. Searching for a specific window feels like I'm navigating in some sort of space game. And enabling overlapping didn't help much, just added clutter (because nodes).

The thing 1.4 needed was a way to open code blocks from actions as tabs in the same object window, instead of a new window. That would've been great.

TheMagician

Good points have been brought up in the last couple of posts - and I don't think that all of these people are not open to change but they try and see the advantages and disadvantages of the new structure.

Luckily, there is an option to open all code windows full screen
That sounds like a great option - we really need one point where all these navigation and UI tricks are collected.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
So... not gonna really dig into any arguments for or against here, just going to put out the how and why.

IN 1.x you were stuck with overlapping windows, this was a terrible experience and meant you only ever had a couple of scripts and objects open at once - max. Any more, and they were utterly lost in a sea of over lapping madness. I constantly found myself having to close everything to find anything. This sucked.

The workspace lets you lay everything out, or at the least, lets you open much more than 1.x could ever manage and still find your way around. Even if you only opened 3 objects (which isn't much by 2.x standards) you were still ahead. I usually have 10 or more objects open and then use the scroll wheel to shift them all up and down. This started out as "zoom" on the scroll wheel, but this was a horrible experience and we swapped it to scrolling. Sine they open up on top of each other, a vertical scroll is very natural, even if you only have 2 objects open, they are laid out clearly and easy to get to.

The code editor can either be window based, or fullscreen based. If you want to maximise your workspace, then putting code into a fullscreen tab and Using F12 (or the icon at the top) to hide the docks really gives you as much space as you need. If you do find you need more, then ripping these workspace tabs out and maximising your monitors lets you spread your work around.

While the resource tree does work as a "go to" resource we have added in shortcut navigation using the cursor keys, bookmarks so you can bookmark anything at any time, and the ALT-T thing to jump directly. All this is WAY more than 1.x ever had, and again after you opened a couple of windows, you were just stuffed.

The IDE is utterly customisation to us, it's written from the ground up and we can change anything in it if we feel the need is there. Currently, I'm not persuaded by the 1.x window on window argument. I used it extensively to build projects and it showed up windows my annoying flaw. Interestingly, windows 10 has also moved into this "workspace" idea (as Mac and Linux have had for years) with it's multiple desktop. They recognise - as we do, that 1,000,000 windows on top of each other is just horrible. Multiple desktops let you put apps that your are working with into logical spaces together. I have my browser, email and the like on one, then VS, source control on another .

You can do just the same with 2.x using workspace tabs, you don't have to pack them all onto one space and scroll around. stick things that youwork side by side with on the same tab an either flick between them or rip them off onto another monitor. I'd also encourage you to try the fullscreen code editors - and the various preferences to adjust your workflow to suit.

Changing workflow is hard, and I'm under no illusions that everyone will come to like it - just like not everyone liked the dated 1.x workflow. And while I will always monitor how users are doing, and if there is anything we can do to smooth things out, I'm pretty resistant to going back to 1.x overlapping window hell. But, find a middle ground, and I'm all ears.

Lastly... the room editor is kind of a half way house right now. Having parts of it in the dock is not the final layout, but we didn't get time to fully complete it. This will be finished over time (as we do everything else), and that will also help maximise space.

Actually...really lastly. We also have a new preference coming, DPI override. This lets you shrink or grow the layout to suit, and while it's been added as an accessibility aid (for those who struggle to see everything clearly), I've actually come to love it when I shrink everything - just a bit. Normal (100%) DPI is 96, and 75% is 72. I now sit mine around 80 and find this is a really nice look. We may well be able to do a skin that helps shrink the chrome and gives this kind of effect - although the DPI override does do this nicely.

So...as I said, just my how and why....

GMWolf

aka fel666
@Mike I dont think the argument is that 1.4 was better i that regards. It wasnt. 1.4 was a mess.
But the question is: What advantages does the workspace provide over other layouts such as the one used i VS, eclipse, inteliJ, etc?
To me, it seems that a lot of the chaning could be removed and replaced with a single maximized window UI.

Again, I do like the new workspace, and ive become quite handy with it. I just dont think its a system that reflects GM's and GML's workings. It just looks 'cool'.

xot

GMLscripter
GMC Elder
Workspaces are a big change. I was repelled by them at first and I predicted many other long-time GM users would be as well. I'm somewhat surprised the push-back hasn't been greater. But I strongly believe they have enormous of potential. It's a whole new paradigm and it is going to take everyone — the developers included — a while to fully grasp what they can do. Improvements are needed but this is a strong direction for a much more powerful IDE. I'm hopeful our collective experiences will reveal the best ways to exploit what we have. I'm hopeful that community plug-ins will help fill some gaps and turn things on their head. I'd much rather see YoYo spend time finishing these kinds of new, important features than continuing to tweak a workflow that has been completely functional for over a year. Stick with it, learn the shortcuts, use tabs, embrace its persistence, and watch development streams by experienced users like Mike.

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
IN 1.x you were stuck with overlapping windows (snip) I constantly found myself having to close everything to find anything.

The workspace lets you lay everything out, or at the least, lets you open much more than 1.x could ever manage and still find your way around. (snip)
(emphasis added)

I agree. This is the big advantage I see with the new workspace.

Unfortunately with v1.4, I developed the (necessary) habit of closing one object's windows, before opening another object's windows. So to take advantage of the new workspace, I'm learning to break that old habit.

trg601

Well, I think I might as well bring up that even with laptop mode, the workspace is hard to work with because you can't see everything at once. (With my smaller screen)
For example, when I open a code editor I get this problem: (I can't see the bottom which is annoying because I am very used to seeing the arguments at the bottom of the code editor, and now I have to either scroll down or open the manual to see them)
(I still have the problem when I close the "Syntax Errors" panel)
And when I close the editor, I have to (slowly) move the view back towards the event menu, which becomes a pain. Maybe there could be a preference that moves the view back to the previous window when you close its child? That would be very handy.

Another possible preference could be to open all code windows in a new tab, instead of in the workspace. That would make things easier because I don't have a problem switching tabs to get to events and such. (I also really like that you can drag two events into the same window and have them tabbed, that is handy)

Edit: I realized that I had not checked all the user preferences since the update. Now there is an option to do what I suggested above (automatically opening code editors as new tabs) XD!
They also seemed to fix the control+enter not resetting the zoom properly, which is awesome!

Last edited:

Llama_Code

Well, I think I might as well bring up that even with laptop mode, the workspace is hard to work with because you can't see everything at once.
The DPI override option @Mike mentioned should help this as well. It is new, it is different, and for the first couple of hours I hated it. The more I played with the more I loved it though. Until then, maybe collapse the panels since you can get all of the resources with a right click. I am actually coming adapt to not using the resource pane at all.

On my Surface, all those tabs along the bottom, I moved to the side panel where the resource tree is. That means you have to resize it to see everything, but it doesn't block my bottom.

I didn't even think about the coronation to Windows 10 either. I use the multiple desktop option all the time, and after hating 8.1 for its entire existence I have come to love the full screen start menu (not the tablet mode).

Also, while it does not get rid of the chains, choosing the option to allows overlapping chains can help keep the work space from getting so spread out. However once you have a dozen things open you can see the importance of the chains.

In 1.4 often I would have multiple code editors open and forget momentarily which is which.

Lastly, just close all the child windows when your done with them and you can just leave the main windows stacked up on only open what you need.

Last edited:

rIKmAN

But, find a middle ground, and I'm all ears.
I don't really have an opinion one way or the other yet as I have not had time to use GMS2 beta much due to real life stuff, but wouldn't a "middle ground" be having it as an option in preferences and letting the user decide which one to use?

Hyomoto

@Mike's description of GM:S 1 is my exact experience. I spent more time opening and closing windows than anything else. In GM2 I can open single objects into their own workspace if I want, decouple tabs, move things around, and specifically: scroll quickly to things that are also opened. The only feature that gets in my craw is that when I open a window, it moves all other windows to match, but if I close one, it doesn't collapse them back up to fill the gap. I might not mind so much if new objects didn't open up back at the bottom which means if I do close something, I have to close everything and repoen it all to get it to line up neatly again since that's far faster than dragging everything. Nonetheless, I see this as a huge improvement because I do a lot less closing now anyways since it's not really required to keep things manageable. Need more space? Open a new workspace. Otherwise, scroll up and down. This is what my workflow looks like, good-bye overlapping:

Oh my! So clean! So useful! So beautiful! Even on my 1920x1080 monitor this was a vast improvement. It may be a bit facetious but I finished my first GM2 project for the 80x45 GameJam and I have to say, I was able to do considerably more thanks to this. Making changes, updating code, adding sprites and sounds. So easy. It was an absolute joy to work with. I wish I could bottle my joy up and send it to you. I'm have to defend it because I really wish you all experienced it with the same awesome joy it brings me.

Last edited:

MilesThatch

Oh my! So clean! So useful!
Jesus no wonder you're not complaining. If you can see anything at that resolution then you're either programming with MagnaGoggles on or you're programming in a god damn cineplex projector... In the meantime in reality land the rest of us run 1400x900 19" monitors. Heck, apparently plenty here are on laptops and something tells me they aren't hauling any external monitors around. Perhaps if I had one of those 40+" monitors that can handle that kind of a resolution then maybe I can see past the fact how much space all the tabs and menus eat ap by appearing on top of a workspace.

Either that or wait for that DPI override feature to come out because that might be a solution to this claustrophobic set-up.

Last edited:

GMWolf

aka fel666
Im on a 15 inch, 1080p monitor with 100% scaling. Its very cramped.
But its true that when trying it out with second, 24 inch monitor it was a lot better.
, and was easier to take advantage of the workspace.

Unfortunatly a lot of us are on laptops, and cant have a second screen. I would love too see mroe optin to better cater to these kinds of setups.

TheMagician

I really like the option of opening scripts in new fullscreen tabs. However, is there a way to link the object in the workspace and the object's tab to each other? So that when you close one the other one is closed as well? In 99% of the cases when I close the object in the workspace it means that I'm done editing it so the tab could also be closed to save space - and vice versa.

By the way: I've posted a mockup of an alternative way to edit the object's settings and events for people who like to work with fullscreen code tabs in this thread.

Last edited:

Ubu

Just wanted to mention that it has been said in other threads; "if enough people wants something we might consider bringing it in."
And we're not asking for a change, just an alternative, an addition.
So I was wondering if this is something you would consider adding if enough poeple wanted it or if you're stuck with your new method and determined not to change it?

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I've said above (somewhere), that I won't bring back 1.x window over window mess because it is awful. But I'm open to someone coming up with something else that benefits everyone. As I said above, you could only ever have a couple things open at once in 1.x, and I consider that horrible. GMS2 allows you to have many things open and still find them, and I consider that a win.

But... if you have other suggestions, then I'm all ears.

GMWolf

aka fel666
I've said above (somewhere), that I won't bring back 1.x window over window mess because it is awful. But I'm open to someone coming up with something else that benefits everyone. As I said above, you could only ever have a couple things open at once in 1.x, and I consider that horrible. GMS2 allows you to have many things open and still find them, and I consider that a win.

But... if you have other suggestions, then I'm all ears.
Im pretty sure most of us (if not all of us) agree that 1.x was a mess. Many of us are asking for something more simple. Like what we see in VS, etc. Essentially 1.x windows, but all ways filling the entire workspace area.
In my opinion, such a layout works much better for script heavy projects.

I think one problem we will never get around without some GML change is that each script needs its own window, because of the nature of GML. I think that having the ability to define multiple scripts in a single text file may aleviate a lot of this problem. Naturally, I understand this is a big change for GML. But it truely believe that simply changing the IDE will not resolve the problem entirely. The nature of the language is also at fault.

[edit] Here is a mockup by @TheMagician for another way to edit objects: https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.p...tive-layout-for-editing-objects-events.14218/
Domething simmilar to, or the same as this would be nice to have as an option.

Last edited:

Llama_Code

I think that having the ability to define multiple scripts in a single text file may aleviate a lot of this problem.
With a little bit I'd creativity you can already do this. One I make small "flash type" games I put the entirety of my code in a single script, and for large games in a couple (but only Ilford organization, it could be one.)

GMWolf

aka fel666
With a little bit I'd creativity you can already do this. One I make small "flash type" games I put the entirety of my code in a single script, and for large games in a couple (but only Ilford organization, it could be one.)
Sure you can bodge things in like that. Just use a switch and pass enums of what section to run. But that's even more of a pain. That is in no way a solution.
You are not gonna make your game a mess just to alleviate a bit of IDE mess.....