• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Not enough sleep..

Hello,

Probably everyone had this problem in his/her life at least once. Not enough sleep.. I'm sleeping 6, 6,5 or 7 hours max. And I go to school after an hour when I woke up. So I sleep between 00:00-01:00 -sometimes change- untill 07:00 and go school around 08:00. The school finishes at 15:30 and I arrive home at 15:50~ When I arrive, I feel exhausted and eat somethings as I'm hungry. Eating makes me even more sleepy.. After I eat, I get onto my bed and watch some vids or streams to get some energy back. But sometimes, I fall asleep..or I don't even get any energy.. BUT I need to be energetic to study 4/5/6 hours a day.

In my school, we don't have one spesific class for each groups of students. There are classes of teachers and we go to a different class every 2nd lesson. There are 8 lessons a day, and every lesson is 40 minutes. And there are 5/10 minute breaks. And 50 minute afternoon break.

Do you have any ideas to organize my sleeping schedule or anything else?

M

MishMash

I used to have the same issue, and developed a rather odd sleeping pattern as a result. Basically, if i'm tired, I sleep. I used to waft away evenings being unproductive and feeling tired, for no real reason at all. I personally found that I was most productive at getting work done when I was at home in the evenings, rather than sitting in class. Or, even if i was tired in class, it wouldn't matter so much as i'd tend to have to go over the material again when I was revising/doing coursework at home.

So I got into an odd sleep pattern which changed a bit depending on the day, but generally went something like this:

Wake up at 7:30-8:00am, get home at 4pm. Nap until 8/9pm (sometimes later, like 11pm), wake up, have "dinner", and stay up until 4-5am doing work. I'd then sleep again, wake up for school and feel pretty exhausted during my classes, but i'd be feeling super fresh in those early morning hours. I can't really confirm whether this is healthy or not, but given the schedule of school and how my brain worked, it felt great for me to actually be able to get the work I needed to get done feeling fresh. As a result, I finished school with top grades.

This wont really work for everyone due to other commitments. It worked for me as during the last 2 years of my secondary school education because all I was focused on for that time was academics and knuckling down to make the most of my time. I absolutely hated packing things into short blocks of time and used to be far more efficient when I had large blocks of time to get things done. For me, a standard schedule was far too fragmented to be productive as the evening would be broken up, and then i'd be too tired after dinner to get into a rhythm.

Another method that can work is to wake up early and do your work before school, though I did try this and it was quite punishing, as I tended to lose motivation knowing i'd be leaving in a few hours. I also understand that a split sleeping pattern of doing either two 4 hour blocks, or say 5 hours and 3 hours wont work if you have dinner with your family (I used to cook most of my own food, or sometimes would just eat later). My mum didn't mind me napping when I got home as she understood that it benefitted my grades and work ethic quite significantly. A reasonable compromise is to try and eat dinner around 8pm, then nap from getting in until them. The schedule of the meal can force you to get out of bed, as its easy to over-nap without reaping the benefits.

Personally, the "power" naps never worked for me, it would make me feel a bit better, but i couldn't sustain energy.

A few years later during university, it got a little different as there was no obligation for me to go to class. So instead, I tended to just sleep when i wanted and work when I felt best to. As a result, I only slept once a day, but often, my days would roll together, or my sleep schedule would roll back as I tended to carry on working on something until either finished, or until I came to a reasonable stopping point. I rarely tended to stop because it was "bed time". Similarly now I work full time on games, but just work from my flat so I tend to have a rather odd 6-day week. I often sleep around 8-10 hours a night now, but each day, I go to bed later and later, pushing back bed time by about 3 hours. I do this because when I get in a rhythm, it is easier for me just to carry on working rather than breaking the flow. As far as life commitments go, if there is somewhere I need to be, i'll just wake up for it, and if i'm tired when i get back, i'll nap. If not, i'll carry on. I don't really care about when I sleep, or for how long, I just sleep whenever i'm feeling tired :p (Also recently got given an award for highest academic performance in my department for last year, so can prove that it has enhanced my ability to consistently perform well)

The take away point is that now, I basically never feel tired to the point where I can't work. If I do, then I'll just start sleeping :) I really like how it works out, as it makes me feel great, however a lot of people don't understand it... though they're the ones who are constantly complaining about being exhausted all the time.

Edit: Oh, another thing I thought i'd throw in is that i've also had the other problem where sometimes i'd be tired, go to bed but be unable to fall asleep, or i'd wake at a time which didn't really fit in. This was something else that motivated me to change my approach to sleep, so instead if i was just lying in bed wide awake, i'd just get up because it was unproductive for me to try and sleep if I wasn't tired.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used to have the same issue, and developed a rather odd sleeping pattern as a result. Basically, if i'm tired, I sleep. I used to waft away evenings being unproductive and feeling tired, for no real reason at all. I personally found that I was most productive at getting work done when I was at home in the evenings, rather than sitting in class. Or, even if i was tired in class, it wouldn't matter so much as i'd tend to have to go over the material again when I was revising/doing coursework at home.

So I got into an odd sleep pattern which changed a bit depending on the day, but generally went something like this:

Wake up at 7:30-8:00am, get home at 4pm. Nap until 8/9pm (sometimes later, like 11pm), wake up, have "dinner", and stay up until 4-5am doing work. I'd then sleep again, wake up for school and feel pretty exhausted during my classes, but i'd be feeling super fresh in those early morning hours. I can't really confirm whether this is healthy or not, but given the schedule of school and how my brain worked, it felt great for me to actually be able to get the work I needed to get done feeling fresh. As a result, I finished school with top grades.

This wont really work for everyone due to other commitments. It worked for me as during the last 2 years of my secondary school education because all I was focused on for that time was academics and knuckling down to make the most of my time. I absolutely hated packing things into short blocks of time and used to be far more efficient when I had large blocks of time to get things done. For me, a standard schedule was far too fragmented to be productive as the evening would be broken up, and then i'd be too tired after dinner to get into a rhythm.

Another method that can work is to wake up early and do your work before school, though I did try this and it was quite punishing, as I tended to lose motivation knowing i'd be leaving in a few hours. I also understand that a split sleeping pattern of doing either two 4 hour blocks, or say 5 hours and 3 hours wont work if you have dinner with your family (I used to cook most of my own food, or sometimes would just eat later). My mum didn't mind me napping when I got home as she understood that it benefitted my grades and work ethic quite significantly. A reasonable compromise is to try and eat dinner around 8pm, then nap from getting in until them. The schedule of the meal can force you to get out of bed, as its easy to over-nap without reaping the benefits.

Personally, the "power" naps never worked for me, it would make me feel a bit better, but i couldn't sustain energy.

A few years later during university, it got a little different as there was no obligation for me to go to class. So instead, I tended to just sleep when i wanted and work when I felt best to. As a result, I only slept once a day, but often, my days would roll together, or my sleep schedule would roll back as I tended to carry on working on something until either finished, or until I came to a reasonable stopping point. I rarely tended to stop because it was "bed time". Similarly now I work full time on games, but just work from my flat so I tend to have a rather odd 6-day week. I often sleep around 8-10 hours a night now, but each day, I go to bed later and later, pushing back bed time by about 3 hours. I do this because when I get in a rhythm, it is easier for me just to carry on working rather than breaking the flow. As far as life commitments go, if there is somewhere I need to be, i'll just wake up for it, and if i'm tired when i get back, i'll nap. If not, i'll carry on. I don't really care about when I sleep, or for how long, I just sleep whenever i'm feeling tired :p (Also recently got given an award for highest academic performance in my department for last year, so can prove that it has enhanced my ability to consistently perform well)

The take away point is that now, I basically never feel tired to the point where I can't work. If I do, then I'll just start sleeping :) I really like how it works out, as it makes me feel great, however a lot of people don't understand it... though they're the ones who are constantly complaining about being exhausted all the time.

Edit: Oh, another thing I thought i'd throw in is that i've also had the other problem where sometimes i'd be tired, go to bed but be unable to fall asleep, or i'd wake at a time which didn't really fit in. This was something else that motivated me to change my approach to sleep, so instead if i was just lying in bed wide awake, i'd just get up because it was unproductive for me to try and sleep if I wasn't tired.
Hey,

I highly appreciate to you for spending time for typing this and sharing your experiences. Right now, I'm preparing for school and read it once but I need to translate some little words and read again to completely understand every point. I'll read it when I get home, or either in a break in school.

Regards.

L

Law

I'd give different advice to MishMash, I've had a few friends who've suffered from irregular sleep, and I get it myself.

My solution is this:

Go to bed at 11pm.

it doesn't matter if you feel awake, at 11pm, put away all screens (which will wake you up) and lay in bed until you go to sleep.

I'd recommend you pick a weekend where you have plans to go out. And start going to bed at 11pm on the Friday. That way, you'll have a whole weekend to correct your sleep cycle and won't have any deadlines for the next day that you'll have to keep up for.

After not too long, you'll stop feeling as exhausted when you come back from school. And you'll be more productive.

The other good tactic is to have a short break when you get back home. but to get back to work pretty quickly. Say promise yourself you'll start work at 5pm, and put away all technology to work then.

Than work in 25 minute bursts with 5 minute rests where you do something fun.

If you're a teenager, it'll be pretty hard, because teenagers are naturally a bit nocturnal. I'll be the first to admit I usually don't follow this kind of system to the letter. But when i know I need to have a really productive for a week, i find it very useful to enforce some rules on myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Z

zendraw

go to sleep early so you can get up early. establish a discipline for yourself.

go to sleep early so you can get up early. establish a discipline for yourself.
I get up early actually. At 7am. So you say I'll have more energy at the end of the school if I sleep at 10-11pm?
I'd give different advice to MishMash, I've had a few friends who've suffered from irregular sleep, and I get it myself.

My solution is this:

Go to bed at 11pm.

it doesn't matter if you feel awake, at 11pm, put away all screens (which will wake you up) and lay in bed until you go to sleep.

I'd recommend you pick a weekend where you have plans to go out. And start going to bed at 11pm on the Friday. That way, you'll have a whole weekend to correct your sleep cycle and won't have any deadlines for the next day that you'll have to keep up for.

After not too long, you'll stop feeling as exhausted when you come back from school. And you'll be more productive.

The other good tactic is to have a short break when you get back home. but to get back to work pretty quickly. Say promise yourself you'll start work at 5pm, and put away all technology to work then.

If you're a teenager, it'll be pretty hard, because teenagers are naturally a bit nocturnal. I'll be the first to admit I usually don't follow this kind of system to the letter. But when i know I need to have a really productive for a week, i find it very useful to enforce some rules on myself.
I'll try this out. 25 min blocks seems cool. And I can play some guitar for 5 minutes :) And I'm 17

Z

zendraw

the point is to have 8h undisturbed sleep, for that to happen u go to bed early.

M

MishMash

the point is to have 8h undisturbed sleep, for that to happen u go to bed early.
That personally didn't work for me during secondary school. Did that for the first 16 years of my life, because being slightly tired in the evenings didn't really matter then. It wasn't the case that I was completely exhausted in the evenings, I was tired, but could have stayed up if needed, however when I was 17/18, it wasn't at all efficient for my school work to try and tackle it at 50% efficiency (It was annoying as before, i'd feel most awake during school, however generally, most of my work needed to be done in the evenings, rather than at school itself).

I don't necessarily think you need to have 8 hours of sleep in one go to reap the benefits, so long as you get enough sleep overall. Having said that, I feel if it is too fragmented, and in too shorter bursts, you can never quite fully recharge. I find its very personal, and its good to experiment with sleep patterns that work around your lifestyle, requirements and schedule. Now I am back on a "single" nights sleep, but tend to sleep for longer than I used to as a result of being highly active.

Gamebot

I used to have that problem ALL the time. No sleep till 1 AM get up at 3 AM. Go to bed at 4 AM get up at 7 AM. You can guess this didn't work well. Naps didn't work either as I was too hyped up after school. Positive for me it was stress related. I was always the slow learner. No one could ever explain to me how or why things were the way they were. Most of my teachers just repeated the same steps and had that "That's the way it is.." attitude. Which for me didn't explain anything. As you can guess my homework suffered as well. Though most of the time you handed it in you got credit. Which again didn't do any good either. For me it was that stress of always being behind and barley making it. Though I have always been and always now upbeat.

I did find a place where I belonged. My own music studio. (Even though those "Garage day" cassettes stink. There funny to listen to.) I found that it relaxed me, and still does today. I found that writing helps also. I don't explain things in general very well so I would make a terrible novelist. This doesn't mean that I give up writing. I write lyrics and what ever comes to my mind feelings, why I can't sleep, whatever...IDK try something like this maybe it will help?

Again, thank for a such long reply.
I've slept at 11pm last night and woke up at 04:44 and had the feeling that I was able to choose the sleep or waking up. And I woke up, wc and sit on my chair and I found myself repeating a song in my mind. Whatever, I made myself a cup of tea and ate cucumber and tomatoes only which were the only things that I felt like I would be okay if I eat. I wasn't feeling great at the morning. After all, I've spent time watching streams which I'd do at 10pm> and watched outside. I think I can live like that. As I can play with words and mainly write essais, its good to be able to watch the sunrise in the morning.

My solution is this:

Go to bed at 11pm.

I'm going to start those studying block this weekend or in week :)

Overall, I'm sleeping around 10-11pm and waking up at 04:44am. Will type down how I feel after some weeks.

Thanks for everyone replying

Reactions: Law