Feedback Not able to rename my rooms [BUG/SOLVED]

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by xDGameStudios, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

I'm having a strange bug I only realise this morning!!
    When I try to rename the room... the IDE just lets me rename, but then doesn't assume the new name...
    processes (in the top right corner there is the process icon) but nothing changes! :/

Is anyone having the same problem?!

2. shimatani

shimatani Guest

try to restart your gms2

3. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

restarting didn't do the trick... had to duplicate it and delete the old one!
    It works now! but it was like this for all 3 projects I'm making right now... (correcting it in one of them.. made it OK for every project).
    Strange bug!

BloodEnthused likes this.
  4. gnysek

gnysek Member

are you accepting change by pressing enter, or just by unclicking room (clicking anywhere else) ?

5. Mike

Mike nobody important GMC Elder

If it happens again, please don't nuke the project. Zip it up and file it as a bug so we can see what's gone wrong!

6. xDGameStudios

xDGameStudios Member

both i tried "enter" and also tried.. clicking anywhere else

I didn't nuke the project just deleted the room :)
    Next time I'll send you the project!

7. Mike

well.... you say potato... :potato:

Cheers!

8. JAG

JAG Member

@Mike this is happening in my project, do you know if a bug has been submitted yet? I can zip and report if not! (GMS2 OSX btw...)

Mike likes this.
  9. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Yes please! File a bug for it. :)

10. Amy_P

Amy_P Member

I've just upgraded to GameMaker 2 and I have had an issue renaming scripts and rooms too. I've noticed that I can rename them as long as I'm not using a name that I have used in any other GM2 project. For example, I just tried to name a room 'rm_main', which is a room name I often used in GMS projects (and have used in one other GM2 project) and it wouldn't accept the change, however r_main (which I haven't used in any other project) worked.

11. Mike

Do you have any other "resource" at all called that?

12. psyke

psyke Member

I had the same problem a few days ago but with sprites, the only way to fix it was to delete the sprite, close the IDE, reopen it and run the game before creating a new sprite.
    I have no idea how to reproduce this problem and why it happens, but I can confirm that it's possible to happen with other resources as well.

13. Amy_P

Amy_P Member

Nope.

14. Mike

open up the .yyp in a text editor, and search for that name. We've had odd occasions where there is a "dead" resource kept in the file but not displayed. If there is... it might be blocking the name change.

15. Amy_P

Amy_P Member

I've just opened the project up in WordPad and there is definitely no 'rm_main' resource. I've tried again to rename the room as rm_main and it still reverts back to the previous name. I just started a new project to see if I get the same results and had no issues, rm_main was accepted as the room name so I will use a new project.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but just a bit more info if you want it: I imported one of my GMS projects about an hour after creating the project that I am having issues with. I can not name scripts or rooms in my 'broken' project with the same name as any of the scripts or rooms in the imported project (objects and sprites don't seem to be affected). However, I have been able to use names of rooms that are used in my other GM2 projects.

16. Mike

If you have a project that's doing it 100%, then if you can ZIP up the offending project and file a bug with then we should be able to fix it.

http://www.yoyogames.com/bug2

17. AnomalousArcane

AnomalousArcane Member

Hey @Mike I too am having this problem. It seems to happen nearly 100% of the time when I duplicate an item, but naming a new resource seems to work normally. I am currently uploading the project to a sharing service. I suppose I should link to the Zip within the bug report?

18. Bardsley Creative

Bardsley Creative Member

I'm also having the same issue with my game. When i try to create a new room it always changes back to its original name once I duplicate another room and try to change it.

19. AnomalousArcane

AnomalousArcane Member

This situation seemed to resolve itself for me, after I restarted my pc. You could also try running an older run time?

20. Bardsley Creative

Bardsley Creative Member

Mine fixed itself when I saved the gamemaker file with a different name.

AnomalousArcane likes this.
  21. HansMills

HansMills Member

I had the same problem and fixed it. In the project folder\rooms folder there was a subfolder named with the name of the room I was trying to use, even thought the room did not exist. I deleted the folder and successfully renamed the room.

DarK_SaCoR likes this.
  22. bsabiston

bsabiston Member

This is happening to me today -- I don't have anything else with the room name in my yyp file.

23. BoB3k

BoB3k Member

I can confirm that this is still happening on the 2.2.0 build. Whatever stopped it the first time left a dead room of the new name in the project folder and i had to go delete it, and then after restarting, the rename worked.

24. PATHFINDER-SIX

PATHFINDER-SIX Member

Special thanks to HansMills - I found the same scenario and resolution. Inside the ...\folder\rooms directory I found an empty folder with the same name as I the name was trying to rename the room. I deleted the empty folder and I was able to successfully rename the room. I am unsure how this happened (possible user-error) as this was a new room that I had just created using the Duplicate function and this was the last folder in the ...\folder\rooms directory. It is possibly due to user-error as I may have renamed the room and then clicked off the name vs pressing enter after renaming. Again special thanks to HansMills for the pointing me to the issue and providing a work-around solution.

GM2info.png