Noob User

A

Amsheagar

Evening all.

I am a small time game designer, mainly card games and board games. I have two card games that i have completed but not yet released. I am wanting to expand my capacity to make games and hopefully help my small company, Games by a Madman or Two, grow to more than just one person doing all of the daily work. During the day, i am a teacher and don't have access to un-filtered interwebs. So i can't watch the videos on YouTube at work.. and when i get home i barely have time to eat and shower before i hit the hay. I am wondering if there is any written resources to read as an intro/tutorial for the first game on GML. I should note that i have no programming experience and the game i would love to make might be a bit complicated.

Thanks for any advice
Zack

Bingdom

Googledom
Hello, and welcome to the GMC!

I would like to recommend checking out this series to get you started

This guy is great at explaining things and I would recommend checking out his other beginner videos! :D

My advice is to start small, don't try to overwhelm yourself. Start on smaller projects before you get into the harder ones!

A

Amsheagar

I love watching videos... The only problems is i have to access videos/game sites on my phone while at work... I think i'm already over my limit for this month on data usage.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@Bingdom:

I am wondering if there is any written resources to read
:p

@Amsheagar: GMS comes with a great number of written tutorials that take you through different aspects of designing and creating a game. There is one in particular that is great for beginners as it takes you through every step from start to finish in making a "Breakout" style game, although most of the "Beginner" tutorials are pretty good too. Other than that, I'm afraid that written tutorials are pretty hard to come by, since it appears that everyone loves video tutorials (#sarcasm... I don't, and I much prefer written source material :p). A long-time user (and very cool gamedev) Chevy Ray has compiled a list of great tutorials over at Tig, so I'd also give them a look-see: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=3142.0

A

Amsheagar

Thank you Nocturne, i just opened that link and will comb through it. I am gonna look again at the program.. might have missed those tutorials.

TheouAegis

Go to the Archived Forums (or whatever it's called, the last "forum" on this board). There's a ton of codes available to read, as well as lots and lots of tutorials for various things in GM (that are supposed to be fully written out in order to have even been posted). The Tech Blogs by some of the devs and mods can be useful reads as well (although they might be more intermediate level).