*noob alert* How to use high res images because they get compressed?

J

Jesser

Hi, im trying to use high resolution images, but i have always used pixel art in my games. But my nooby brain does not understand this: with pixel art the screen is quickly filled up with "art" in for instance 32x32. But when i try to use for instance 128x128 images and make the room 4 times bigger and set the window to fullscreen, everything gets compressed pretty poorly and stuff. Is there any way to fix this so it looks good or a way to make it easy? I saw some things about lossy compression but i dont know where to change that stuff.
Thanks and sorry for bad english and noobyness
Jesser

RangerX

Are you using views? Because if you don't, the resolution of your game becomes the room size. So basically the whole room will get crammed into whatever screen resolution your monitor is using (therefore probably damaging your graphics like you describe)

J

Jesser

Are you using views? Because if you don't, the resolution of your game becomes the room size. So basically the whole room will get crammed into whatever screen resolution your monitor is using (therefore probably damaging your graphics like you describe)
Im not using views, the room size is 4096 by 3072, but the thing i dont understand is my screen is only 1920 by 1080 so is that the reason they get compressed. Also i dont understand why other games DO have nice graphics and are not pixelated or stuff. How can i fix this because my images are still compressed.

RangerX

You are asking GameMaker to take 4096x3072 pixels (basically 12 millions of pixels) and you ask it to shrink it into 1920x1080.... lol
No game in this world runs at a resolution of 4096x3072. And for pixel art games its even WAY LESS than 1920x1080.

Start by having a view and viewport of 1920x1080. But then again, your game will look crappy when someone plays it at a lower resolution (like many people are still using 1366x768)

J

Jesser

But is there a way that i can still use my 128x128 sprites in a 1920x1080 room (no views or stuff) without not being able to place a lot of those objects in my room. if i would use these things i can only put like about 15 of those objects horizontally, and i want more but not compressed. Is there a way?
Sorry for all my noobiness

J

Jesser

Because if you for instance look at this picture of a game which i added in this message, it doesnt look compressed at all and im sure they are not using 32x32 sprites? how can i do that as well, i mean use high resolution sprites but it must fit in the room (1920x1080 for instance) and i dont want it to be compressed?

Attachments

rIKmAN

But is there a way that i can still use my 128x128 sprites in a 1920x1080 room (no views or stuff) without not being able to place a lot of those objects in my room. if i would use these things i can only put like about 15 of those objects horizontally, and i want more but not compressed. Is there a way?
You are asking if you can have more than 15 (1920 / 128) images side by side on a 1920 screen?
Not on a static screen because there isn't space for more at 128px wide, but if you use views and scroll the room you could have more.

RangerX

Don't try to fight how the engine works. The resolution of your game will end up being the size you give your view. If you don't use views (something you should NOT do) then the room size become the game's resolution.
The size of your sprite is having nothing to do with this all and of course you can use 128x128 sprites.