Suggestion Non-marketplace assets forum

GMWolf

aka fel666
Though the market place is great, many people choose to host their assets on other websites for a variety of reasons.

However, there is no place here on the GMC to advertise assets not hosted on the marketplace.

It would be great to see a forum section dedicated to assets and tools, where people could advertise both paid and free assets.

I'm sure this would be a welcome addition as a number of people already have assets or tools on websites such as itch.IO, and would love to see them here on the GMC for more exposure.

Roderick

Wouldn't Yoyo giving us a place to advertise things sold on other sites be a conflict of interests?

I see that kinda like McDonald's having a Wendy's menu and directions to the nearest one posted at their till.

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
A section for things that do not fall into "tutorials" section' requirements (akin to differences between "demos" and "tutorials" sections in GMS) nor justifiable for marketplace [1] would be nice - the old forum had a "tutorials / examples" section while here we just have "tutorials". Perhaps "assets / examples".

[1] The current asset format adds a lot of unnecessary friction for packaging and updating examples. Uploading a GMZ to FTP or file hosting service is mere seconds of work, in comparison.

D

Dark

It'd be nice with any option other than the marketplace for sharing free assets with the community here... It's fun to do free assets and share them but with all the work it takes to put up one asset (particularly screenshots, and a lot of asset types such as sets of math scripts don't even have anything visual in them) it doesn't always seem worth it.

GMWolf

aka fel666
It'd be nice with any option other than the marketplace for sharing free assets with the community here... It's fun to do free assets and share them but with all the work it takes to put up one asset (particularly screenshots, and a lot of asset types such as sets of math scripts don't even have anything visual in them) it doesn't always seem worth it.
Actually that's very true!
Sometimes you just want to share something. Making you do work for it is not the best.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
This isn't a big chore. A single screenshot of the functions, or scripts and a blank one isn't exactly complicated to do.

As a company, the Marketplace is where we want assets shared. It's simple to upload to, and it makes it the main source for all GMS content, and so users know where to find things. We're not particularly interested in non-marketplace assets.

GMWolf

aka fel666
This isn't a big chore. A single screenshot of the functions, or scripts and a blank one isn't exactly complicated to do.

As a company, the Marketplace is where we want assets shared. It's simple to upload to, and it makes it the main source for all GMS content, and so users know where to find things. We're not particularly interested in non-marketplace assets.
@Ragarnak told me otherwise...

G

grixm

This is something I've been missing since the old forum too.. Tried to air the suggestion when this forum first opened but the admins seemed less than enthusiastic. Some kinds of assets simply aren't suited for the marketplace as it exists right now, and yet more might be suited but aren't there anyway for whatever other reasons.

GMWolf

aka fel666
Ragarnak said:
Make a suggestion about it in the Community Chat forum. The moderating staff has already suggested this, but they're inclined not to add one unless they see "enough" community demand. Since you guys have never asked for it, they have never considered adding one. :)
@Mike thats what @Ragarnak said in this profile post. (no idea if this link will work, hope it will)

I also want to point out sharing tools on the marketplace is... less than optimal.
But there are a large set of tools GM would benefit from, and many people are are already making great tools! My favourite not is GMDoc.
But there are plenty more to be made. If we had a nice place to share them on the forums, perhaps we would see more of them.
This would be a great oportunity for YYG. Currentl i feel GM is not reaching its full potential because of the lack of community dev going on. Its very hard to make tools for it. and when we do, YYG gets all control freak and doesnt let us share it.

Mike

nobody important
GMC Elder
I've already said this...but here we go again.

If it's on the forum, it is hidden. While some here may find them, there are hundreds of thousands of GameMaker users that don't come to the forums, and this makes a potentially valuable asset invisible.
Since the Marketplace is built into the product, and we can push notifications about the marketplace out to users via the news page or new carousel, this makes the marketplace FAR more visible, and a much more valuable place to share resources than a hidden topic on what is actually a fairly obscure forum. If every gamemaker user was on here, I might agree - but they aren't. Not even close.

So again.... if you want to share things, the Marketplace is the place to do it. We are looking to improve the sharing tools on there soon I hope.