• Hey! Guest! The 40th (!!!) GMC Jam will take place between February 25th, 12:00 UTC to March 1st 12:00 UTC. Why not join in this very special anniversary jam! Click here to find out more!

3D noise vertex problem

duran can

Hi everyone, im trying to create 3d map with noise.
Like this video
i think someting wrong 😅
1.png
GML:
gpu_set_ztestenable(true);
gpu_set_zwriteenable(true);

w=600;
h=600;
size=4;

vertex_format_begin();
vertex_format_add_position_3d();
vertex_format_add_normal();
vertex_format_add_texcoord();
vertex_format_add_color();
vertex_format = vertex_format_end();

vbuffer = vertex_create_buffer();
vertex_begin(vbuffer, vertex_format);

var iof=0;
for (var i = 0; i < w; i += size) {
    var jof=0;
for (var j = 0; j < h; j += size) {

jof+=0.1;z[i,j]=noise(iof,jof,1);
}
iof+=0.1;
}

for (var i = 0; i < w; i += size) {
    for (var j = 0; j < h-size; j += size) {
        if ((i % (size*2) == 0 && j % (size*2) == 0) || (i % (size*2) > 0 && j % (size*2) > 0)) {
            var color = c_blue;
        } else {
            var color = c_white;
        }

vertex_add_point(vbuffer, i, j, z[i,j],                0, 0, 1,        0, 0,       color, 1);
        vertex_add_point(vbuffer, i + size, j, z[i,j],           0, 0, 1,        0, 0,       color, 1);
        vertex_add_point(vbuffer, i + size, j + size, z[i,j],      0, 0, 1,        0, 0,       color, 1);

vertex_add_point(vbuffer, i + size, j + size, z[i,j+size],      0, 0, 1,        0, 0,       color, 1);
        vertex_add_point(vbuffer, i, j + size, z[i,j+size],           0, 0, 1,        0, 0,       color, 1);
        vertex_add_point(vbuffer, i, j, z[i,j+size],                0, 0, 1,        0, 0,       color, 1);
    }
}

vertex_end(vbuffer);

sp202

I think you're better off doing that in a vertex shader. Currently your triangles are disconnected from each other, in the shader you can use in_Position as an input to the noise function such that each vertex at a given position is at the same height.

duran can

I think you're better off doing that in a vertex shader. Currently your triangles are disconnected from each other, in the shader you can use in_Position as an input to the noise function such that each vertex at a given position is at the same height.
i dont have any idea about shaders.

sp202

That's fine, was just a suggestion that'll improve performance if you want to start animating. The real issue is that you're using the same noise array index for all 3 vertices of a triangle, you need to offset the index when you offset the position.