1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice

Windows No sound when running Windows build on IDE

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by harambe1, Nov 1, 2019.

1. harambe1

harambe1 Member

Hey guys so I'ce had this problem for a while. There is no sound for me when running the game from the IDE. Before it was like 50-50 chance of having sound when running it but now there's totally no sound.

Same for my Windows build - I play it - sometimes there's sound and sometimes no sound. Any idea about this? Thanks!

2. Daniel Mallett

Daniel Mallett Member

I presume that you're convinced there is no problem with the code. Before you supply any code would you be able to start a new project play a sound on a mouse click or something and report back your findings?

harambe1 likes this.
  3. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

Check the settings for your default sound device in the GameMaker Preferences if you havent already.

4. harambe1

harambe1 Member

Thanks! I tried looking into it but there is only one default device which is my laptop speaker and it is already set to that one :/

5. IndianaBones

IndianaBones Member

Ah, ok then, I just mentioned it because I had found one time that even if I had headphones plugged in to my computer, the GMS audio Preferences would override it and still play the sound through the computer speakers if I had them set as default.

As the others suggested, maybe post your sound playing code in case there is an issue there.

harambe1 likes this.
  6. harambe1

harambe1 Member

Sorry, didnt see your post earlier. Yeah Im pretty sure it's not from my code, because it works like 50% of the time, and my android builds have sound. But as you suggested I will try to make a sound in a new project

7. harambe1

harambe1 Member

Yeah just tested it now, confirmed it still has no sound. I will try to uninstall and reinstall. I dont see anyone else having this problem

8. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Check the GMS2 isn't muted in the Sound Mixer (right click the speaker icon in the system tray).

Also, is the game not playing sound when run or you can't hear sound when you try to play them inside the Sound Editor?

harambe1 likes this.
  9. harambe1

harambe1 Member

Thanks, yeah I checked, it was not muted. It is playing sound when I play it in the sound editor. Just now I tried runnign it and it made a sound. Then I closed it and tried it again, no sound this time. It's super weird. I'll update after I uninstall

10. harambe1

harambe1 Member

I tried to uninstall and reinstall, still no sound :/

11. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

Did you check what IndianaBones said after re-installing to make sure it was set to the right device?

Weird that it works on one run and not on another - update your sound drivers and see if that helps.

Desktop, Laptop?
    Windows 7, Windows 10?
    What version of GMS2?

12. harambe1

harambe1 Member

Yeah it is set to the right device. Oh yeah I havent thought of updating my sound driver. lemme try that!
    -Laptop
    -Windows 10
    -Latest version as of today