[NO LONGER ACTIVE] Megaman3

Bentley

Edit: Thanks @Siolfor the Jackal for the great review, and thanks to anyone who checked it out. I'm going to work on a different project.

This is a clone of Megaman3, Topman’s level. I use the word “clone” loosely. A lot of things are missing and some things have been changed.

Screenshots
Screenshot 2018-05-17 07.37.03.png
Screenshot 2018-05-17 07.37.24.png

At the moment, the game ends after defeating the first miniboss. In other words, I’m about halfway done with the level.

Controls
-Right Arrow: move right

-Left Arrow: move left

-Up Arrow: jump

-Down Arrow: slide

-Spacebar: shoot

-Control: detach from a ladder.

Up and down are also for climbing up and down ladders. If you detach from a ladder, you can reattach by pressing up.

The game starts in fullscreen.
-Press “F”: in/out of fullscreen.
-Escape: quit.

I wish I could have found the music for Topman’s stage. But YouTube, "Megaman3 Topman's Theme", and it'll be as if the music is in the game : )

Play
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tenounjtac0ac5/MegaMan.zip?dl=0

I was thinking of increasing the difficulty after you beat the level: adding in more enemies, new enemies, and so forth.

I would really appreciate feedback. What should I add in to make it more fun?

Extra: there’s no way to reach the upper platform in room 5 (RC’s spring hasn’t been added). BUT: if you find a way to kill the enemy up there, I’ll give you the ultimate prize (and I’ll know if you lied b/c he drops a unique item).

Last edited:
Hey, man. Glad you finally posted this.
It's a bit rough but you have a good start here.
Firstly I will say, you did very well with the enemies. They behave perfectly, just how I remember!
I'll list any issues I found in bullet points:
  • Megaman moves waaaay too fast.
  • Megaman's sprites aren't centred properly(and it looks like you may be using the wrong idle sprite?)
  • Megaman's sprites also look a bit stretched or deformed or something, I can't quite place my finger on it(as did parts of the stage and the healthbar).
  • Megaman's run animation should have an extra frame, couldn't quite see it properly because it animates so fast, but there should be 3 sprites in the order 1-2-3-2 then repeat.
  • No variable jump. You should be able to let go of the jump button early and it stops you from reaching your full height.
  • Ladders are a bit buggy, I couldn't climb back up top of them.
  • The spike pit left me permanently stuck in the hurt frame so I couldn't get out of it.
  • The room with the cat doesn't have a right wall, and the ladder doesn't work. I fell through both and got stuck off screen.
  • You should maybe consider changing how the controls work, traditionally when on a ladder, you can use jump to disengage, but you have jump and climb as the same button. This may also become an issue later if you plan to include any weapons like Shadow Man's stars which you can press up or down to change their direction. At this point you'd jump every time you want to shoot at an upwards angle.
Like I said, I think you have a very good start here. I look forward to seeing you work more on it. And if you need any help, PM me, I have plenty of code and tricks for Megaman since I'm working on my own MM clone.

P.S.

Bentley

Thanks a lot for playing Siolfor, and thanks a lot for the feedback. I will take it to heart. I appreciate you taking the time.

And I will surely take you up on your offer. Half the reason I made this was to talk about the code, and who better than you? Thanks a bunch.

By the way, I looove the image you posted : )

Last edited: