• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE No Isometric Support?

B

Beep

Am I right that there is no possibility for isometric graphics in Studio 2?

In the room editor, when you select a tileset, the grid snap settings are locked to whatever the tile size is, meaning you can't have overlapping tiles.

Am I being stupid and just not doinitrite? Or is there some way around this?

If not, please add this functionality to the release version, if not to the Beta

makas

Mike said that it will add isometric tile support in someway but the current tile system is the way is supposed tiles work the grid should be always be the size of the tiles, but there are still a lot of ways to draw your isometric tiles, thanks to the new functionality of being able to put sprites directly on the room... using different layers for tiles also help, he also refered to the isometric example on the gms:1 that system still works on GMS2

M

Monkeysaur

Mike said that it will add isometric tile support in someway but the current tile system is the way is supposed tiles work the grid should be always be the size of the tiles, but there are still a lot of ways to draw your isometric tiles, thanks to the new functionality of being able to put sprites directly on the room... using different layers for tiles also help, he also refered to the isometric example on the gms:1 that system still works on GMS2
Is anyone able to say if there are still plans to add isometric tile support or if there has been any progress on this?

Hope it's Ok for me to reply to this thread, I did a search and saw this so I figured I would ask.

Thanks!

2DKnights

Am I right that there is no possibility for isometric graphics in Studio 2?

In the room editor, when you select a tileset, the grid snap settings are locked to whatever the tile size is, meaning you can't have overlapping tiles.

Am I being stupid and just not doinitrite? Or is there some way around this?

If not, please add this functionality to the release version, if not to the Beta
you can do isometric tiles with square tiles old games did this all the time.
Where you should focus is on how you draw and layer your tiles. A basic iso tile can be done with 3 square tiles types (if you flip or rotate) or you can draw the flipped tiles instead.

[edted for grammar]

Attachments

Last edited:

sylvain_l

+1 for @2DKnights
there are a lot of ways to do isometric rendering. Some using math to handle the coodinates of the iso cells by yourself. And some other are just about being creative with the use of the actual square grid to have a result that looks iso.

T

Teddyboy16

I know its got gamemaker support but I am unsure if it extends to gms2.

Its a pretty great tool and has a bunch of isometric specific features.
It currently supports Gamemaker 1.4. He said that it would be possible to support Gamemaker Studio 2 in the future. Tiled 1.0 was just released. There is no 2.0 support yet but lots of other goodies to play with! :)