Suggestion No Installers on Demos

E

Ethanicus

I'm not sure if this is already a rule or not, but it happens often enough to be annoying that someone will have a two minute long game and I have to go through the installation process, then the UNinstallation process, every time I check it out.

Basically, we should just say if it's relatively small, make it an executable, not an installer.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
This is not a rule we can enforce and is up to the user to decide what to do, both the creator and the player. Basically, if you dislike installers, cancel it after starting and then go post in the topic explaining why and requesting they post a Zip or EXE. Note that really only ZIP files are best (in my opinion) as single EXEs can be flagged by windows as potential malware, and installers for small games are (as you say) annoying. If you don't let the person know that they are losing potential plays for using the installer then they won't change...

E

Ethanicus

This is not a rule we can enforce and is up to the user to decide what to do, both the creator and the player. Basically, if you dislike installers, cancel it after starting and then go post in the topic explaining why and requesting they post a Zip or EXE. Note that really only ZIP files are best (in my opinion) as single EXEs can be flagged by windows as potential malware, and installers for small games are (as you say) annoying. If you don't let the person know that they are losing potential plays for using the installer then they won't change...
Thanks for the comment! I'm aware it's not enforceable, but I would think we could maybe put it as at least a suggestion somewhere.

A

Aura

We might also want to link to the Manual entry concerning distribution of games to Windows. Many people compile their games as installers, since they are not aware of the fact that there are other available options as well. Installers are chosen as the compile type by default; and that's what they distribute.

N

NPT

According to Mike, single exe's aren't reliable enough for them to work properly on all platforms. This is why he won't consider allowing Studio users to change the default from Installer to exe.

If exe's are sufficiently stable enough for the forums to suggest executabes be posted using them, they should be considered stable enough for us to change our preferred default output.