• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - IDE No confirmation required when deleting assets...

As of the past few weeks, every time I delete something from the resource tree I'm not prompted to confirm my deletion anymore. I've looked all over in preferences trying to find out how to change this back, but I don't remember altering it in the first place. I prefer to have the confirmation prompt come up every time because it's too easy for me to delete an entire folder of assets.

thx

Edit: I too should add that this is happening across numerous different projects... I'm using 2.2.5.481

Last edited:

Roldy

As of the past few weeks, every time I delete something from the resource tree I'm not prompted to confirm my deletion anymore. I've looked all over in preferences trying to find out how to change this back, but I don't remember altering it in the first place. I prefer to have the confirmation prompt come up every time because it's too easy for me to delete an entire folder of assets.

thx

Edit: I too should add that this is happening across numerous different projects... I'm using 2.2.5.481
File->Preferences->Resource Tree->Confirm Dialogs->Automatic Repsonse to resource deletion.

Additionally, if you are not already using a VCS then start doing so. It provides another method for resolving these issues.

File->Preferences->Resource Tree->Confirm Dialogs->Automatic Repsonse to resource deletion.

Additionally, if you are not already using a VCS then start doing so. It provides another method for resolving these issues.
Thanks for that! What's "VCS?"

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I also strongly recommend starting to use Git. Having more confirmation dialogs will make you more annoyed (and more likely to just click "yes" without thinking because MOST of the time you delete things intentionally - this habitual error is a well known psychological phenomenon) but if you can just undo any change you do to a project, it doesn't matter how many folders of resources you delete; you can bring them back once you realize the mistake. (As long as you make commits often enough, at least - a version control system won't do you any good if you don't have any versions)

I also strongly recommend starting to use Git. Having more confirmation dialogs will make you more annoyed (and more likely to just click "yes" without thinking because MOST of the time you delete things intentionally - this habitual error is a well known psychological phenomenon) but if you can just undo any change you do to a project, it doesn't matter how many folders of resources you delete; you can bring them back once you realize the mistake. (As long as you make commits often enough, at least - a version control system won't do you any good if you don't have any versions)
Yeh, I think I dig that approach... Is a Git a third-party thing?

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Yeh, I think I dig that approach... Is a Git a third-party thing?
Git is a version control system designed by Linus "the guy that made Linux" Torvalds. (Tsuka just gave you the link to its official site).

My personal recommendation would be to get the windows installer, and only install the command-line version. (The GUI version has so many options it's just overwhelming to use, and you'll mostly use the same handful of commands 99% of the time anyway). When it asks what command line interface you want to use, stick with the default "Bash" (this installs the Cygwin environment and a lot of the UNIX core utilities that Bash needs to run) and make sure to tick the box to add "Git bash here" to the Windows right-click context menu. Now you not only have installed Git in the easiest-to-use(-after-you-learn-the-basics) form, you also have a much better command-line interpreter than Windows' default version. Bash's main killer feature is that if you press Tab after typing the beginning of a word, it will fill in the rest of the word for you (if there's more than one possible word, it ends where they diverge). Once you get a hang of it, you really feel like the computer is reading your mind and does everything for you.

The basic Git workflow is:

Code:
git add -A
git commit -m "Add that new feature I talked about"
git push origin master
(Adding basically caches files for a commit; the -A flag means "all changed files in the repository". Committing makes this an official point on the timeline tree which you can later revert to if needed, and pushing shoves all your changes to a remote repo, typically an online mirror, so it can be shared with other project members, or used to restore your files if your computer suffers a terrible fate)

Before you can actually add/commit/push you need to set up a repo and link it to a cloud repo; both Bitbucket and Github (the two biggest cloud repo providers) just gives you a command you can copypaste with all the URLs and stuff in place after you create a new empty repo.

The Git timeline tree can be viewed with the command gitk, which displays the following thing. I use it all the time; once you understand what all this information means it's really good at letting you visualize what the differences between different versions are (and since you can see the diff in each commit, you can easily find specific versions to copypaste added/removed code, etc)
1597952224366.png

Git is a version control system designed by Linus "the guy that made Linux" Torvalds. (Tsuka just gave you the link to its official site).

My personal recommendation would be to get the windows installer, and only install the command-line version. (The GUI version has so many options it's just overwhelming to use, and you'll mostly use the same handful of commands 99% of the time anyway). When it asks what command line interface you want to use, stick with the default "Bash" (this installs the Cygwin environment and a lot of the UNIX core utilities that Bash needs to run) and make sure to tick the box to add "Git bash here" to the Windows right-click context menu. Now you not only have installed Git in the easiest-to-use(-after-you-learn-the-basics) form, you also have a much better command-line interpreter than Windows' default version. Bash's main killer feature is that if you press Tab after typing the beginning of a word, it will fill in the rest of the word for you (if there's more than one possible word, it ends where they diverge). Once you get a hang of it, you really feel like the computer is reading your mind and does everything for you.

The basic Git workflow is:

Code:
git add -A
git commit -m "Add that new feature I talked about"
git push origin master
(Adding basically caches files for a commit; the -A flag means "all changed files in the repository". Committing makes this an official point on the timeline tree which you can later revert to if needed, and pushing shoves all your changes to a remote repo, typically an online mirror, so it can be shared with other project members, or used to restore your files if your computer suffers a terrible fate)

Before you can actually add/commit/push you need to set up a repo and link it to a cloud repo; both Bitbucket and Github (the two biggest cloud repo providers) just gives you a command you can copypaste with all the URLs and stuff in place after you create a new empty repo.

The Git timeline tree can be viewed with the command gitk, which displays the following thing. I use it all the time; once you understand what all this information means it's really good at letting you visualize what the differences between different versions are (and since you can see the diff in each commit, you can easily find specific versions to copypaste added/removed code, etc)
View attachment 33534
I appreciate the help, but this stuff is over my head. Thank you for taking the time. I need a simpler way. I think that given that I'm on a Mac, I'll just go into one of my two time machine drives to access an earlier version of my project and parse that in the event that I delete something really valuable.