• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Linux No audio under Linux

A

AdamJ

I've had to move from GMS to GMS 2 and the port has gone fairly smoothly, except for an issue with sound under Ubuntu. When I build to Ubuntu, I get the error message "Failed to load libopenal.so: no sound will be played". The same (unported) code built to the same Linux box using GMS works and audio is fine, thus the problem is only showing up in GMS 2.

I've checked to make sure that all the required libraries are in place, and they seem to be. I would be very grateful for suggestions as to what I can try.

A

AdamJ

Thanks! I checked, though, and libopenal1 is installed, and I followed the steps outlined. I'm assuming that something is different in the Linux runner from GMS2 from GMS2 - I'm having no problem running the game from GMS1 on to the Linux computer, and all sound is fine, as the problem only shows up with GMS2.

T

TalkyLemon

Hi AdamJ - I think we have recently fixed a bug relating to this - https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29395

As a workaround until the next runtime release you could try running:

sudo apt install libopenal-dev

as we were only attempting to load the dev version of the library.

Hope this helps,

Pete.

chubigans

I did the work around as well but it seems to make the audio about 25% slower and have a lot of crackle noise. This wasn't an issue with previous runtimes.

D

Darkside

I'm having the same issue as chubigans. Music files are playing slowly and there is bad crackling. This is affecting my production version of my game. Is there another way I can fix this? This has been an issue for around 2 months. When will it be fixed?

The bug site: https://bugs.yoyogames.com/view.php?id=29395 states this has been resolved? When will this resolution be part of a GMS2 release/runtime?