• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

No assets

I

isaac_pilgrim

Greetings my fellow GameMakers, I ran into an interesting-yet-frustrating problem and I don't know how to solve it.
Regardless of what project I'm in, everytime I run the file, the game just doesn't show anything on screen, only the background color set for the room, but no objects, no sprites, anything. This even happens with brand new projects that I created to test it, and I'm lost. :(

Please help a brother out, this has happened since 2.3 came out and I cannot find anything on the manual either.

Thank you!

Amon

Ok, this issue is popping up more and more and is a definite bug in 2.3. Others have had success with cleaning their project before compiling. Others have had success with just closing the sprite window after they import or create a sprite and then cleaning the project. I apologise if this doesn't work. It appears to be a random incident but a real one.

So, try closing the sprite window before compiling, clean your project with the clean button within the ide, delete cache within preferences etc and lets see if you are lucky enough to be one of the few which has had success when doing this.

I

isaac_pilgrim

Ok, this issue is popping up more and more and is a definite bug in 2.3. Others have had success with cleaning their project before compiling. Others have had success with just closing the sprite window after they import or create a sprite and then cleaning the project. I apologise if this doesn't work. It appears to be a random incident but a real one.

So, try closing the sprite window before compiling, clean your project with the clean button within the ide, delete cache within preferences etc and lets see if you are lucky enough to be one of the few which has had success when doing this.
I didn't know more people were having this problem, but I tried clearing the cache and cleaning the project wigh the IDE and still showing just background.

Should I report the bug?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Please do report a bug and include a link to the project so the devs can look at it. After doing that, one thing you can try is going into the Texture Group manager (from the Tools menu) and creating a new texture group then assigning all your sprites to that. I suspect that the issue here is related to the default texture group so this may be a workaround until it gets fixed.

R

Raikou

Greetings!

I came across this thread earlier today, and I have to say, I was relieved to see that I was not alone with this issue. After reading this thread, I attempted to clean and run my projects, but I found that not a single one would show any of the objects (still). All I could get was the background layer's color to display.

I took Nocturne's advice and submitted a ticket regarding this issue, and I am pleased to share that I got a response and have fixed the issue on my computer (so far so good, anyway). This was an extremely frustrating roadblock, so I am sharing the short version of what I have learned in the hopes that everyone struggling with this can get back to making games ASAP.
*The information below is based on my personal experiences and may not work for everyone. But I can hope!

---------------------------
Summary: In the shift to 2.3, certain changes were made such that your antivirus software may block essential actions. (This is my personal understanding.)

Resolution:
1. Search for all instances of "antivirus" in this link: https://help.yoyogames.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022953052
2. Follow the relevant instructions in your own antivirus software (as always, exercise due caution when making changes to your antivirus software)
3. Open GMS 2.3
4. Open a project (in my case, all projects experienced this issue)
5. Press the Clean button (little broom icon)
6. Run the project and see if the issue is still present
---------------------------

These are the steps I took to get from seeing nothing to seeing everything properly when I run a project.

I hope this helps!