• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Discussion Nintendo is the best art ever made and here's why.

M

Misty

After exploring a lifetime of art, and never finding the true satisfaction and ecstasy one felt as a child - one has no choice but to face the facts - that Nintendo is the best art ever made.
Mona Lisa was made by a genius, Mozart was a genius....but the aesthetics of Nintendo are not even genius, but beyond genius, reaching sublime heights into the heavens and otherworldly territories! Praised art is a celebration of the mundane, but Nintendo is even beyond the mundane, it is all that glitters.
Nintendo has given us these masterpieces, which has forever touched our lives with their beauty and glory:
Super Mario 3
Mario Kart 64
Super Mario 2
Pokemon TV show
Super Mario 64
Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (3 was ok though)
F-Zero
Super Smash Bros
Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
Goldeneye 007
Perfect Dark
Banjo Kazooie
Star Fox Saga
Mario Golf
These titles can be said as no less than divinity descended unto Earth, touching our human hands with their beauty and grace.

Without Nintendo, there can be said no reason to take one more breathe of air.
As I grow older, the nostalgia of Nintendo fades from my consciousness....I only wish for a fresh consciousness free of the despair I have known so long, only to feel childhood innocence again and once again behold the angelic glory of Nintendo's evanescence.

Mortal Kombat, nice, but not true masterpiece, Soul Caliber, nice, Dead or Alive, cheap. Out of all of these style I have to say Time Crisis comes closest to aristocratic perfection and ornate anime genius.
Let us examine some other franchises.
Such as Megaman, Simpsons, TMNT, Streets of Rage, Metal Slug, etc.
These are all fun entertainment, but do not have the sublime dreamy atmosphere like Nintendo.

2nd place goes to: Various Animes, My Little Pony, My Little Pony Equestria Girls movies, Raptor Call of the Shadows, Star Wars 4,5,6, Spongebob Saga

Games with genius soundtracks yet did not make it to the list: Chrono Trigger, because although the soundtrack is sublime and 10/10, it is not quite as uplifting as nintendo atmosphere.

Some Honorable Mentions are: Sonic the Hedgehog atmosphere (because of the romantic atmosphere), Quake 3, Daytona and Outrun remake, various Wild Tangent and NovaLogic titles, Carnivores Cityscape (better atmosphere than Turok IMO), Heretic (slightly better atmosphere than Hexen or DOOM IMO), Space Cadet Pinball, Super Monkeyball, Halo 1 (not Halo 2), Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger.

Some games that had a good atmosphere, but did not make it to the list due to their negative energy was Metal Gear Solid Saga, and Gears of War.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Okay, I am now 100% convinced that you are a troll, but a mastermind genius troll.
And you've been fooling me all this time, I cannot believe it, I feel a bit humiliated.
You have surpassed me in the art of trolling... Rise, new champion! Now I can rest in peace knowing that the legacy of trolling on the GMC/YYGF will be continued with success. Now, continue to piss people off, make terrible arguments, and make stupid topics, because that is what a troll does. But this time, I will laugh, and it will make me happy.

M

MikeDark_x

Okay, I am now 100% convinced that you are a troll
And you just noticed? I thought it was obvious from the start... Well I might be too used to deal with trolls but it seemed pretty obvious to me...

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
C'mon guys. This isn't a "troll topic". The language is obvious hyperbole. Just fun. Misty likes Nintendo art, and has started a discussion about it. Could be a good discussion.

I like the Nintendo art too. Can't say it's my favorite, but there's no doubt that many Nintendo characters and worlds are some of the most recognized in the game world. Right up there with Disney. I was just googling around to see who (person or team) actually created those characters.

Looks like these three names come up:
Shigeru Miyamoto
Yōichi Kotabe
Shigefumi Hino

M

Misty

C'mon guys. This isn't a "troll topic".
I agree.
I do not view it as trolling, but a service, a service to do two things - create a museum and worldwide recognition for Nintendo's and various other games and media as the artful masterpieces they truly are and - educate the world with various game reviews.

There are some key things I forgot in my original post that I need to say. Firstly, in modern times, games such as "World of Goo", "Limbo", and "Fez' are hailed as artful masterpieces. But in my eyes, this is merely a facade.
Can "Fez" really compare to the atmosphere of Metroid Prime?
Can "Limbo" compare to the atmosphere of Metroid's darkness?
Can "Shadow Complex" compare to Metroid Prime?
Can "World of Goo" compare to Mario Kart 64's atmosphere?
Can "Tomb Raider" compare to Zelda?

The answer to these questions are all a resounding "no". None of these game's atmosphere's even come close to holding a candle to Nintendo's atmosphere. In modern times we are left with hollow remnants of pretentious replacements of what is truly art.

Can't say it's my favorite
May I ask, what is your favorite?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Can "Fez" really compare to the atmosphere of Metroid Prime?
Can "Limbo" compare to the atmosphere of Metroid's darkness?
Can "Shadow Complex" compare to Metroid Prime?
Can "World of Goo" compare to Mario Kart 64's atmosphere?
Can "Tomb Raider" compare to Zelda?
Apple and oranges comparison, of course. Like asking whether Rubens is better than Picasso. I think it's more useful to compare art and artists within similar genres.

(snip)...a service to do two things - create a museum and worldwide recognition for Nintendo's and various other games and media as the artful masterpieces
Already done. Many internationally known museums of art have displays of video game art. And Nintendo artwork is featured prominently. Some of these are permanent exhibits, and others are temporary loaned exhibitions from the Smithsonian Institute.

M

Misty

Apple and oranges comparison, of course. Like asking whether Rubens is better than Picasso. I think it's more useful to compare art and artists within similar genres.
All of them were direct comparisons except for World of Goo. World of Goo has no equivalent Nintendo game to compare to.

Already done. Many internationally known museums of art have displays of video game art. And Nintendo artwork is featured prominently. Some of these are permanent exhibits, and others are temporary loaned exhibitions from the Smithsonian Institute.
It must also include playable demos as well, for the core of the art is in the box.

Can't say it's my favorite
What is your favorite?

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
All of them were direct comparisons (snip)
The games themselves share some similar thematic elements -- such as Zelda and Tomb Raider. But their artistic styles are very dissimilar. That's what I meant by similar genres. I should have said artistic styles.

It must also include playable demos as well, for the core of the art is in the box.
That's a good point. Video game art isn't just to be looked at, statically. It's to be manipulated dynamically by the player. I think some of the museum displays are video displays. Not sure whether that includes the ability of the museum visitor to actually play the games. But I have seen some old arcade museums with working machines that visitors can actually play.

M

Misu

I assume those who said its a troll topic despise Nintendo or believe they (Nintendo) are inferior in all ways. I hate these kind of people.
Cant they just respect a game company how it is?

M

MikeDark_x

I assume those who said its a troll topic despise Nintendo or believe they (Nintendo) are inferior in all ways. I hate these kind of people.
I don't know... it's just the way Misty said it sounds a little bit sarcastic...

F

F_Clowder

This Nintendo stuffery is ok but I prefer the beautiful art of Manic Miner or Jet Set Willy on the ZX Sinclair Spectrum.

N

NPT

A suggestion?

You relly need to reevaluate your assumptions.

M

Misty

but art and beauty are not the measure of truth
This is coming from the guy that said "Dreams" are the one true reality...

Nintendo's music is dreamlike though.

G

Galladhan

now here is what is being done with the yoshi new island music

[...]

i mean this is so bad that people have made onion style articles talking about how the sound track has been used by the americans as a torture device
Yoshi's New Island has been developed by Arzest/Imageepoch and the OST has been composed by Masayoshi Ishi, which has nothing to do with Nintendo :p

Oh by the way: Donkey Kong Country 2 is from Rare, not Nintendo. So are GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie. I like to point out this detail cause i don't like Rare very much, while i absolutely love Nintendo ;)

G

Galladhan

I've had this high quality Nintendo hidden in my bed for 1000 years, and now I want to share it with the worl d.

This is one of the worst false step in Nintendo history, in my opinion, almost comparable to the SNES-CD (i won't cite the Virtual Boy, cause it has its importance, even if it was almost unusable). Before someone misunderstands, though, this crap for CD-i has NOT been developed by Nintendo (the culprit is Philips, actually). :)

Edit: Oops, sorry for the double post!

Last edited:
M

Misty

Yoshi's New Island has been developed by Arzest/Imageepoch and the OST has been composed by Masayoshi Ishi, which has nothing to do with Nintendo :p

Oh by the way: Donkey Kong Country 2 is from Rare, not Nintendo. So are GoldenEye 007, Perfect Dark and Banjo Kazooie. I like to point out this detail cause i don't like Rare very much, while i absolutely love Nintendo ;)
So you don't like the team that made Star Fox, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong, Banjo, and half of Nintendo's greatest games...right...

The only rare that sucks is New Rare after they got bought out by Microsoft, turned Banjo into a junker customization game and perfect dark into a plasticy Halo-Shadowrun clone.
I'm fairly sure they went completely insane.
But they were already going downhill when they started working on Time Splitters, the game series that took pride on it's lack of art direction and and was founded on lack of thematic coherence. TIme splitters has the most gridlocked and nauseatic map editor ever made, even more blocky than Minecraft and more nauseating that Call of Duty.
I'm pretty sure they were the same guys that made Project Spark, you can tell because it has those crappy NewRare graphics to it.

This is one of the worst false step in Nintendo history, in my opinion, almost comparable to the SNES-CD (i won't cite the Virtual Boy, cause it has its importance, even if it was almost unusable). Before someone misunderstands, though, this crap for CD-i has NOT been developed by Nintendo (the culprit is Philips, actually). :)

Edit: Oops, sorry for the double post!
One of nintendo's greatest achievements, if you ask me. Without it, Youtube poop would be missing a lot of content. Without Spongebob, Hotel Mario, and My Little Pony, Youtube poop would lose a lot of it's glory.

G

Galladhan

So you don't like the team that made Star Fox, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong, Banjo, and half of Nintendo's greatest games...right...
Don't get me wrong, it's not that i hate Rare. If all the developers were like Rareware of the old days, videogame industry would be a better place. :)
And i totally loved GoldenEye 007 on N64: played it to nausea.

But honestly i don't go crazy for their games, in general...

I love the first Donkey Kong coin-op and Donkey Kong for Game Boy (made by Nintendo), but i've never been a fan of Donkey Kong Country (probably for the pre-rendered graphics: innovative, maybe but... eww). I prefer Donkey Kong Country Returns from Retro Studios ;)

Banjo Kazooie? Banjo-Tooie? I confess that i tried them quickly, but i was like... mmm... meh.

I've never played Conker (my bad) but i guess i might like it.

But... aside these? "Half of Nintendo's greatest games"? I have a different perception, honestly. Well, just my opinion, i know that Rare is loved by lot of gamers (and Nintendo fans too) :p

I totally quote the second part of your post, though :)

EDIT: LOL! for the last part

Last edited: