Suggestion Next game maker version suggestion

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Forgeio

Alright, so for the next game maker version (I think it's called game maker: next?) they are supposed to be adding a ton of cool things and kind of remaking the style of game maker. My suggestion for this new version of game maker, if they're not already planning it, is WAY more 3D functionality in game maker, or a way better more optimized game maker 3D function. Maybe even a 3D model editor? That would just make my experience on game maker a THOUSAND times better, as I could finally make some 3D games that aren't crap instead of 2D games. (Don't get me wrong, I love 2D games, but 3D is a major thing in today's gaming industries.) Even if it starts out simple and lame, it wouldn't matter, as long as its way better made and optimized with maybe a very simplistic 3D physics system and a simple 3D model creator.
Thanks for listening to my ramble, if you know any Game Maker developers, please let them know about my suggestion and how much of a huge thing it would be for game maker. I'm almost certain it would gain tons of new developers of awesome new indie games.

- Forgeio

S

Snail Man

This suggestion has been batted back and forth by the community so many times, I'm pretty sure all the arguments have been hashed and rehashed countless times, but what it boils down to is direction. GameMaker is currently one of the, if not the foremost 2D game development tool, but in the 3D arena, there are giants like Unity and UE that are already so established they'd be next to impossible to unseat. Why not focus on what GM is already good at?

F

Forgeio

This suggestion has been batted back and forth by the community so many times, I'm pretty sure all the arguments have been hashed and rehashed countless times, but what it boils down to is direction. GameMaker is currently one of the, if not the foremost 2D game development tool, but in the 3D arena, there are giants like Unity and UE that are already so established they'd be next to impossible to unseat. Why not focus on what GM is already good at?
Well, because it's already good enough at it, and I honestly don't care about how good unity and UE are. They both in the long run are not as simplistic for making games, they are really complicated and hard to learn, game maker language was made to be simple and easy to learn. C# is pretty difficult to learn and Unity is a very complicated yet powerful program. As for UE, its more for making graphics than games, I've really never seen a nice full game made with UE4.

F

Forgeio

This thread won't be open long - LOL :D

In before topic lock! :) :)

(Edit)
More optimised 3D functionality? You mustn't do much 3D in GMS. The 3D functions are about as optimised as you can get.
I was thinking more like optimized for the game creator, not the game player. But your right, it is pretty optimized on the user end.

RangerX

Without GMS it would be very sad day for 2D gaming.
Use tools for what they are designed for. And I agree with Snail Man, we need strong/good tools that are good at what they do. 3D gaming is already well covered.

alexde5th

Maybe some new functions, like deactivating and reactivating an object automatically...
oh wait, that's already in.
Why not a function that allows...
I think I'll stop. Every idea I have would probably already be in.

S

Snail Man

But other people do care: all extending GM 3D would do is please existing GM customers, because most newcomers will just take the extra time to learn the new language of C# rather than the new language of GML

F

Forgeio

Without GMS it would be very sad day for 2D gaming.
Use tools for what they are designed for. And I agree with Snail Man, we need strong/good tools that are good at what they do. 3D gaming is already well covered.
I don't agree, I think game maker could become great in both areas. Unity and UE are pretty poorly made for coding in (I haven't used them much, so I could be wrong) but they just don't seem as simple and easy to use as they could be.

F

Forgeio

But other people do care: all extending GM 3D would do is please existing GM customers, because most newcomers will just take the extra time to learn the new language of C# rather than the new language of GML
I guess that's true, and that part of my argument is a bit invalid, but I still think it would be an awesome addition to Game Maker, and I've seen game maker users create their own 3D model creators (mine-imator is one of them) and work out great, so I know it can be done, and done well.

G

GhostlyFeline

Like others have said, there's a lot of engines that already do 3D stuff very well. One of the reasons that I tend to use Game Maker over, say, Unreal, is because of all the features and ease of use for creating 2D games. Focusing on 3D features would not be a good path, since other engines do it way better already, and Game Maker would just be playing catch-up.

Oh, and for the record, I have used Unreal 4. Blueprint scripting isn't that hard.

T

TheMatrixHasMe

The ability to easily identify where all of your variables are being called or used, or any object or anything! Maybe put it in the debugger, some kind of ability that you can say put in the object name or the variable name and it just tell you all the areas it's used so you can quickly make easy changes or track down legacy pieces that need to be removed or even if a variable is now obsolete and can be removed. Maybe it's a tall order, or maybe not?

Still57

I don't know what improvements they'll make in the next version but they should definitely make an AdMob extension for Windows Phone

gitwalrus

How about better support in the editor for high DPI displays? The game itself works fine the editor does not. All kinds of glitches and artifacts in the editor. It works but it looks unprofessional and if GameMaker wants to loose the reputation of being a kid's toy they need to make it look professional.

gitwalrus

I think the 'kids toy' thing is long gone. At least for me anyway.
It is for me as well but my programmer friends have not yet been enlightened and a buggy editor won't do that. I use GameMaker for about 85% of my 2d project I understand that it is a professional tool now it just needs to look like one.

X

Xskode

they can input a live editor. like unity 3d have.

so you can start the game up. and if you find something, or run into an error you can just fix it without having to close the game then open it again.
I am sure many of us (if not all) would REALLY benefit from such a feature.

gitwalrus

Why?

You need the IDE to be shiner to impress your friends? Are your friends that petty?
Yes. If they like it they will buy it and that means more money for YYG meaning more features for us. Besides the lack of proper support for high DPI in the editor makes it annoying to use as well.

F

F_Clowder

I wish YYG would implement a coffee-making routine into GM:Next. Please?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Topic is closed. Speculation and suggestions for the next version of GMS are not something that serves the community any purpose right now... YoYoGames have very clear idea of what they want to and so anything posted here will fall on deaf ears and only give rise to rumours and half-baked "I heard that..." comments about the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.