• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Legacy GM Newbie needing help with some add-ons/Gen questions (RPG)

D

DCoward

Hey all, I'm new to Game Maker, new to game-dev (in a technical sense -- in the sense of actually putting everything together), and I've been in a frustrating position.

I have since chosen Game Maker because it certainly seems the easiest to use for a project and quite intuitive. As such, I checked into some of the extras people have come up with, and found the Tiled Importer at: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=583235

Works great overall, but my biggest question is something not discussed in there.

I like it because GameMaker doesn't seem to have a great mapping system for any map that is significant in size, and as such, using that Tiled2GM software, that cut the time immensely, but I now have the issue that dozens of TYPES of tiles are now able to be walked through. So my question with regards to mapping: Is there a way to mass-edit the sprites in so I can designate them all as colliding walls? It seems like there should be a way... otherwise this would take forever, even if you didn't have Tiled2GM (it'd take even longer, no?).

So yeah, TL;DR for the above: I'm using Tiled2GM, but now I have lots of tiles I need to collide with. Is there a quick option on how to deal with that?

=========
Other questions:
I'm trying to make an RPG that is turn-based. I have found a few things that can help exemplify things in GameMaker for me, but not really anything I can use since mine is aiming for the old school turn based RPGs (like Final Fantasy and Pokemon, etc -- so you enter a new scene/room/whatever to actually do the combat), so I would love any info, tips, or tutorials you guys have found that would help with this.

I hope this hasn't been asked before... I couldn't seem to find a whole hell of a lot in the forums.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
You can have an invisible wall/collider object and then stretch the instances in the room editor by dragging the corners when selected or inputting the scale values. It looks something like this:

D

DCoward

You know, the second I read your first sentence I felt stupid, haha, yeah, I guess you could do that.

Hmm, but what about being able to move behind objects -- would those need to be specially handled?

Kepons

Lost The Bet
Do you mean walking behind a tree so that the tree is in seen front of you? If so, you can still use the collider object and put it only at the base of the tree, but the tree has to either be an object with a depth smaller than that of the player or tile(s) on a tile layer with a depth, again, smaller than that of the player.

D

DCoward

Yeah, fair. That might just be a thing I'll have to slowly do.

Sigh, oh well. Thank you!