Newbie just starting(put this post where it needs to be)

N

NovaBlade119

Hello everyone. I'm a newbie and just have started trying to use game maker recently. I completed a basic tutorial a couple days ago, but now I'm having a problem. I'll provide screenshots and detail my progress.

This is a screen cap of a tutorial I used for trying to build the basis for a game:

The yellow highlighted area is the area I'm missing when I load up Game Maker. I don't know what I did or missed in the steps, but it's not showing up anymore when I am able to see the rest of my elements (objects, room, background).

If anyone could point me in the right direction, link me to a tutorial on interface, or provide any constructive advice, that'd be awesome. I have an interesting idea for a game I want to create through this engine, but I have to conquer the challenge of the engine first.

Thanks and please move this post to where it needs to go.

Im assuming you mean loading up gamemaker is when you are running the game? That area is not part of the room/game. Think of it like this. You draw your game on a piece of paper, that's the room. The area you have coloured yellow is outside the room. This is like colouring in the desk that you are working at.

Best advice is to learn about rooms and views - starting with the manual. Unless I've misunderstood your issue, in which case let me know :)

N

NovaBlade119

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the input. yah I didn't understand why that area didn't show up, but the way you explained it made sense. Thank you! I appreciate the help.

N

NovaBlade119

Hey again. So I'm revisiting this tutorial again, but now I don't have an active work window, even when I am using a file that has a pre-built game already made. I'll post an image to explain.

The first image is what happens when I have the file loaded. Is it supposed to automatically show the level?

The second image is what the tutorial has loaded. The guy talking doesn't explain how he got to that step, so I'm left to piece together how he got there.

Any help at all would be appreciated. And yes, I found the written tutorial was extremely helpful, as I am pausing and stopping each time with the video tutorial.

Attachments

N

NovaBlade119

Last post. I have gamemaker 1. Should I upgrade and try gamemaker 2? Gamemaker 2 seemed like it was easier to drag and drop code. My ultimate goal is to make a simple platformer game. I was thinking on prototyping 1 level with hit detection, racking up points, and all that fun stuff.