• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Newbie in GML (i need help)

F

Farokh-fakhar

Hi! im new with gamemaker studio2 and programming but i was hoped you guys could help me

right now im trying to prototype a mechanic.

i want to my player object Suction/Pull other objects like boxes to it self and destroy them.

it could realy help me if you guys tell me what i need to read do this code

right now im trying to do it some how with gravity/place_meeting

thank you <3

F

FuRyvok

So, you will need a player Obj and a box Obj

you have to add this code in the Box Step event

Code:
//If The player is in the collision circle
if(collision_circle(x, y, 400, oBox, false, false)){
    //And if the player Press SPACE bar
    if(keyboard_check(vk_space)){
        //The Box will move to the Player
        move_towards_point(oPlayer.x,oPlayer.y,4);
    }
}
if you want to see the collision circle in this example the circle has a 400pixel radius
You will need a Draw Event at the Box Obj
Code:
draw_self();
draw_circle(x,y,400,true);
You have to also add a Collision Event with player to the box Obj, and there you have to type
Code:
instance_destroy();

F

Finn

Performance wise it is better to put the code into the player to only have one object check for collision for instance in case you have multiple boxes in a room.
Its also great to check the space key first and only then check if the player is pushing against a box.

F

Farokh-fakhar

Performance wise it is better to put the code into the player to only have one object check for collision for instance in case you have multiple boxes in a room.
Its also great to check the space key first and only then check if the player is pushing against a box.
thanks , yes i did what you said . it help a lot
So, you will need a player Obj and a box Obj

you have to add this code in the Box Step event

Code:
//If The player is in the collision circle
if(collision_circle(x, y, 400, oBox, false, false)){
    //And if the player Press SPACE bar
    if(keyboard_check(vk_space)){
        //The Box will move to the Player
        move_towards_point(oPlayer.x,oPlayer.y,4);
    }
}
if you want to see the collision circle in this example the circle has a 400pixel radius
You will need a Draw Event at the Box Obj
Code:
draw_self();
draw_circle(x,y,400,true);
You have to also add a Collision Event with player to the box Obj, and there you have to type
Code:
instance_destroy();
Thanks it help a lot <3