Newbie here - how restricted will I be if I use drag and drop?

li_shuai

Hi, folks. I'm new to GMS2 and so far, I really loved it. Previously, I made a few prototypes with Unity and I found it to be incredibly difficult. So much so, I haven't touched game dev in a few years.

I just started with GMS2 and I really like the drag and drop method of "writing code." It feels really natural and I feel like it would take me 10 times as long to do the same thing with Unity.

Will I be restricted if I stick to drag and drop? Eventually, after making some small projects, I would like to have a commercial release. I don't want to go along with a project and then when I go to add a feature it's all "oops, you can't do that with your setup. You have to start all over."

For reference, I can code a bit - I've done web dev for about 5 years and I also write the occasional automation scripts (ruby and javascript), web scrappers, and whatnot. I understand control flow, conditional logic, object types, etc... but when it comes to game dev, I find it much more difficult to wrap my head around.

Ideally, I'd love to do most of my project in drag and drop and then jump into code if I have to make small modifications. Is this possible?

Also, I know, at least on reddit, there's a big stigma of "just learn to code, bro." I'm not interested in learning to progress my coding skills to get a job or get the maximum performance or something like that. I just want to create and actually release games.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
First of all, it's possible to convert a D&D project into a code project later and there's a "execute code" D&D action, so you won't paint yourself in a corner by starting out with D&D.

Drag & Drop basically works the same way as code, except you manipulate colored blocks instead of writing text - most blocks have an exact code equivalent. The big issue with D&D is that all functions aren't available, only the most basic ones, so you get access to more functionality by using code... with the drawback that you need to be aware of your options yourself instead of looking for the most suitable option in a pedagogically laid-out action tab. Code also is faster to share on the forum, so you tend to get more help when you ask about a code-related problem than a D&D-related problem. (Feel free to ask for help here on the GMC, btw - you're already in the upper percentile when it comes to expressing yourself clearly compared to our average newbies, so you'll probably be welcomed with open arms)

li_shuai

Hey, Yal.

Thanks for the excellent answer. This sounds exactly like what I'm looking for. The DnD system feels a lot like writing pseudocode and I really like that. But I don't have a problem with reading code and using forums/stack overflow/ whatever if I need a fix. I think I'm going to finish going through the first few official tutorials using both DnD and GML. Then, I'll just use GML when needed.

Glad to know this community is so welcoming (according to my sample size of 1!).

woods

the biggest thing for me with DnD is that it gets so unwieldy so fast.. ex: a 2 line if statement turns into 6 or more "blocks" of drag n drop ;o) for me.. there is juts too much visual imput there.
...and its easier/faster to find information/help with code.

you can mix and match DnD and code bits here and there.. the same as using a keyboard_check(ord"W") vs a key press action... is the same dam thing ;o)
but hey, i aint gonna judge.. if you can make it happen with drag n drop.. cool

and btw..
welcome aboard

edit: (sample_size = 1.5)