• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Newbibe needs help with character going through blocks, when it shouldn't!

I am an experienced programmer but completely new to GMS2, my issue is to do with collisions, I think.

Problem Description :
I am writing a platformer. At the moment I have 7 blocks, defined as block objects as per Shaun's platformer course.
They are set up as follows:

X A X
XXXXX

I also have a character at point A.
When I hit the left arrow key the character goes left as expected , hits the far left block and transports to the far right block, if I keep the left key depressed he then travels to the far left block and stops ie behaves as expected.
If I depress the right arrow key the character key goes to the far right block, stops as expected, if I then depress the left arrow key he goes to the far left block and stops!

As you can imagine this is doing my head in. I have "nicked" the code from Shaun Spalding's Complete Platformer course, as follows;

//
// Check for Keyboard input
//

key_left = keyboard_check(vk_left);
key_right = keyboard_check(vk_right);
key_jump = keyboard_check_pressed(vk_space);

//
// Calculate Movement
//

var move = key_right - key_left;

hsp = move * walksp;

vsp = vsp + grv;

var on_ground = place_meeting (x , y + 1 , Obj_tile_top);

//
// Check for jump
//

if ((on_ground) && (key_jump))
{
vsp = -7;
}

Any help greatly appericated !!

The character is a one frame sprite with Auto Collision mask.

//
// Check for horizontal collision
//

if place_meeting(x + hsp,y,Obj_tile_top)
{ // Collision Detected so approach slowly
while ( !place_meeting (x + sign(hsp),y,Obj_tile_top))
{
x = x + 1;
}
hsp = 0;
}

x = x + hsp;

//
// Check for vertical collision
//

if place_meeting(x , y + vsp , Obj_tile_top)
{ // Collision Detected so approach slowly
while ( !place_meeting (x , y + sign(vsp) , Obj_tile_top))
{
y = y + 1;
}
vsp = 0;
}

y = y + vsp;

Thank you Nidoking, nice whack around the head. I have been looking at that thing for hours and completely missed it, ah well wont do that again. Tx very very much!