• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

New to GMS issue, a question about tile based collision with slopes / arbitrary curves

Zephni

Hi all, I have been developing games for years now I've been from Klik team products.. to making my own engine in C# / XNA... to Unity... and everything in between. One problem that always comes up with pre existing engines is a smooth level creation work flow while giving enough flexibility. I downloaded GMS 2 yesterday and I am so impressed with most of the default workflow, it is intuitive.. the language is easy, and creating levels with objects and a tileset is honestly the best i've ever seen.

The problem comes (as was expected to be honest) when handling collision for tilesets, namely slopes.

I have followed this tutorial (https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/577/precise-tile-collisions-by-pixelated-pope) This does work, but the fact I need a second copy of my origional tileset and convert it in to frames, and then reference that by name in code etc etc seems awkward and unnecessary, Is there no way to get the same information from the original tileset or a way to use the precise collision data from the tileset sprite?

I've done a lot of Googling but the results are all for full solid blocks in tile sets rather than slopes / curves. Other than the one mentioned above and some highly convoluted painful to watch (sorry) YouTube video.

Any further direction on this would be really helpful. I'm a bit of a sucker for trying out new engines / workflows, and this one really seems so close to perfect... like... 85%! I will be buying GMS if there is a intuitive solution to this,. other wise it seems unusable because a platformer without slopes is kind of lacking. One final disclaimer is I realize you can use individual objects for this but this really isn't a viable solution because of the payload it brings with larger levels.

Thanks a lot in advance, looking forward to hearing from the community :D

Last edited:

rIKmAN

Hi all, I have been developing games for years now I've been from Klik team products.. to making my own engine in C# / XNA... to Unity... and everything in between. One problem that always comes up with pre existing engines is a smooth level creation work flow while giving enough flexibility. I downloaded GMS 2 yesterday and I am so impressed with most of the default workflow, it is intuitive.. the language is easy, and creating levels with objects and a tileset is honestly the best i've ever seen.

The problem comes (as was expected to be honest) when handling collision for tilesets, namely slopes.

I have followed this tutorial (https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/577/precise-tile-collisions-by-pixelated-pope) This does work, but the fact I need a second copy of my origional tileset and convert it in to frames, and then reference that by name in code etc etc seems awkward and unnecessary, Is there no way to get the same information from the original tileset or a way to use the precise collision data from the tileset sprite?

I've done a lot of Googling but the results are all for full solid blocks in tile sets rather than slopes / curves. Other than the one mentioned above and some highly convoluted painful to watch (sorry) YouTube video.

Any further direction on this would be really helpful. I'm a bit of a sucker for trying out new engines / workflows, and this one really seems so close to perfect... like... 85%! I will be buying GMS if there is a intuitive solution to this,. other wise it seems unusable because a platformer without slopes is kind of lacking. One final disclaimer is I realize you can use individual objects for this but this really isn't a viable solution because of the payload it brings with larger levels.

Thanks a lot in advance, looking forward to hearing from the community :D
Shaun Spalding has a tutorial for sloped tiles (although there are others too).
He also sells the project files on itch if you'd rather just spend a few quid rather than follow the tutorial.