New to GM:S 2 - help with android games design

Discussion in 'Game Design, Development And Publishing' started by Jax_the_grey_cat, Jul 6, 2019.

1. Jax_the_grey_cat

Jax_the_grey_cat Member

Hi everyone!

After a long time using 1.4 I moved to 2, been using the GameMaker Studio 2 Desktop license, the only one I have, which I understand allows me to make games for Windows, I have a couple of questions regarding Android:

- Is it correct I need GameMaker Studio 2 Mobile license for test games on my mobile? Or can I make them on desktop and need Mobile just for license / export to play store?
    - If I need the Mobile version, can I "open", "import" a project I have made on Desktop version so I can reuse all the sprites, objects, and stuff? Or do I need to start a project from scratch? (Of course this means that input stuff won't work but Im guessing its easier to just adapt my input code rather than making everything from 0.

Thank you very much!!

2. TsukaYuriko

TsukaYuriko Q&A Spawn Camper Forum Staff Moderator

You used to be able to test on Android without the respective license. This option was removed in GMS 2. So yes, that is correct.

There's no "Mobile version", it's more like an additional export target added to the same base software you've been using all this time. As such, there are only "GMS 2 projects", not "Desktop projects" and "Mobile projects". There is no need to start a project from scratch in this case.

fireday2 likes this.
  3. Jax_the_grey_cat

Jax_the_grey_cat Member

Hi Tsuka, thank you very very much for your answer, it's super clear now!