new to GM looking for help

J

Jnaz

HI, first off I am terrible at GML and just pretty much use the drag and drop. I'm trying to make a memory game. I have the cards face down and I am able to get them to "turn over" to reveal the picture but I can't figure out how to check if the cards are a match or not? When the player flips the cards if they don't match I want them to flip back, the player should never be able to have more than 2 cards facing up and if they don't match they should switch back. All I can do right now is flip all the cards (one by one) face up. Can someone show me how to do this in drag and drop please?

A

Aura

Please show us what you have already done, so that we know how things are being handled on your end. That's a very broad question and throwing random suggestions would help nobody.

M

Majatek

Hey there! While you can't use only drag and drop, it is possible to get most of it done in D&D. One possible way to do a memory card game is to use individual instances, spawns and a control object that orders everything.

I decided to go ahead and create such a system today. Feel free to download, use, modify, and replace the rushed graphics (or decide to use those too) in any way you see fit. It's all commented, and extremely modular (so long as you keep the control object the same, you can add as many different cards and spawns as you like!).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smxzhio91feyaxk/flip%20cards.gmz

No need to provide credit. I'll keep an eye out for your replies in case there's anything that you need help with. :D

J

Jnaz

Hey there! While you can't use only drag and drop, it is possible to get most of it done in D&D. One possible way to do a memory card game is to use individual instances, spawns and a control object that orders everything.

I decided to go ahead and create such a system today. Feel free to download, use, modify, and replace the rushed graphics (or decide to use those too) in any way you see fit. It's all commented, and extremely modular (so long as you keep the control object the same, you can add as many different cards and spawns as you like!).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/smxzhio91feyaxk/flip%20cards.gmz

No need to provide credit. I'll keep an eye out for your replies in case there's anything that you need help with. :D
Oh wow Majatek this is so great I can't thank you enough!!! I just got home from work and this made my day - this is exactly what I am trying to learn! Like I said I am really just beginning and have been reading books and trying to understand as much as I can. I just downloaded the file and will let you know how it goes - again thanks so much!!!

Bardzo dziękuję, że jesteś najlepszy

J

Jnaz

Please show us what you have already done, so that we know how things are being handled on your end. That's a very broad question and throwing random suggestions would help nobody.
Thanks Aura for the quick response I do appreciate it. I'm going to work with the file Majatek provided to try and learn more - thanks again!