• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code New to Game Maker 2

G

gamecobra74

Hi, can you guys help answer a few questions for a newbie here?
Hi,

The thing that most appeals is not having to code...can you truly create a Mario-type game without coding?

I'll also appreciate answers to any of the following...

When creating a game, what is end product (file type)
...how do you play the game from desktop or other? can file be saved to disc?

Also, can you make the actions work for NES/SNES controller with USB?
I would guess so by keyboarding any letter like 'm' for jump works if you can choose.

Is there a max file size - and a number to stay under before effecting performance?

Does the game come in frames - as in - can you have levels, make a dice game the go back to levels, insert a text scroller, back to levels, etc. when needed?

I need:
animation (can you choose amount of gravity?)
add bmps (sink into 8-bit style platform)
add mp3s (how long can they be?)
make a dice game
text scrollers
bottom of game screen to reflect added coins, etc.

Can this all be achieved in one game using Game Maker 2?

Also, I've seen people coding w/ gamemaker on youtube is coding just extra preference or is it needed?

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Hi there and welcome to the GMC! :)

The thing that most appeals is not having to code...can you truly create a Mario-type game without coding?
Yes, the answer to most of the "can I make X with GM" questions raised here is always a yes. GM won't put restrictions before you. It is you whose capabilities and experience with the software will decide if the game is feasible for you to make.

On a related note, D&D in GMS 2 is a huge improvement over GMS 1.4 D&D, so since the type of game you seek to develop was doable with the latter, I don't think you would face much trouble with the former. But again, it is you whose capabilities as a programmer will decide if you can make such a game.

When creating a game, what is end product (file type)
Projects are saved as YYP files. You can compile the game as an executable or export the project as a YYZ file -- but this functionality is not available in the Trial version of the product.

...how do you play the game from desktop or other?
By compiling the game and uploading it to a game hosting service, such as itch.io and Gamejolt. You can then make a topic in the Made With GameMaker (if the game's complete) forum or in the Work In Progress (if the game is still being developed) forum to get feedback.

can file be saved to disc?
Yes, of course.

Is there a max file size - and a number to stay under before effecting performance?
File size does not affect performance.

Does the game come in frames - as in - can you have levels, make a dice game the go back to levels, insert a text scroller, back to levels, etc. when needed?
Yes. The "frames" you are talking of are called rooms in GM.

animation (can you choose amount of gravity?)
Yes.

add bmps (sink into 8-bit style platform)
Yes.

add mp3s (how long can they be?)
Yes. There isn't a limit on how long a MP3 file can be, but using large ones can easily contribute to a huge project and executable size.

make a dice game
text scrollers
bottom of game screen to reflect added coins, etc.
Yes.

Can this all be achieved in one game using Game Maker 2?
Yes. But not in the Trial version as there are restrictions on how many resources can be used. So you will have to buy GMS 2.

Also, I've seen people coding w/ gamemaker on youtube is coding just extra preference or is it needed?
It isn't mandatory, but useful. Most of the experienced programmers lose track of logic when using D&D and typing code is faster, so they tend to prefer code over D&D. But that doesn't mean complete games can't be made using D&D.

G

gamecobra74

wow, thanks for addressing everything....sounds like very good news ;) yes, i plan to purchase GMS2 for desktop. Only thing, Is there no way to play the game privately (launch off desktop presumably) without posting to a host site? Main reason is in case those sites aren't in service some day, I just wanted the disc to be obsolete. My wife and I want to dive in (almost like a study course) to make a memorable game for our kids From what I've read on yoyogames, the books for dummies are only about vsn. 1.4? Should I rely only on tutorials on the main page? Thanks for your experience the feedback you've given makes me comfortable enough to buy the program, much unlike Adobe Flash forums. Can I ask you any questions during creation? Thanks a lot!

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Only thing, Is there no way to play the game privately (launch off desktop presumably) without posting to a host site?
Hosting an executable is for letting others play the game. You can, of course, run the game on your PC without having to upload it at all.

From what I've read on yoyogames, the books for dummies are only about vsn. 1.4? Should I rely only on tutorials on the main page?
Time to quote myself from a different topic:

You shouldn't really try working with GM:S 1.x tutorials if you want to use GMS 2, since GMS 2 has changed a few fundamental ways that older versions worked and as such the learning material for previous versions is only useful if you have an intimate knowledge of GML and the changes in GMS 2. [1] [2]

If you've just begun and have no prior experience of coding in GML, then I'll suggest not to use 1.x tutorials. Use the built-in tutorials (available under the "Tutorials" section) instead as they explain all the basics about the IDE and how to create a simple game. GMS 2 is still very new and the accumulation of learning materials might take some time. But there are already a number of tutorials on Youtube and around the forums, so make sure that you do a quick search and you'll get hours of stuff to mess with. That might not be very helpful if you're still a beginner, though, since most of them cover fundamental changes and that's lots of advanced stuff. So using the built-in tutorials and the Manual (use F1 in the IDE) will be the best way to go about. However, if you have an intimate knowledge of GML and all you want to learn is the logic behind different mechanics, then you shouldn't face too much trouble with 1.x tutorials.
Can I ask you any questions during creation? Thanks a lot!
Yes, you can create a topic in the Programming forum, so that you get answers faster and the information shared on your topics might be useful for future readers. If you want specifically my input, then you can drop me a link via a conversation and I'll see if I can help you out. But perhaps you would have already figured it out by the time I notice the link, for the members here are very helpful and (mostly) loving. So I'd prefer if you just create a new topic.

G

gamecobra74

ok thanks again Ragarnak ;) ...so, once you have your .yyp file you export as .yyz and then open it with which program? Or just double click and it opens itself? Good if people are cool on here btw, some programming sites host forums which can be quite antagonistic

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
...so, once you have your .yyp file you export as .yyz and then open it with which program? Or just double click and it opens itself?
You don't export it as a YYZ file in order to be able to play it. YYP (YoYo Project) files are your regular projects that you open with GMS 2 to continue working on your games. When you export the project via the File menu, it becomes a single YYZ (YoYo Zip) file which is particularly useful for sending copies of the source code to people or for saving backups. Both of these require GMS 2 for getting opened.

But when you compile the game, it becomes an executable (EXE) which can be opened by double clicking (depends on the compile type you choose) and doesn't need GMS 2. This is what you distribute. For further information, see: https://docs2.yoyogames.com/source/_build/1_overview/2_quick_start/6_compiling.html

G

gamecobra74

ok, understood...and since I have a lot of animation to attend to (and barely any experience), is there a function in GMS 2 where you provide a single bitmap and there is a default animation string that duplicates a few sprite movements for basic running or jumping? This feature is in Flash, but the name of this action escapes me.

Also, if you want the music file to change on a particular level (when reaching an enemy for example), do you need to create an extra room for that scene?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
ok, understood...and since I have a lot of animation to attend to (and barely any experience), is there a function in GMS 2 where you provide a single bitmap and there is a default animation string that duplicates a few sprite movements for basic running or jumping? This feature is in Flash, but the name of this action escapes me.
'Fraid not! You have to code these things using GML or DnD... But don't worry it's not too hard! You just have to understand how it all hangs together...

Basically:

1) You would need sprites for running, jumping, falling, swimming, whatever.
2) You would then have your movement code.
3) In the movement code you set the sprite_index to the sprite required for the movement

So, if - for example - you have a key that makes the user move and an animation for moving and for idle you'd simply do something like:

Code:
sprite_index = spr_IdleAnimation;
if keyboard_check(vk_right)
{
x += 4;
sprite_index = spr_RunAnimation;
}
There are loads of ways this can be done, and it will depend on your game, but you will need to code it yourself.

Also, if you want the music file to change on a particular level (when reaching an enemy for example), do you need to create an extra room for that scene?
No, you would simply have a variable or a check in there that changes the music when required.

G

gamecobra74

I see...not too bad by appearance (this one isn't lol)....but can I instead add 5 pics that work together like a spritesheet for a character without coding?

G

gamecobra74

yeah, we're going to check out the video tutorials too...just trying to make sure it'll meet all of our needs before we dive in ;)

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
Like having a base skeleton and skinning it differently for each character? You might want to look into skeletal animations then. You can create a skeletal animation for each action (walking, jumping, attacking, etc.) and skin it via code for different characters of your game.

Jobo

GMC Elder
I am pretty sure what he wants is just a sprite with 5 frames assigned to an object.

G

gamecobra74

Idk guys...been looking all over youtube.....some 'how to Mario' video in Flash....well, I'm sure you guys would know how to do this. It was a way to have one image and then have the flash program auto animate out the 4 other motions if you wanted to make him run or whatever. I have tons of things to animate so needless to say, that would save time. This video showed the 5 sprite motions the guy had copied from a sprite sheet as Jobo said I think (start at 1:05)