• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Idea New solution for implementing MMO features using GameSparks

RyanC

I've noticed there's a really great solution for implementing MMO features using a service called GameSparks. The following link goes to a page where the developers say they would love to make a Game Maker SDK if only there was more demand for it.

It seems like a great solution, as it's free for indie devs until their game has over 100,000 monthly active users.

Just thought I'd make an announcement to ask as many developers as possible to go and show their interest and help them see there's a demand for the SDK in the GMS community!

https://support.gamesparks.net/support/discussions/topics/1000046732?page=1

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
An interesting proposition... there's been a long-time joke about everyone wanting to make an MMORPG in GM as their first project, but if there's access to a good SDK and service for it, it wouldn't be such a laughing-stock-lofty goal.

I noticed that the activity is around 2 years old, though. That's a lot with internet standards... are you sure it's still relevant?

RyanC

Scroll down the page a little, there's more recent comments, They support Unreal Engine and Unity and if more people showed a demand for Game Maker Studio they would support GMS too. Their original documentation actually states that it supports Game Maker, however it looks like they never made the SDK due to lack of interest from a client point of view.

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
Having just about any kind of demand for GMS 1.x isn't enough. Having a serious, mature, profitable audience from GMS 1.x is even more important. And given those comments on there and around the GMC, I don't see much of the latter.

Over the past decade, I've seen it all when it comes to people who want to make MMORPGs out of the gate. Can't read Manuals, can't follow simple instructions, can't design a proper protocol, can't apply basic networking theory, can't grasp the fact that online multiplayer isn't a drop-and-go feature. No SDK will make good business with these tyros massively outnumbering people who know what they're doing.

At this point, to make an SDK for GameSpark on GMS 1.x is to cast pearls before swines. And quite clearly they understand this.

N

Never Mind

Hello GameGeisha :p
I can see how what your saying is true. There's all sorts of people with strange weird motives out here.

I don't personally think I'd put too much effort into making an SDK. It just seems unlikely that the right person would actually find it and put it to good use. But who knows?
I definitely don't want anyone to waste time because of me so, I'll reserve my support for now. I'm not currently looking for anything like this.

It's kind of funny to say the most productive people I see on here actually spend plenty of time reinventing wheels.
When you do things your own sort of way through trial and error, you'll spend a lot of time, and you may have to restart a few times to make something that seems valuable...
But the more you learn to solve problems, the more confidently you will walk into new territory without getting tied down to specific methods or tools.
------------------
------------------

Last edited by a moderator: