Legacy GM New Quick Questions of Mine...

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ethian

Hy...

I just started to make some of my games since yesterday at night, starting to make the most notable interactive resources in gameplay (What makes the games have their current genre of games, by what is you made more times on all the game... something else... but what i'm talking about is i started programming RPG's movement and walls, and Shooter Platformer, floor and walls)
Here's an screenshot of what i started to work, the protagonist's sprites... i've made before and i didn't deleted them to change them (Thank gosh, as they are still usable after all) https://bit.ly/2HdHDRX

And, for some reason, i decided to know the answer of the next questions:

What is the value for 8 frames per second for image_speed? and for 16 frames per second? I know 6 fps value is 0.1, 12 fps is 0.2, 18 fps is 0.3 and 24 fps, 0.4... and... 30 fps is 0.5? I noticed sucessful values for working fps are related to the multiplication tables of 6! Those are the only ones than work perfectly? What about the absolutely custom i've talked before? (8 and 16 fps)

Super Slow Velocity for the Interactive Assets from games with view in room of 144p? I know the slowest value (1) isn't even slow here! I use 144p resolution for my pixel art games, and 1080p resolution for my flash animated ones... (And the port on screen for all my games is 480p). I know there's more chance to get super slow velocity on 1080p because of... but...

meseta

The number is relative to your room FPS which appears to be set to 60. You divide your desired sprite speed by the room speed to get the answer.
e.g.
30fps: 30/60 = 0.5
24fps: 24/60 = 0.4

8fps: 8/60 = 0.1333333

E

ethian

The number is relative to your room FPS which appears to be set to 60.
Sorry for choosing 60 fps, i like how the things move so amazing, and it's for make my games fit to what the videogames are supposed to be, and also make have the feeling of the old arcade games that was fun.

Also, i've used the value and thank you. Now for the rest, i need to divide the custom framerates to 60 to get the sucessful working values...

...Thank you for the tip anyways.

I forgot during the past days to show...!

I started to work on other of my games since yesterday, in the same way as the other shown before (Program the most notable and used of the gameplay first).

Well, but there's some parts that should be reworked: The main character's jumps should be faster, not that slow like there's a bit of gravity 0, and also improve the shooting directions. It has also funny issues like already-offscreen shooted bullets get onscreen again when changing the direction of the main character... bugfix for all this?!

Here's a video of what i'm talking about:

https://bit.ly/2JuthSt

Ah, and there's a new quick question...

I know 640x480 is the most recomendable resolution for games... but... what about the most recomendable resolution for widescreen games? (same recomendability as 640x480)

Please Answer Adove!

MOD EDIT: Triple post merged. Please do NOT bump the topic unless at least 48 hours have passed and you have received no reply, and even then try to add more information when bumping.

Last edited by a moderator:

rIKmAN

Please Answer Adove!
Have some patience and don't bump your thread 2hrs after asking a question because nobody has answered - forums rules are 48hrs.

It's the weekend and people have lives, and I'm pretty sure Googling your question would give you an answer or a good starting point within 2 minutes.

E

ethian

It's the weekend and people have lives, and I'm pretty sure Googling your question would give you an answer or a good starting point within 2 minutes.
Weekend is over for now!
Answer adove! Answer adove!

E

ethian

1024 x 576?
I've tested it and isn't that bad. Thanks! Now 576p will be the new port on screen of the computer version of my games!

Hey, also, how to fix that bug (Mentioned adove) of how to make shooted bullets don't go to the same direction as the main character when changing the direction?

Last edited:

rIKmAN

how to fix that bug (Mentioned adove) of how to make shooted bullets don't go to the same direction as the main character when changing the direction?
You'd need to post your code, or at the very least explain how you are handling the bullet / movement logic otherwise people will just be guessing at what the issue might be.

TheouAegis

Well, what code do you have that is setting the direction of the bullets? Typically bullets only have their movements set in the create event. If a bullet has code in the step event, it is usually only concerned with the bullet's trajectory alone, or the target's. No references to the player's trajectory should affect the player's bullets outside of the create event of that bullet.

E

ethian

Well, what code do you have that is setting the direction of the bullets? Typically bullets only have their movements set in the create event. If a bullet has code in the step event, it is usually only concerned with the bullet's trajectory alone, or the target's. No references to the player's trajectory should affect the player's bullets outside of the create event of that bullet.
You'd need to post your code, or at the very least explain how you are handling the bullet / movement logic otherwise people will just be guessing at what the issue might be.
The code of the bullet includes a step event that allows make the bullet be shooted at the same current direction of the main character... well, this gone unexpecedly weird later, making all the shooted bullets change the exact same direction as the main character, be visibly going to the screen.. etc..

Also, for some reason, i made the right state of the main character special... and there's also an state of up, when you're holding the up arrow key, shooting goes vertically to up, but as it conects with the horizontal movement... diagonal instead...

Code:
if(player.to_the_right = true){
x += 100
}
else
{
x -= 100
}
if(player.to_up = true){
y -= 100
}
Well, it doesn't work with the create event, also, what about the code action that makes the event just run once when loops? i've though on this when i experimented that bug for first time.

TheouAegis

The action code sets the hspeed, not to x. Because as you can see now, a bullet does not care about the direction it's shooter is currently facing, only the direction its shooter was facing.

E

ethian

The action code sets the hspeed, not to x. Because as you can see now, a bullet does not care about the direction it's shooter is currently facing, only the direction its shooter was facing.
Before your answer i have the idea of... make the current boss battle level be of a different single direction of shooted bullet (And the main character's) each phase of the level... via variables... i'll program it...

Also, how to make jumps quicker and less slow? I just followed this tutorial and it has those deffects!

PD: That platformer shooter game is Cuphead-inspired (Shooter with Boss Battles), but, i decided to make it have differences like the difficulty, making it less frustrating enough to be unconsidered frustrating, especially, also 50 worlds and 100 levels (but about 100 minutes to complete the entire game normally (While my other game takes about 8 hours to complete), also, 10 worlds and 200 levels in the sequel (or it's too much?))

TheouAegis

Faster jumps have high values. Yhe higher tge degree of gravity, the faster the unit will fall as well as the lower the apex of the jump. The higher the degree of vspeed (jump speed), the faster the unit will rise and the higher the apex will be.

E

ethian

Em, with making jumps faster, i was reffering to this:

Ah, and i'll see how to add double jump... it's in my reminder.

TheouAegis

Em, with making jumps faster, i was reffering to this:

Ah, and i'll see how to add double jump... it's in my reminder.
Yeah. The image on the right has a higher degree of vspeed (e.g., -10 instead of -5) and a higher degree of gravity (e.g. 1/8 instead of 1/10).

E

ethian

Yeah. The image on the right has a higher degree of vspeed (e.g., -10 instead of -5) and a higher degree of gravity (e.g. 1/8 instead of 1/10).
Sorry, but i had reprogramated my game in GMS2 for some modernity reason...

I ask where are the places where are the places where vspeed and gravity degrees in are in, here.

E

ethian

vsp is vspeed and grv is gravity
Yeah, and what variables i need to change?! the same as this:
The old variables from "Instead of (Old Variable)" are different from what you said! And i know what vsp and grv are before what you said!

E

ethian

The number is relative to your room FPS which appears to be set to 60. You divide your desired sprite speed by the room speed to get the answer.
e.g.
30fps: 30/60 = 0.5
24fps: 24/60 = 0.4

8fps: 8/60 = 0.1333333
Sorry but, i reprogramated my games on GMS2, and... being 9 the maximun variable of image speed for low frame rate animation that i interest me is 9... for example...
What about everything else similar to what i solutioned before? (About dividing the sprite animation frame rate with the game's main frame rate, i guess it doesn't work on GMS2 anymore!)

E

ethian

Ah, i returned to use GM:S 1.4, and i reached a point where those questions is present:(Isn't over!)

• How to make the player be able to perform actions by pressing "Enter" just when is near an NPC? (Actions are also besides textbox, they're custom)
  • The last "image_index" in GML? variables of...?

Last edited:

Kyon

Ah, i returned to use GM:S 1.4, and i reached a point where those questions is present:(Isn't over!)

• How to make the player be able to perform actions by pressing "Enter" just when is near an NPC? (Actions are also besides textbox, they're custom)
  • The last "image_index" in GML? variables of...?
  • Some textbox engine that doesn't include any visual effects like increasing text or shaking characters? Some easy engine without coded visual effects but sprites? I'll make a thread about this...
So for the first one would be something like this:
Code:
if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_enter) && distance_to_object(oNPC)<64
{
    //Textbox
}
So if you press enter AND the distance to object oNPC is closer than 64 pixels, then something happens.
(this would be in the player object)

For the second one would be image_number. Which is the last image_index.

E

ethian

So for the first one would be something like this:
Code:
if keyboard_check_pressed(vk_enter) && distance_to_object(oNPC)<64
{
    //Textbox
}
So if you press enter AND the distance to object oNPC is closer than 64 pixels, then something happens.
(this would be in the player object)

For the second one would be image_number. Which is the last image_index.
Thanks! (Smiles showing teeth...)

Wait! there's other one : What is the detection of a destroyed instance? i mean:
Code:
if(//Instance of "example_object" is destroyed){
//perform event
}
How is the correct one?
Isn't "if (!instance_exists)"? as "!" makes things opposite when it's at front of an action like "instance_exists"?

Last edited:
E

ethian

New :

How to make the view change position via code?

How to change room's background via code?

Last edited:
E

ethian

It's not over!
I have one more question!

How to make background scroll slower when the camera is scrolling?

Last edited:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
@ethian: The GMC is here to help with programming. But this is abusing the forum. Especially since most of your recent questions can be answered with a quick check of the GM manual. And the manual even provides code examples for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.