• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

New on game maker need help (score)

M

Moineau

Hi, I'm new on game maker studio and on this forum so I will present myself.

Sorry for my bad English...

I'm Marie I have 21 years old and I'm from France. I studie theater but when I got time Iike to do some little video game with clickteamfusion but now I want to use game maker studio.
My game is a platerformer and at this time the camera follow player 1. I know how to create a score instance but I don't know how this score can follow the camera and my player.
I just use "object following" on room for that. Can you help me?

Sorry again for my bad english...

A

Alex Lyons

• Create an object that will be there at the start of the game
  • Go into the "Create" event and create a variable for your score, or use Gamemaker's built in "score" variable. Set this to zero, I assume.
  • If you're referring to having the score display on the screen, create a "Draw" event and put in "Draw Score" or "Draw Variable" depending on what you decide to do for your score variable. Then, put the name of your variable in. For it to follow the camera, start off the x and y slots with "view_xview+" and "view_yview+". These will make it so the score will be drawn onto the screen and not the level itself.
  • To make it stick out, I'd also advise setting a draw font, draw color, and draw size.
I hope this was helpful. :)

M

Moineau

Hi ! thanks for your ansewer.
I tried it but I got "error in Object obj_score, Event draw, Action 1 Unexpected symbol in expression."

Do you know why?

M

Moineau

I just find the problem.
Thanks! you are very helpful
If I can ask you.. I want my score next to a sprite how can I do this?
and change font color and size of my variable..
I just need to understand how game maker works ^^'

hippyman

I just need to understand how game maker works ^^'
I highly recommend checking out the official tutorials and demos in the GMS launcher. Especially the tutorials. They'll guide you through the basics of learning GM:S. If there is anything that you don't quite understand from a tutorial, check the documentation. Those two resources are extremely helpful when first learning the program.

Documentation (You can also press F1 to open documentation directly from GMS without needing internet connection)

M

Moineau

Hi hippyman, I am cheking Shaun Spalding tutorial but sometimes I need some help it's very hard to understand this language. I am resolving my problem so it's ok thanks for your help :)