• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

New module for $1,200 it's a good idea yoyogames hope you like it

F

Falconsoft-Industries

EMOTIV Epoc module for game maker studio 2. Imagine new events and functions to read brainwaves from the headset and control the game someone made with game maker studio 2 blink to shoot focus to aim or even control devices so you have a menu on your game(app) that lists 8 hot beverages(cappuccino,flat white, latte, etc) the user opens the app and focuses on the drink they want and 1 blink later let's say they selected latte the latte would then be made by the coffee maker machine.

They could get their drone to search the house with the coffee until it finds the computer and place the coffee on the desk. It could be a app like notepad for making notes by typing out what the user wants to type without touching the keyboard or moving the cursor on the screen without touching the mouse they could even left click or right click without touching the mouse the possibilities are endless, you could turn game maker studio into software studio with this module and make it a separate product all together so why have game maker studio 1 and 2 when you can have all three products game maker studio 1 and 2 and software studio?

The games made with this could be a RPG or maze where the player simply focuses on the actions they want to do and the game would do exactly that.

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Misu

Your reasoning seems legit although I doubt YYG accepts ideas from regular members on the forum, especially if its an idea they are not gonna use (for their projects). What you can do actually is create an online petition and get as many people to sign it for this idea. That way, once it reaches its estimate goal, you can present it to YYG and they (maybe) might consider it a priority. Lets hope they are convince though.

Btw, this should have been moved to Community Chat subforum.

It would be cool, Falconsoft, but not enough people own one of these for it to make financial sense for YoYo to export to. We're still waiting for a Switch export, and Nintendo is probably the most famous gaming company in the world. Besides, like Bingdom says, I'm sure this machine already has its own software to simulate key presses and stuff. You wouldn't need an export to make a game for it.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Actually a lot of people own the emotiv epoc device just search for it on YouTube and you will find a lot of channels of users using emotiv empoc
Yes it has a script writer but that's all in C++ imagine a simplified language like ssl(software studio language) which is easy as gml is to use.
Oh also it needs you to write the code for key presses and mouse movement and mouse presses in C++ and so I thought to myself can there possibly be a simpler way.
Edit: misu how do I post a online petition on the yoyogames forums?

M

Misu

Yeah before jumping into doing anything about it, I highly suggest you first wait for a feedback from a moderator or admin about such idea to better clarify where they stand about it. They should explain better what is best.

btw, GMS2 runner is C++ so computer compiling should work the same for compatibility I believe. Although my knowledge abot this device is unknown so yeah, just give time first from a mod or admin to reply.

PS: Ive seen people on the forum use chance.org for petition.

M

MishMash

Actually a lot of people own the emotiv epoc device just search for it on YouTube and you will find a lot of channels of users using emotiv empoc
Yes it has a script writer but that's all in C++ imagine a simplified language like ssl(software studio language) which is easy as gml is to use.
Oh also it needs you to write the code for key presses and mouse movement and mouse presses in C++ and so I thought to myself can there possibly be a simpler way.
Edit: misu how do I post a online petition on the yoyogames forums?
Sorry, but fundamentally, that doesn't really make a great deal of logical sense. What you seem to be looking for (and talking about) is the idea of a simplified API, not a means of distributing applications specifically for this device. After doing a bit of reading, the apps still run on a host computer somewhere anyway, meaning you could just use the windows export in GM.

Practically, if you actually wanted to use this in a game, you have two easy options:
1) Create a C++ DLL which wraps up the API calls so that GameMaker can interface with them directly.
2) Create the actual data handling side of the app in C++, and use networking to pass commands and actions back to gamemaker. I personally think this is the most ideal option. I did a similar thing with passing in processed data from a webcam feed for my interactive university game project. Option one would be too general and would only pass the "raw" data. This would not be ideal to use straight away, therefore you would want an app, built in the MOST ideal environment for working with technology like this, C++. The reason for this is because that thing is going to be piling loads and loads of data back, it has a wireless data stream and therefore, you need a very fast and low level language to make the most of it.

Basically, what i'm getting at is that with this sort of technology, you cannot really generalize actions, each game that uses this would have unique demands, and thus would need to make unique use of this technology. Finally, any one who does use this really would have to have an indepth understanding of what is going on, unfortunately, things like this can't just be quickly packaged up.

If however, you did want something like this that you could interface with GM, then there may be some GMC member who would be willing to write an extension for it, though i imagine this product is a little too niche for that.

With regard to the actual language, yes, you "could" create a programming language which was better suited to the style of data processing this thing does, however this likely just falls into the category of complexity demanding speed and precision with low-level access, and C++ is a good language for that. Equally, C++ isn't an objectively hard language for the sorts of programmers this is aimed at, infact, it is probably more fit for purpose.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Where do I begin with C++ to create this DLL?
Can I use blueprints like I can in unreal engine except as a DLL using C++?
Did someone say "GMS2 uses C++ runner"? Yes? So technically the app would run at the same speed as a app written purely in C++, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong even though I doubt I am wrong.

M

MishMash

Where do I begin with C++ to create this DLL?
Can I use blueprints like I can in unreal engine except as a DLL using C++?
Did someone say "GMS2 uses C++ runner"? Yes? So technically the app would run at the same speed as a app written purely in C++, correct? Correct me if I'm wrong even though I doubt I am wrong.
So first of all, GMS (both 1 and 2) use a C++ virtual machine, or when you use the YYC compiler, your game gets trans-piled to C++. This however is not of equivalent performance as if you were to do the same thing natively because GM has a number of abstractions to make your life easy, that result in necessarily bloated C++ code. There is also no "easy" way to inject code into a compiled YYC project (although I have been working on a hack for this).

Secondly, whilst a DLL is beneficial, there are more considerations at play here:
1) The interface between the application and the DLL tied to it is slow. This is achieved through a series of "external_calls". However, the code inside the DLL itself will run fine.
2) This setup is not easy, and as I mentioned in my first post, its difficult and unlikely to be general.
3) Certain C++ features make it more practical to actually develop directly in C++. The main one I can think of here is the use of pointers as a means of creating fast and efficient datastructures.

I don't mean to be a downer, but this is rather advanced stuff, and it kind of falls into the rather vague and annoying category of: "If you have to ask how, then you won't be able to do it yourself".

As far as creating DLLs is concerned, this article gives you a really good breakdown of everything you need to do: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=405812 (This tutorial walks you through setting up a C++ project that has functions which can be remotely called from within gamemaker).

Can't really comment on Blueprints, but I get the impression they are designed to be used with specific nodes that heavily link in with the unreal editor, and are primary for map designers to create dynamic content easily, though I may be wrong.

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Maybe we could work on this extension together and put on the game maker asset store, for $32 and for every sale you get 85% and I get the other 15%?

zbox

GMC Elder
Yeah that sounds like a great idea. While you're at it MishMash I get 5% of the profits for viewing the topic.

Cheers

;)

F

Falconsoft-Industries

If you're not going to code the DLL, or write the help file on using the functions don't bother, in cashing in. Also I am only in as the writer for the help file. :)

zbox

GMC Elder
Yes... I was being sarcastic haha. Why would he hand out 15% of the profits if he could just write it himself :p

F

Falconsoft-Industries

Yeah, I know but honest work gets honest pay, those that work get money and then there are people who don't work and don't get paid. As long it gets written I am happy.

Here's a idea though you could create a app using this extension.
You could make some money with your app

F

Falconsoft-Industries

I was merely saying you could make a popular app for the EMOTIV Epoc using that extension and you could make a extension for remotely controlling appliances around the house and link the functions of reading brainwaves to control your appliances and this idea could make you rich if you created a app using those two extensions. However you would need a EMOTIV Epoc and flash drive for your PC that comes with the EMOTIV Epoc to send signals to your PC and a flash drive capable of sending the commands to the devices from your app. Bundle all these items for the price of the EMOTIV Epoc and $55 dollars for the app and the two flash drives and you have a working product that will make you rich beyond your wildest dreams, but be sure to include a manual on what it does and how to set it up and how it controls the devices for example do I focus on the tv and blink to turn it on and off and change channels.