OFFICIAL New Light Forum Skin

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hi everyone! This is just to let you all know that the forum now has both a light and dark skin. You can change skins from the link at the bottom left of the forum:

upload_2017-5-31_14-21-2.png

It's been a long time coming and sorry to those of you that have been requesting this over the last few months (ahem... @Ragarnak...) but it's here at last and will hopefully make browsing easier for those of you that prefer a lighter interface.

:bunny:

chance

predictably random
Forum Staff
Nice to have this. I like the option of switching between light and dark -- depending on the room lighting (living room, not game room).

csanyk

I welcome a light skin theme.

However, this one, could use a bit of tweaking. There's a lot of low-contrast between text and background which makes it harder to read than it needs to be. Look at the word "Community" in the forum title banner, for example. It's white on light grey. In the Dark theme, this provides a nice, strong contrast, but on the Light theme it almost disappears.

The main text is dark grey on light grey. Black on white, or at least much darker grey on much lighter grey would be more readable. I also think that the green used for accent color should be a bit darker.

upload_2017-5-31_10-3-41.png

Z

zendraw

for some reason i like the light one more. the banner doesnt bother me, i mean who cares anyway?

actually i go back on what i said, after few mins my eyes start to burn.

Last edited:

csanyk

for some reason i like the light one more. the banner doesnt bother me, i mean who cares anyway?

actually i go back on what i said, after few mins my eyes start to burn.
Lol, I was gonna say, anyone who has some typography design training cares. It's a 20 second fix with a CSS rule tweak, trivial, a no-brainer to implement.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
It's a 20 second fix with a CSS rule tweak,
Sadly it's not... It requires me to request a new design from the UI guy, and then I have to submit that design to PlayTech to get them to authorise it, and then I have to request permission from the web security guys to edit the template and upload the new image and THEN finally upload the new image.

This is one of the reasons that I've taken so long getting the light skin up on the forums... gotta love bureaucracy!

:)

GMWolf

aka fel666
Sadly it's not... It requires me to request a new design from the UI guy, and then I have to submit that design to PlayTech to get them to authorise it, and then I have to request permission from the web security guys to edit the template and upload the new image and THEN finally upload the new image.

This is one of the reasons that I've taken so long getting the light skin up on the forums... gotta love bureaucracy!

How about adding a settings panel that would allow people to add their own CSS? The user would just have to provide a link to a CSS file. this would allow the community to build unofficial skins for us all to enjoy!

csanyk

How about adding a settings panel that would allow people to add their own CSS? The user would just have to provide a link to a CSS file. this would allow the community to build unofficial skins for us all to enjoy!
Ah corporate agility. Too bad you're not more agile. Maybe I'll download the css, make adjustments, and mail it to you...

rIKmAN

That is completely ridiculous.
However, if this isn't an "official" forum why do you have to get permission from Playtech or YYG to make such a trivial change?

Last edited:

YellowAfterlife

ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ
Forum Staff
That's called userstyles and there are plugins for these for more or less every browser (even some mobile ones). On that subject, my theme tweak is still up.

G

Yeah, when I've got it up at work, it looks at least marginally less like I'm enacting a 1987 era hacker movie fantasy. I mean, it still doesn't look like work, but it brings me within the realm of unsuspicious procrastination. Kudos.

John Andrews

Living Enigma
I like it! but I feel like the green doesn't match that much, I mean I know it's Game maker color, but it just doesn't fit to me, anyway I like it :)

Bleed

Of course it doesn't work. Green doesn't work with Black/Dark either. I'd take some cues from @csanyk.
Anyways, I have mine set up like this:

But I need to learn CSS or whatever Stylish uses before I can alter further. Anyone know the code to change the highlighted (screenshot) element color?

Last edited:

FredFredrickson

Artist, designer, & developer
GMC Elder
The light skin looks pretty good, but (in my opinion) it's a little too light. Hurts my eyes!

Edit: Okay, it's not that bad after using it a bit. Will probably stick with the dark theme just to preserve my precious eyeballs, though.

Of course it doesn't work. Green doesn't work with Black/Dark either. I'd take some cues from @csanyk.
Anyways, I have mine set up like this:

But I need to learn CSS or whatever Stylish uses before I can alter further. Anyone know the code to change the highlighted (screenshot) element color?
If you're using Chrome, just right click on whatever element you want to change, and click Inspect. t'll then show you the CSS that's altering the appearance of that object, so you can decide which class you want to edit (and you can even edit it in realtime just to see what changes might look like).