1. Hey! Guest! The 35th GMC Jam will take place between November 28th, 12:00 UTC - December 2nd, 12:00 UTC. Why not join in! Click here to find out more!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hello Guest! It's with a heavy heart that we must announce the removal of the Legacy GMC Archive. If you wish to save anything from it, now's the time! Please see this topic for more information.
    Dismiss Notice

OFFICIAL New Light Forum Skin

Discussion in 'Community Chat' started by Nocturne, May 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Hi everyone! This is just to let you all know that the forum now has both a light and dark skin. You can change skins from the link at the bottom left of the forum:

upload_2017-5-31_14-21-2.png

It's been a long time coming and sorry to those of you that have been requesting this over the last few months (ahem... @Ragarnak...) but it's here at last and will hopefully make browsing easier for those of you that prefer a lighter interface.

:bunny:

Yambam, Perseus, RujiK and 2 others like this.
  2. Simon Gust

Simon Gust Member

Heck yes!

3. Roderick

Roderick Member

Are the thumbnails supposed to both show the light version? Screenshot_20170531-055556.png

csanyk and Perseus like this.
  4. chance

chance predictably random Forum Staff Moderator

Nice to have this. I like the option of switching between light and dark -- depending on the room lighting (living room, not game room).

John Andrews likes this.
  5. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

It hurts my eyes!!!!!
    but its nice to have.

6. csanyk

csanyk Member

I welcome a light skin theme.

However, this one, could use a bit of tweaking. There's a lot of low-contrast between text and background which makes it harder to read than it needs to be. Look at the word "Community" in the forum title banner, for example. It's white on light grey. In the Dark theme, this provides a nice, strong contrast, but on the Light theme it almost disappears.

The main text is dark grey on light grey. Black on white, or at least much darker grey on much lighter grey would be more readable. I also think that the green used for accent color should be a bit darker.

upload_2017-5-31_10-3-41.png

Barvix, Vonnbit, RekNepZ and 2 others like this.
  7. zendraw

zendraw Member

for some reason i like the light one more. the banner doesnt bother me, i mean who cares anyway?

actually i go back on what i said, after few mins my eyes start to burn.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    csanyk likes this.
  8. csanyk

csanyk Member

Lol, I was gonna say, anyone who has some typography design training cares. It's a 20 second fix with a CSS rule tweak, trivial, a no-brainer to implement.

Vonnbit likes this.
  9. Nocturne

Nocturne Friendly Tyrant Forum Staff Admin

Sadly it's not... It requires me to request a new design from the UI guy, and then I have to submit that design to PlayTech to get them to authorise it, and then I have to request permission from the web security guys to edit the template and upload the new image and THEN finally upload the new image.

This is one of the reasons that I've taken so long getting the light skin up on the forums... gotta love bureaucracy!

:)

10. GMWolf

GMWolf aka fel666

How about adding a settings panel that would allow people to add their own CSS? The user would just have to provide a link to a CSS file. this would allow the community to build unofficial skins for us all to enjoy!

11. csanyk

csanyk Member

Ah corporate agility. Too bad you're not more agile. Maybe I'll download the css, make adjustments, and mail it to you...

12. rIKmAN

rIKmAN Member

That is completely ridiculous.
    However, if this isn't an "official" forum why do you have to get permission from Playtech or YYG to make such a trivial change?

Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  13. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

That's called userstyles and there are plugins for these for more or less every browser (even some mobile ones). On that subject, my theme tweak is still up.

14. Bleed

Bleed Member

A bit flat, but the dark one is hard to concentrate with, so, good job.

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Yeah, when I've got it up at work, it looks at least marginally less like I'm enacting a 1987 era hacker movie fantasy. I mean, it still doesn't look like work, but it brings me within the realm of unsuspicious procrastination. Kudos.

Nocturne likes this.
  16. John Andrews

John Andrews Living Enigma

[​IMG]
    I like it! but I feel like the green doesn't match that much, I mean I know it's Game maker color, but it just doesn't fit to me, anyway I like it :)

17. Bleed

Bleed Member

Of course it doesn't work. Green doesn't work with Black/Dark either. I'd take some cues from @csanyk.
    Anyways, I have mine set up like this:

[​IMG]

But I need to learn CSS or whatever Stylish uses before I can alter further. Anyone know the code to change the highlighted (screenshot) element color?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
  18. FredFredrickson

FredFredrickson Member GMC Elder

The light skin looks pretty good, but (in my opinion) it's a little too light. Hurts my eyes!

Edit: Okay, it's not that bad after using it a bit. Will probably stick with the dark theme just to preserve my precious eyeballs, though.

If you're using Chrome, just right click on whatever element you want to change, and click Inspect. t'll then show you the CSS that's altering the appearance of that object, so you can decide which class you want to edit (and you can even edit it in realtime just to see what changes might look like).

Bleed likes this.