New IDE - What .. Why ..

I

ignaciorossi

Please, before reading this keep in mind that i love gamemaker and this post is meant as way to express my feelings about the studio 2 IDE.

I come from the old GMK1 IDE, im from an old era, but i have to ask:

What happened!?

How come there is so little customization for the new IDE? Why is every single action that used to be simple is now a convoluted "please-stick-as-many-windows-as-you-can-in-the-workspace" mess??

Why cant i overlap windows?? i want to have the event code on the middle of the screen -well i guess you can maximize the code window- oh, ok .. let me .. double click this top bar ... huh, nothing happens (Is at this moment i slooowly drag the mouse to the top right corner to maximize the window) ... great! now that im finished with that let me close the window and the object ... now i have to wait for the windows animation (that i cant disable)

Why is it that F12 became the most useful hot-key to make sense in the entire IDE??
(because it has no animation and leaves the code in a manageable area)

rIKmAN

I guess you didn't read the manual or check the IDE preferences before posting...
Why cant i overlap windows??
Enable window overlapping in File > Preferences > General Settings > Workspace > Workspace chains can overlap.
now i have to wait for the windows animation (that i cant disable)
Disable them in File > Preferences > General Settings > Disable IDE transition animations.
well i guess you can maximize the code window - oh, ok .. let me .. double click this top bar ...
Check the settings in File > Preferences > Text Editors where you can set scripts, shaders and object events to open in a full screen editor if that's what your prefer.

Search the forum, this has been discussed to death already and people have suggested methods to setup the IDE to work in ways which they (and maybe you would) prefer, but the workspace isn't going away so spend some time reading the other threads and trying the suggestions given to see if it starts to suit you better.

Alternatively give GMEdit a try which is an fully featured IDE by @YellowAfterlife which is a lot more traditional in terms of it's UI and has some advanced features.