• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Question - Code New - How relevant are GameMaker tutorials with GameMaker 2?

A

Animation_00#

Hi everyone,

I just upgraded my gamemaker that I got from a humble bundle

I just got started and have blown through the first tutorials on here but are there more tutorials out there that are somewhat accurate?

I've worked with other engines in the past where there were some really "flumbled" (not good) tutorials

so any new game maker 2 tutorials (language based) that would be awesome
but if the game maker is close enough where I can go by those please let me know

glad to join the community,

Perseus

Not Medusa
Forum Staff
You shouldn't really try working with GM:S 1.x tutorials if you want to use GMS 2, since GMS 2 has changed a few fundamental ways that older versions worked and as such the learning material for previous versions is only useful if you have an intimate knowledge of GML and the changes in GMS 2. [1] [2]

If you've just begun and have no prior experience of coding in GML, then I'll suggest not to use 1.x tutorials. Use the built-in tutorials (available under the "Tutorials" section) instead as they explain all the basics about the IDE and how to create a simple game. GMS 2 is still very new and the accumulation of learning materials might take some time. But there are already a number of tutorials on Youtube and around the forums, so make sure that you do a quick search and you'll get hours of stuff to mess with. That might not be very helpful if you're still a beginner, though, since most of them cover fundamental changes and that's lots of advanced stuff. So using the built-in tutorials and the Manual (use F1 in the IDE) will be the best way to go about. However, if you have an intimate knowledge of GML and all you want to learn is the logic behind different mechanics, then you shouldn't face too much trouble with 1.x tutorials.

M

Majindoom

I bought the humble bundle and upgraded to gms2 i never used 1.x ever. I've used plenty of 1.x tutorials with gms2 and I've learned a lot. If anything i feel I've learned more by working out the differences between 1.x and gms2 myself with no prior knowledge of gml or gms for that matter.. by using the included documentation. Things like working with depth of the object and importing sprites from sheet are all different and I was able to work it out.

A

Alarikun

I bought the humble bundle and upgraded to gms2 i never used 1.x ever. I've used plenty of 1.x tutorials with gms2 and I've learned a lot. If anything i feel I've learned more by working out the differences between 1.x and gms2 myself with no prior knowledge of gml or gms for that matter.. by using the included documentation. Things like working with depth of the object and importing sprites from sheet are all different and I was able to work it out.
I agree with this. For the most part, 1.X tutorials work with GMS2. Although they changed some of the functions and fundamentals, most of it will work. And for those bits that don't work, it can be part of the challenge to figure out why (which I've had to do a few times).

1.X tutorials are plentiful for almost any number of features out there, while GMS2 tutorials are still in their infancy. Eventually, they will catch up, but until then, go for 1.X ones.

Niels

instance create i= changed to instance_create_layer and instance_create_depth
you no longer have the view_xview and view_yview functions, you need to use view_camera.

so quite a few things changed, but the basic concepts will be the same

A

Animation_00#

thanks guys I've been reading the manual front to back so I might be able to help others on gms2 (even if a lot is similar)

A

AaronBowley

Thanks for posting about this! I'm brand new to GM, just started yesterday with the Beta. I'm having trouble with the phy_pos_x when i do it like in the tutorial (+=4;) etc it's not working :/ I'm about to try it out on 1.4 to make sure at the very least i can pull of the same tutorial in there but I'm hoping people will be kind enough as to share more tutorials.