• Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Discussion New GMS Feature Idea

A

av8956

So I'm watching a GMS Tutorial on Udemy and I noticed the Instructor Benjamin Andersen have us using a lot of scripts which are great. I was wondering why not be able type a script name in our code and being able to right click to create a new empty script with that name, kinda like how Visual studio does with generating an empty method. Also doing the same thing with an object we haven't created yet.

S

Sybok

Hey there :)

I've actually got VS open right now and can't see how you right click and create a method.

Not saying it can't be done, just something I'm not aware of how to even do. So it's hard for me to envisage how this would be an advantage over pressing 'Alt & C' to create a new script in GMS.

A

av8956

Hey there :)

I've actually got VS open right now and can't see how you right click and create a method.

Not saying it can't be done, just something I'm not aware of how to even do. So it's hard for me to envisage how this would be an advantage over pressing 'Alt & C' to create a new script in GMS.
you would type in a method name like GetNewCar() then you would right click on it and the menu pops up and you select quick actions and refactoring then another menu pops up and you select generate new method

FoxyOfJungle

Kazan Games
I don't see any problem with just clicking on the Resource Tree with the right button and creating a new script or ALT + C like @Sybok said, this feature is unnecessary in my vision.

A

av8956

I don't see any problem with just clicking on the Resource Tree with the right button and creating a new script or ALT + C like @Sybok said, this feature is unnecessary in my vision.
Maybe to you yes. but it's something that is used in a lot of other IDE's and can help make that task simpler

S

Sybok

you would type in a method name like GetNewCar() then you would right click on it and the menu pops up and you select quick actions and refactoring then another menu pops up and you select generate new method
I just tried it and after half a dozen mouse clicks, it threw an error in the end anyway.

Dunno. 'Alt C' just seems simpler to me.

Not disregarding your suggestion, but ultimately YYG is Judge and Jury anyway.

A

av8956

I just tried it and after half a dozen mouse clicks, it threw an error in the end anyway.

Dunno. 'Alt C' just seems simpler to me.

Not disregarding your suggestion, but ultimately YYG is Judge and Jury anyway.
yes by default when you generate a new method it adds throw an exception to remind you you haven't added your code. its like when you add an event in gm and it has the default ///@description

S

Sybok

That's got me even more confused now. So you need to have the code before you add the method? Sounds like the chicken and the egg.

And that's still quicker than "Alt C" and putting in your code from there?

A

av8956

OK lets try this a different way. Lets say you you use something like instance_create_layer(x, y, "Instances", objLaser3) but you forgot to create that laser. instead of going out of that script to make that object you right click on that objLaser and select create object, then that creates the new object with the name objLaser. Same thing with a script.1 less step you have to do

S

Sybok

Each to their own I guess. We all have different ways of achieving the same goal. No doubt about that. :)

A

av8956

Yeah your right. I started with GML 4 years ago doing it off and on. Then I finally made that leap over to unity and c#. its great but theres just sooo much you have to learn. I just wanna make games. I'm almost done with a 8hr tutorial and I already farther along then I was in unity. I'm really just trying to catch up with all the new stuff that's been added.

S

Sybok

Yeah, Unity (although frowned upon word around these parts by the Mod's - somehow by mentioning the word we are 'promoting it' :rolleyes:) has you jumping through all sorts of hoops and hides away what your game is really doing, making it pretty hard to do simple things if you don't know how to use it. I certainly don't, haha!

Slyddar

One problem with adding features, that are at best, minor improvements, is eventually they all add up, and they have the capacity to start to bog down the IDE, making it sluggish to use. The k.i.s.s method is probably applicable when it comes to an IDE.