• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

new game maker - beta couldn't convert my project

Maa2007

so i just installed the new game maker beta, i copied my project and opened it from the new game maker, game maker told me i have to convert your game, i clicked ok, game maker shows that its converting the game but then the prossess end and nothing actually happened, and i only have a folder with the name of the converted project but with nothing inside it

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Please file a bug report and include a link to the original (unconverted) project.

Maa2007

i want to clarify that i always get this message (image below) whenever i open my project on the older game maker, but I just click OK and ignore it
could it be this is the reason why the new game maker is not able to convert the project?
however, how can i get rid of this massage?

1592498508646.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
You can file a bug report from the Help menu > Report a Bug. And I'm not asking you to make your project public, I'm asking you to send a link to it to YYG along with the bug report. They will NOT make it public and it will only be used to debug the issue and resolve it.

Maa2007

I'm asking you to send a link to it to YYG along with the bug report. They will NOT make it public and it will only be used to debug the issue and resolve it.
I've been working on my project for two years non-stop, I can't just hand over all my hard work just like that, I don't know what YYG employees will do with it,
if it was a simple demo project I won't mind, but this is an actual near finished game

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Then I'm afraid you can't expect the issue to be fixed. I'd also say that the biggest names in GameMaker history have "handed their projects" over to YYG for bug fixing and testing (Swords of Ditto, Hyperlight Drifter, Hotline Miami, etc, etc, etc...) and nothing happened to them. ;) Do you honestly think it's in YYGs interest to steal the intelectual property of others? Do you think GameMaker as a product would be around very long if they did?

Maa2007

why game maker have to convert the game couldn't it just open it and highlight the legacy code and let you fix it manually,

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
why game maker have to convert the game couldn't it just open it and highlight the legacy code and let you fix it manually,
The entire project structure has been changed in 2.3 to accommodate the new features and also to fix multiple long-term bugs relating to source control. So, conversion is required.

Maa2007

i want to clarify that i always get this message (image below) whenever i open my project on the older game maker, but I just click OK and ignore it
could it be this is the reason why the new game maker is not able to convert the project?
however, how can i get rid of this massage?

View attachment 32159

hello guys I want to update for you that the above quoted post was indeed the problem,
i fixed my project on the old game maker first by opening the project file in a notepad and deleting the corrupted keys, and that fixed it and I didn't get the above message anymore, then when I opened my project in the new game maker it got converted without any problem