Idea New game idea of mine, acceptable or not? [CLOSED]

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

ethian

Greetings

I was inspired on a certain browser game and i got a new video game idea, because that browser game is original, and it inspired me to make original games like this in some sense.

It's like Volleyball, but they can't make the ball be outta the game field for make a team get a goal, and the ball, when it's in the middle of the net, it flies and dodges the enemies' attacks.

It's this :

1. The ball is from 2 of 4 characters. (They're the main heroes of the game)
2. The ball is tossed avoiding the enemies' attacks.
3. The ball is flying and must dodge the enemies' attacks eating all the food it must eat.
4. When the ball ate all the food dodging the attacks, repeat.

I just came to know if this idea is acceptable or not, despite being similar to another game... because of its lack of violence and the concept of dodging enemies' attacks on an RPG...

And the attacks are called "Bullet patterns"...

It's acceptable or not?

If there's an unnaceptable part, i'll fix it.

Thanks.

I also forgot to say, can enemies have coded animations (Coded moving limbs)? Or that's unnaceptable as this idea is from another game?

Also, the only way to defeat enemies is to make them get tired of attacking and attacking... is this acceptable or not?

L

Lonewolff

Do some research and look up if there are patents protecting any of the game mechanics you just mentioned. If there's a patent that's still active, it's not acceptable.
Geez, how would you even begin to do a search like that?

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Indeed, how would we? :) Anyone who isn't a lawyer is probably not any more qualified to do this research than the topic author himself.

There are various governmental websites which offer an index of patents or a searchable patent library, such as the USPTO's PatFT, as well as not-so-governmental ones like Google Patents. At that point, I'd just hire a lawyer to do this for me.

L

Lonewolff

Even if you were a lawyer, I'd still imagine it would be a huge task to even scrape the surface on seeing if your idea conflicts with another patent.

All I know is, I'm not allowed to make a 'plasma shield'. Boeing owns that 'idea'.

Joe Ellis

You know what! Your idea is that hard to search for a copyright for that I think it's ok
As a young fisherman once said: "wait that be till a moment when that guy come"

Joe Ellis

I just made up a game about an onion that rolls down a hill, sure, loads of onions have rolled down hills.

Oh also, you should actually name the game that you're worried about infringing copyright of, it makes it alot clearer to us and will get you a better answer in the long run.

Joe Ellis

I made up a game earlier called "Go find conkers"

It's about a boy who goes to find conkers in the woods, but on several ways there, he comes into alot of obstacles, the game ends when he finds conkers, but no one knows how long it will be till he does.

And the title description is:

In a game where the title has more description than a description ever could, the only thing left to do is... *glances at title, realizes that the creator is a genius*

Toque

I don’t quite understand the game.

But. Volleyball mechanic and dodging attacks is not copyrighted. Your fine.

Don’t clone the other game or characters and your fine. Make it your own.

pixeltroid

I think the mechanics that are copyrighted need to be extremely specific.

For example, I read that the PUBG mechanic of an airstrike on a random part of the island that happens every few minutes is copyrighted / patented

However, airstrikes or an open world environments by themselves are not copyrighted. It's all so confusing!

Last edited:

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Just to make sure we're all talking about the same thing...

A copyright protects intellectual property, specifically original works, such as a piece of artwork, a musical track or code.

A patent protects the idea of an invention and the right to market it.

This topic is about patents as well as potentially unfounded paranoia regarding whether an amalgamation of various bits and pieces of game mechanics strung together from multiple other games still looks sufficiently like a ripoff for potential players or authors of the original games to notice it and... do what exactly after that? I'm unsure about that part.

Toque

I think the mechanics that are copyrighted need to be extremely specific.

For example, I read that the PUBG mechanic of an airstrike on a random part of the island that happens every few minutes is copyrighted.

However, airstrikes or an open world environments by themselves are not copyrighted. It's all so confusing!

I agree. I don’t think basic mechanics are a problem. Avoiding attacks is not. Every first person shooter does this.
The copyright of volleyball mechanic?? I wouldn’t worry about it.

It’s natural when young and inexperienced to copy or emulate things. It’s a safe and natural way of learning things in life.

But with games just do your own thing. The high risk of failure is worth it. Own it. It’s crap but it’s my crap.

You can be inspired by other artists. We all do. I wouldn’t look at this other game anymore. Go forward on your own or your game will be a worthless clone of this other game. Make a Ethan game.

E

ethian

Don’t clone the other game or characters and your fine. Make it your own.
I agree with this.
Volleyball with ripped Undertale sprites. What not to like?
I would like Volleyball with my own sprites, that's more fun that using ripped sprites from another game.

After all, my new game idea is like a combination of Pac-Man, Volleyball, Undertale, Deltarune and...

So, isn't that bad, a new-seeming game must be a combination of other games and...

Toque

Sounds good. Make it a ethan game.

why dont you flip it? I know you want to make a non violent game.

Instead of avoiding an attack why not flip it? You are travelling in a group. Your super ability is to absorb all attacks. You must absorb all attacks to reduce the suffering to your group. Noble and non violent as you just absorb the attacks.

My point is you can take other game ideas and make them your own. Brainstorm crazy ideas. Eventually one will be good.

Game design on paper not youtube.

Pizzatale RPG.

I dont know whats in the pizza delivery peoples water but they have gone bezerk. Thowing pizzas everywhere. Protect the kids by taking all the hits. We cant have pizzas hitting our children. The bruises, obesity, cholesterol. The evil pizza makers even have nut pizzas. Save our children.

Last edited:
E

ethian

Wow, @Toque

I like the ideas of absorbing attacks and the pizza one, but i still like my own game ideas... why not my shown game idea? It's unnaceptable after all? I still like it...

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
Then just go for it, but stick with it instead of coming up with a new one every other day - that way, you'll be worrying less about the acceptability, the patentbreakiness and the copyright infringimity of your new ideas and actually get the game made.

E

ethian

So my game idea is acceptable after all, huh?

I will have fun with it if its true

TsukaYuriko

☄️
Forum Staff
If it makes you stop worrying about all these small details and posting a topic a day about new ones just to repeat the same thing as the day before with nothing gained from either: Yes, it's acceptable. ;)

pixeltroid

If it makes you stop worrying about all these small details and posting a topic a day about new ones just to repeat the same thing as the day before with nothing gained from either: Yes, it's acceptable. ;)
But wait... he said he was "inspired by a certain browser game". Technically, an inspired idea cannot count as "original". OP now has no choice but to think of a fresh, new, uninspired idea and come back to tell us!

Toque

I agree with this.

I would like Volleyball with my own sprites, that's more fun that using ripped sprites from another game.

After all, my new game idea is like a combination of Pac-Man, Volleyball, Undertale, Deltarune and...

So, isn't that bad, a new-seeming game must be a combination of other games and...
Sure go with your idea. I was just showing it’s easy to come up with own ideas.

Just don’t go Inspired>obsession>clone

Niels

On the other hand, I do get some flack for my current project (a top down arcade ship battle game) for being similar to someone else's game (shipped) when I post updates about it on social media...even when I was only aware of that title when people started to compare our projects.

My project:
IMG_20190713_110648.png

Shipped:

Last edited:

curato

You will find that there are very few games out there that are truly original and nothing has ever been done like that before. Pick something small and manageable that sounds fun to you can go for it. No one is going to ding you for being kinda like their game. Ripping the art out is what you need to worry about if you actually end up with something successful that would be a problem.

A

Andy

If I remember correctly, you talked about getting big on YouTube once.
The publicity and public support you could achieve being attacked over 2D volleyball mechanics would honestly probably get you subscriptions. :p

E

ethian

Hey, @Toque

Inspired in other browser game, i got a new game idea, and it's about pizzas and removing attacks!

But it's not 100% exactly as the game ideas you gave to me, sorry.

E

ethian

A browser game involving puzzles and attacks?

Unacceptable.
It dowsn't include puzzles, also, i know why it's unnaceptable for some reason...

Because it's too hard? Lol

I had so much fun with my new game idea, and more than the others.

The game is called "Pizza Picnic Problem", and in it, you need to avoid make the bad pizza made by the villains to come to the mouths of innocent people.

It won't be released until 13 years from now for some reason (Sorry, folks :( )

Also, the problem of this thread is solved. Don't you noticed it?

Thread closed?

Last edited by a moderator:

Niels

8in
It dowsn't include puzzles, also, i know why it's unnaceptable for some reason...

Because it's too hard? Lol

I had so much fun with my new game idea, and more than the others.

The game is called "Pizza Picnic Problem", and in it, you need to avoid make the bad pizza made by the villains to come to the mouths of innocent people.

It won't be released until 13 years from now for some reason (Sorry, folks :( )

Also, the problem of this thread is solved. Don't you noticed it?

Thread closed?
The way you formulate sentences keeps fascinating me:)

You should write a puzzle game.

Toque

8in

The way you formulate sentences keeps fascinating me:)

You should write a puzzle game.

A lot of users here English is not their first language.

I wouldn’t worry too much about the grammar. Though yes I have s hard time deciphering some posts too. Haha.

Toque

It was a joke (whoosh) - the spoiler in my post, don't you noticed it? ;)

I'll keep my eye out for the release in 13yrs, good luck!
I’m hoping Ethian surprises us some day. If you never quit you never fail.

No ethian I don’t see [solved] on your post.

Get your game going. Show us your success.

Niels

I wouldn’t worry too much about the grammar. Though yes I have s hard time deciphering some posts too. Haha.
I'm not talking about grammar, I'm talking about writing every sentence like it's a riddle)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
No, this idea is not acceptable. If you don't have the guts to accept it yourself, why is it then our responsibility to accept it for you? This nonsense is a running theme for you, and it has stopped being funny a long time ago. Stop it already.

At this point, any idea that is legally sound and isn't compulsively posted on the GMC for peer approval would be acceptable.

E

ethian

So, this website contains more users from other countries that doesn't speak English than users from US and UK where they speak English mainly? Wow!
No, this idea is not acceptable
Don't worry, i won't use that idea mentioned before, i will use the other that is more fun personally for some reason.
At this point, any idea that is legally sound and isn't compulsively posted on the GMC for peer approval would be acceptable.
Uh oh! I commited other error here...

Status
Not open for further replies.