OFFICIAL New Free Educator Resources

ATY@Y@

We've just launched a complete educator resource for educators to teach students how to program in GameMaker Studio 2 using Drag and Drop, created for us by Terry Watts, an Educator and former Game Designer.

It is a comprehensive practical programming scheme of work designed to introduce students to the basics of programming and additionally includes tutorials, homeworks and tasks to make a game called Space Bubbles.

For full details and to download visit: https://www.yoyogames.com/blog/540/education-learning-to-program

Slyddar

This seems like a good direction, and an excellent resource. Obviously lots of work has gone into it, and as someone who teaches drag and drop, it's great to see more resources available.

I grabbed the full download, and have only looked at one powerpoint, the file "L01 - Introduction.pptx", but the order of the slides in that file seems wrong. You might want to double check that.

EDIT: Actually it's not out of order, it's just strange, as you ask them to write the homework out first, with these foreign terms, before you've actually introduced them. Might not be the best way to start a lesson, but I guess it's just a framework and teachers can adjust as they seem fit.

Last edited:

ATY@Y@

This seems like a good direction, and an excellent resource. Obviously lots of work has gone into it, and as someone who teaches drag and drop, it's great to see more resources available.

I grabbed the full download, and have only looked at one powerpoint, the file "L01 - Introduction.pptx", but the order of the slides in that file seems wrong. You might want to double check that.

EDIT: Actually it's not out of order, it's just strange, as you ask them to write the homework out first, with these foreign terms, before you've actually introduced them. Might not be the best way to start a lesson, but I guess it's just a framework and teachers can adjust as they seem fit.
I think it's a slight misunderstanding. At the start of Lesson 1 you are saying that there is a Homework that will need to be completed before the start of the next lesson (not there and then), and the first slide shows part of the homework sheet. The homework is about understanding the different terms, the lesson is then delivered, which tells the pupils about the terms, and the homework sheets are completed afterwards by the students. There are separate Homework sheets to be provided to the pupils, accompanied by a teacher version with the answers. At first sight the first slide looks like it is the whole homework sheet, but it isn't.

Hope that helps.

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Official homework resources seems like a fantastic asset to compliment the existing educational program! But can students actually do their homework...?

(I skimmed through the official educational page on the yoyogames main site, but a cursory glance didn't have enough info to tell me whether the concerns in that topic from june have been addressed in the new education program... if students can't use GM at home, I wouldn't imagine the official homework material will get used a lot. But props for the effort, I guess~)

ATY@Y@

Official homework resources seems like a fantastic asset to compliment the existing educational program! But can students actually do their homework...?

(I skimmed through the official educational page on the yoyogames main site, but a cursory glance didn't have enough info to tell me whether the concerns in that topic from june have been addressed in the new education program... if students can't use GM at home, I wouldn't imagine the official homework material will get used a lot. But props for the effort, I guess~)
None of the three homeworks we've provided require the use of GameMaker.

Appsurd

I greatly welcome such an initiative from YoYo, it's a good and easy way to start up your lessons.
However, I still think the price of the licenses is too high. Since the target groups are primary/secondary schools and most schools do not have much money, most schools decide to use other software. That's a shame, because GameMaker is such a great tool to use. Hopefully YoYo changes its mind at a later stage, but I'm afraid that will not happen