OFFICIAL New Forum Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Snail Man

Yeah, off topic doesn't count towards post count (notice how you now have 5 posts)
This is intentional.

KurtBlissZ

So a few feature suggestions.
1. Get notified whenever someone edits a post on a watched thread.
2. A slideshow, something similar to this.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, Prefixes are no longer on the left of the topic title and thread view, but instead floated right. There are a couple of minor formatting issues with this which we're looking into solving, but hopefully this will make browsing the forums easier for everyone. :)

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
And another update! Sticky topics are now seperated from the rest of the topics, and locked topics are faded out to make them more obvious...

Phew, been busy this morning!!!! Hopefully most of the issues have now been ironed out (although I'm still looking at a minor formatting issue with prefixes not being correctly floated to the right, but I think I know how that can be fixed... ;))

R

rui.rosario

@Nocturne, don't forget to update the Preferences (like the Alerts Preferences) to update the Messages to Posts as well! :p

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Pffff.... "Messages" appears in like 100 different places! I'll change them a bit at a time when I can be bothered... :p

Lukasmah

While the forum is pretty active, I think individual topics might end up getting a bit less activity.

Topic creation rate is pretty high, subforums are gone so topics which would previously be in their own subforums now end up in the same place and the topic count per page is pretty low. All of these things make it very easy for topic to be pushed down to another page without proper replies unless they become relatively active very fast.

Now, obviously, not much can be done about the creation rate. The forums are just very active. Subforums are gone, and I know they're not coming back.

But can the topic count per page be increased?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Agreed... Okay, I've increased this to 50? Does that seem like too much? Maybe 30 would be better? Let me know... :)

R

rui.rosario

One thing I actually don't like is the fact the right panel shows latest post instead of latest thread. I think this may cause new threads to become ignored due to famous threads having a lot of activity. On that note, I also dislike that if A writes something in B's profile, then a status update is posted from A -> B in the Status Update panel.

EDIT: I would also like the ability to filter by prefix... but with the oportunity to be inclusive or exclusive (for example, all threads without the Solved tag)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good job to whoever's making the changes so far. (Nocturne? Edit: yep) Forum is looking better already. One thing that's bothering me is the status sidebar - the like and reply buttons, as well as the number of comments a status has gotten are hidden. Statuses were never very busy, but now I'm even less interested in checking them out, since I can't see when there are conversations going on. I imagine there are others who feel the same way. How hard would that be to fix?

The captcha is Googles re-captcha which is (in most people's opinion) the best and easiest to use for most people... as for the password, I'm sorry, but we aren't changing the requirements there. Look at using Last Pass or some other software maybe? (last pass is great and has a free version)
RE: Passwords: Easy option I learned from xkcd (https://xkcd.com/936/) - use a short sentence/phrase with punctuation. Easy to remember and type, and apparently more secure than most common types of passwords. CatsLikeBrightOranges!

Last edited:
G

Guest User

Alright so I don't know if this has been mentioned but it seems there's no way to change how many posts are listed per page when viewing a discussion (or how many topics per page when viewing a forum).
I don't know about others but I'd rather scroll down endlessly than have more than one page; on the old forums I was able to set this number to a very high amount, which was nice.

Is it possible for this functionality to be re-added?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
There is no way to change the number of topics/posts that you see on a per user basis. I have already upped this from 20 to 50 though... and I don't hink it would be a good idea to up it any more, as it may cause issues with people on mobile or low powered machines, etc...

As for the status stuff, I've had a look at this already (as I'm not too happy with it myself) and it's not something I think I can fix, since it's all very tangled in there within the xenforo hooks... :p

G

Guest User

There is no way to change the number of topics/posts that you see on a per user basis. I have already upped this from 20 to 50 though... and I don't hink it would be a good idea to up it any more, as it may cause issues with people on mobile or low powered machines, etc...

As for the status stuff, I've had a look at this already (as I'm not too happy with it myself) and it's not something I think I can fix, since it's all very tangled in there within the xenforo hooks... :p
Alrighty, I just noticed that it was upped to 50. I'm happy with 50~

Ah, that's too bad then. I'll just hope it happens down the road if xenforo itself updates or something, haha. Forums do look better since yesterday, though. Thanks for the work you've done on them already. O /

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
It seems I can't edit my own topic's title, can it be enabled for us relatively easily? Changing topic titles is useful, when providing additional information (e.g. whether a job offer is open or closed, when the game topic was last updated, what is the current status of a community event etc.).

I

icuurd12b42

It seems I can't edit my own topic's title, can it be enabled for us relatively easily? Changing topic titles is useful, when providing additional information (e.g. whether a job offer is open or closed, when the game topic was last updated, what is the current status of a community event etc.).
upload_2016-6-22_21-24-59.png

Coded Games

Not sure if it's been suggested, but adding some way to see the number of comments on a Profile Post in the New Profile Posts Box of the sidebar would definitely make it better.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Okay, you can edit the topic title from the to right of the post. Simply hover over it and then select "Edit Thread" (as Icuurd has shown in the image :) ).

There is no option for military time, sorry.

Stickies and closed topics are now VERY clear (fixed that one yesterday) and I don't think they require icons at all anymore...

Yes, it's been suggested that the comments in the sidebar could be better formatted... I've looked into it and spent a good few hours yesterday afternoon trying to work out the spaghetti code of hooks and redirects that make up the Xenforo template for that section, but all to no avail! Honestly, most of the forum is really easy to edit, but all the sidebar stuff is as clear as mud...

tl;dr: No, the sidebar comments won't be getting changed.

H

Hiznopellagio

If you quote a post that's nothing more than a quote, the quoted quote won't show in your post

A

Aura

If you quote a post that's nothing more than a quote, the quoted quote won't show in your post
Oh my heavenly creatures, we won't be able to make quote pyramids ever again! D:

Jokes aside, I like it the way it is. Makes things so much easier and cleaner.

H

Hiznopellagio

That... seems reasonable? I mean, if you are quoting something I'd imagine it's to reply to it...
I don't think you get me. Case on point, on this post (which I'm sure you've acknowledged :p), I also quoted Dark's post, which didn't show in my post, but did notify them.
upload_2016-6-23_16-57-35.png

It's probably because the insta-quote only included the details of the post instead of also including the content, requiring you to manually quote them
upload_2016-6-23_17-0-11.png

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Hmmm... I'll look and see if anything can be done, but I wouldn't hold my breath that it'll be fixed.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Oh boy, I will need some time to get used to this new look···
I have some problems with the look, but I'm not a graphic designer nor a psychologist so I can't really explain WHY I have some of these problems.
I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this post, maybe I'm just a nostalgiafag, and/or completely wrong, but these are my thoughts.
First of all, my first impression with this website, (well, aside from a nostalgic overload) was "was this designed by a teenager for a school project?". That's my first complaint, it doesn't really look professional, it's... too "round", too childish.
Second, it kinda hurts my eyes, all the text everywhere, the other forum had a lot more "graphic" interpretations of buttons and things, like for example the reputation system, here, there's a ton of text, and very small text, it's just very chaotic, and unpleasing to look at, especially with these grey colours the forum has.
And this is just me being a pure nostalgiafag, but I miss the old reputation system, I miss the downvotes and upvotes, the beautiful red accompanying a crappy post.
Well, I'll get used to it eventually. But I think the old forum looked way more professional, and the layout before that, before the big hack in 2014 I think was even better.

Last edited:

Kepons

Lost The Bet
I'm sorry if I offend anyone with this post, maybe I'm just a nostalgiafag, and/or completely wrong, but these are my thoughts.
You're not offending anyone (not me, at least), it's perfectly normal to like or dislike how something looks and you can't be wrong about that. Personally, I think the new GMC looks better than the old one. It has its flaws, but nothing as horrible as the old quote boxes and other broken things. I'm completely neutral to the textual representation of things that could've been buttons because what matters the most to me is that they do what they're meant to do.

A

Aura

I have issues with the topics per page and posts per page. 50 seems way too high. You should bring the TPP down to 30 (or 25). And it would be great if PPP was brought down to 20 similar to what it was on the last GMC earlier. Makes it easy to navigate and read topics. Gigantic pages are not everybody's cup of tea.

F

F_Clowder

I'm fine with 50ppp, it's the way I had it set in the other forum. Then again, I also had everyone's annoyingly large sigs and unnecessary gubbins turned off, so it was easy to read through :-D

I have issues with the topics per page and posts per page. 50 seems way too high.[snip]
Ooooooh! Wonder if this will be the first poll of the new forum!?!?!? :banana:
Does it support polls? Haven't seen one yet.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Pfff... you can't please everyone. The original limit was 20 topics per page and that was complained about so I upped it to 50... If more people complain I'll compromise and go with 30 but after that it won't change.

Kepons

Lost The Bet
I think 50 is good. When browsing long threads, it breaks the flow of reading far less often. Just like Nocturne said, somebody will always be dissatisfied. A user option to change posts per page would be nice, although it's likely impossible, so everyone will just have to settle with whatever it's set to by Nocturne.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
How about keeping 50 topics per forum page, but setting 30 posts per topic page. Threads are usually pretty consise, posts not necessarily so...

R

rui.rosario

Just edited the page's html on my browser. 5 seconds (literally it's just needed to add a few classes, look at the reply, quote and like buttons).

upload_2016-6-24_0-7-56.png

F

F_Clowder

Pfff... you can't please everyone. The original limit was 20 topics per page and that was complained about so I upped it to 50... If more people complain I'll compromise and go with 30 but after that it won't change.
Soooo ... to intentionally misread what you said:
In order to keep it at 50ppp we should ask for it to be at 100ppp
;-D

Mr. RPG

Just set it to whatever it was for the old GMC. :p

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Oh yes, I've got one specific problem that could do a lot about the "chaotic" feel I've talked about before.
Everything is very wide, the text and "boxes" of posts and topics goes from the far left to the far right on a 1920width screen, that makes everything look so intimidating IMO, the older forums were less wide, and had open space in the borders, that made it way easier to read everything, and less chaotic and "bustling" (got diz word from G00GLE translate). It won't be hard to do, and would make a big difference, in my opinion, and this time I'm pretty sure of my opinion.
Who agrees or disagrees with this?

A

Aura

Apart from large number of PPP and TPP, I suggest that the number of profile posts (status updates) per page should be reduced as well. With so many PPPP and almost each with one or more comments, it becomes tough to scroll to a certain profile post, especially if you view it on a small resolution device. Accessing amongst multiple pages would be a lot better. 30 seems the best option for both PPP and TPP, while 20 would be ideal for PPPP IMO.

M

metateen

Oh boy, I will need some time to get used to this new look···
I have some problems with the look, but I'm not a graphic designer nor a psychologist so I can't really explain WHY I have some of these problems.
First of all, my first impression with this website, (well, aside from a nostalgic overload) was "was this designed by a teenager for a school project?". That's my first complaint, it doesn't really look professional, it's... too "round", too childish.
Second, it kinda hurts my eyes, all the text everywhere, the other forum had a lot more "graphic" interpretations of buttons and things, like for example the reputation system, here, there's a ton of text, and very small text, it's just very chaotic, and unpleasing to look at, especially with these grey colours the forum has.
And this is just me being a pure nostalgiafag, but I miss the old reputation system, I miss the downvotes and upvotes, the beautiful red accompanying a crappy post.
Well, I'll get used to it eventually. But I think the old forum looked way more professional, and the layout before that, before the big hack in 2014 I think was even better.
Hot damn, that pink text. Certainly stands out from the bland boring text. Much more of an eye grabber...

I don't think I could get used to the new look either but thats overall a taste in preference than anything else on my end.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
Could we get a different-colored "Solved" prefix that's also on top of the list (so that it's easier to find solved topics when browsing Q&A, and easier to find the 'solved' prefix when marking your topic)?

Alex

alexcjw
My first post.

A user named @Alex@ was quoted by another user in a different topic. I was notified by this, even though I was nothing to do with it, but I had a similar name.

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.