OFFICIAL New Forum Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ax209

Is it possible to second on here something that someone has already said, for emphasis?

It's just that, I relied on google a lot to search the old forums. But now they're not getting picked up by google, I'm having a difficult time finding the correct answers to my questions. There are other places out there that have the answers do show on google, however, it's nowhere near as comprehensive.

And searching on either forums...it just doesn't give the same results. :(

I

icuurd12b42

Is it possible to second on here something that someone has already said, for emphasis?

It's just that, I relied on google a lot to search the old forums. But now they're not getting picked up by google, I'm having a difficult time finding the correct answers to my questions. There are other places out there that have the answers do show on google, however, it's nowhere near as comprehensive.

And searching on either forums...it just doesn't give the same results. :(
Been asking for a fix for this for 1 month and half... so dont get your hopes up

G

GVmG

Hey there appears to be a little but incredibly annoying problem on Vivaldi (a browser based on Chromium).

Basically when I'm writing stuff in text fields on the GMC (and the GMC only), certain inputs are considered as if they were given to the browser and not to the textbox.

I'll explain: In most browsers, if no text field is selected, pressing backspace will go to the previìously visited page. If you are writing in a textbox, it will just delete text, as it should. CTRL+Z should undo text input/deletion, but in some browsers including Vivaldi, CTRL*Z can alzo re-open the last closed tab.

Those things work the wrong way on the GMC. They will always be considered instructions for the browser. If I press backspace to delete some text, the browser will go back to the previous page, effectively destroying everything I wrote up to that point. If I press ctrl+z to undo whatever thing I have to undo, it re-opens the last closed page.

Note that these functions work perfectly on every other website I use, from reddit to twitter to facebook to youtube to google to the osu! forums to a few more. Therefore I suppose it's a problem with the GMC's forum software not being able to tell Vivaldi that this where I'm typing right now is a textbox.

This can get pretty annoying. For example I had to re-type half of a certain message in another topic because backspace kept going back instead of deleting text.

Anyway, an extremely important detail is that this doesn't always happen. I don't know exactly what makes the browser think I'm not in a text field, but I'll try different ways on different browsers to see if it is actually just a Vivaldi issue (even though I didn't have any issue with Firefox in the past).

EDIT: I had it happen in the other topic when I entered the topic where I had posted and tried to edit the post, that's when it had the problem. But it doesn't do it with this post right here. I'll try doing some more similar steps.

EDIT2: nope, I cannot replicate the issue that did already happen twice in the past. Next time it happens I'll try to provide more info.

EDIT3: had the problem again, seemingly after trying to edit a post again, in a third different topic. The only difference I could notice from usual is that the cursor (the white bar that blinks on and off while typing) wasn't visible even though I was able to type.

As soon as I pressed backspace to delete a thing, it went back to the previous page. When I tried to edit the message again, the cursor was visible, and deleting and using ctrl+z had the normal delete and undo behaviour.

Last edited by a moderator:
R

roytheshort

Can we stop with the crap about passwords? This has been explained and won't change. Playtech made it a condition for having the forums open. You want less restrictions? Then fine, but you won't have a GMC then... It's not going to change no matter how much one or two users dislike it.
If those one or two users buy all the PlayTech stock just to make that one specific change you'll have egg on your face!

I

icuurd12b42

Just found another issue too.

When you attempt to enter your Twitter account in the appropriate field in Contact Details is errors out with;

Tried the Twitter name with and without the @ symbol. My Twitter name is text only with no symbols or spaces.
It wants the full twitter url /username

S

Storyteller

one more for the atrocious password requirements. please forward our collective complaint to Playfirst at the next possible meting.
I do not want my forum and software account passwords linked.
I do not want to use a long giant cumbersome password.
I do not want to go install/buy/download or use 3rd party password management software.
I do not want to use this forum if I must remember this different, unique, cumbersome and annoying password. I can only hope my browser caught it, if not it will be my only post.
Please inform Playfirst they will lose money if they maintain this policy. Your hands are tied, our wallets are not.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
They aren't? No idea why you say that... the forum and YYG accounts are completely 100% separate entities...

I do not want to use this forum if I must remember this different, unique, cumbersome and annoying password. I can only hope my browser caught it, if not it will be my only post.
So, you aren't using a unique password for every site? That's, umm... brave? Seriously, security 101, use a unique password for every site...

I do not want to go install/buy/download or use 3rd party password management software.
I'll leave this here: https://www.troyhunt.com/only-secure-password-is-one-you-cant/ (note that the writer is Microsoft Regional Director for Australia and the Microsoft "Most Valuable Professional" for Developer Security... He also created the site Have I Been Pwned and is the author of many top-rated courses on web security)

Now, I shall indeed pass these complaints along (and have already), but I really do feel that this is a storm in a teacup.... :(

Last edited:
I

icuurd12b42

one more for the atrocious password requirements. please forward our collective complaint to Playfirst at the next possible meting.
Please inform Playfirst they will lose money if they maintain this policy. Your hands are tied, our wallets are not.
I do not want to have to install/buy/download or use 3rd party tool to program games :)

Come on man. I have not had to enter my password on here ever aside the very first login...
And why not get a password generator/management tool? Get KeePass, it's free. shift+ctrl+A to log on if chrome forgot your password, like if you had to clean your browser data... it's pretty easy... Welcome to 2016 :).

S

Storyteller

I do not want to have to install/buy/download or use 3rd party tool to program games :)

Come on man. I have not had to enter my password on here ever aside the very first login...
And why not get a password generator/management tool? Get KeePass, it's free. shift+ctrl+A to log on if chrome forgot your password, like if you had to clean your browser data... it's pretty easy... Welcome to 2016 :).
I am not really interested in laying out my password management practices.
I will say that if you merely consider Gamemaker used in any kind of academic setting, you will have people changing computers, classrooms and buildings several times each day. Should a student want to ask a question about development on these forums while on a campus or school computer lab, such a software would need to be installed on that computer owned by a university or school that was the same as whatever that person used on their home software. Password management software is convenient but not always practical in this and many other environments.

I did read the article linked by Nocturne and found such practice overkill and slightly paranoid. There are many levels and practices in password management in between the extremes of using "1234" as your password for everything and a dedicated password management system.

I can say many top tier universities do not have the same requirements for passwords as this forum for game development software. Adobe's password is not this long nor is it common on any other major software providers site I am aware of. 10 digits is long, I would recommend 6 or 8 if I had to pick a number, but 10 is excessive for a forum where it is stated explicitly that our forum passwords are not tied to our financial information.

I appreciate that our complaint has been passed on to those who make the decisions, but again, I do not feel this is the appropriate place to discuss password security practices in general and it is certainly not the purview of the staff here to dictate what password management practices or software will, won't or should be used by any of it's customers. It is good to know that the staff is willing to address our concerns with their upper management, that's a good thing to see in a company. I certainly hope they can get those controllers to see reason. I can understand Playfirst's perspective given their normal industry practices, but this (a game software forum) is not that (a group of softwares with coupled financial information).

Again, thank you.

I

icuurd12b42

I am not really interested in laying out my password management practices.
I will say that if you merely consider Gamemaker used in any kind of academic setting, you will have people changing computers, classrooms and buildings several times each day. Should a student want to ask a question about development on these forums while on a campus or school computer lab, such a software would need to be installed on that computer owned by a university or school that was the same as whatever that person used on their home software. Password management software is convenient but not always practical in this and many other environments.

Again, thank you.
I concede and admit my shortsightedness and ignorance in the matter of university/college/school use, if they dont allow you plugging in your usb thumb drive, a password management app is somewhat useless.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
@Storyteller - Thank you for expanding on your reasons and I will most definitely be pointing the appropriate people towards your post, as it does indeed provide a very valid reason for why you think the password rules are restrictive.

N

NPT

@Storyteller - Thank you for expanding on your reasons and I will most definitely be pointing the appropriate people towards your post, as it does indeed provide a very valid reason for why you think the password rules are restrictive.
It's unfortunate the other forum password topics were shutdown with increasingly popular "Not gonna happen" closing post, preventing valid justification, reason and discussion.

R

Rusty

They aren't? No idea why you say that... the forum and YYG accounts are completely 100% separate entities...
Because I asked you about it and you responded by ignoring that concern and telling me to "stop with the password crap" rather than actually addressing my concern on the issue perhaps?

The reason the password concerns are being so dragged out isn't because of us, it's because of you and the way you and the rest of the YYG staff are handling this situation. Instead of just giving us a clear cut answers and trying to ease our concerns in this regard you've just been ignoring our concerns and telling us to shut up. Being defensive and evasive on the subject doesn't exactly put our minds at ease.

If you just take the time to actually support your customer base here and give us a little explanation about why this happened and what this actually means for the forums then this whole thing will die down an awful lot faster than trying to play a shut out game with us. I don't understand how YYG can have such a strong and personal relationship with it's community and still be so terrible when it comes to basic community management.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
The reason the password concerns are being so dragged out isn't because of us, it's because of you and the way you and the rest of the YYG staff are handling this situation. Instead of just giving us a clear cut answers and trying to ease our concerns in this regard you've just been ignoring our concerns and telling us to shut up. Being defensive and evasive on the subject doesn't exactly put our minds at ease.
Umm... I haven't been defensive or evasive? I've clearly stated from day one that it's not going to change as it's something that Playtech has made a requirement for re-opening the forums. That's pretty much it... I can't say any more as there is nothing more to say. I can't handle it any differently as there isn't really any way to say "no" other than "no"... I haven't been ignoring your concerns either, I've simply been saying that regardless of your reasons, this is a change that won't be getting made, and it's not because I don't want to (I don't actually care either way personally), it's because I literally can't do anything.

Now, yes, my personal opinion up until the previous post about schools was that this is a stupid thing for people to get all upset about, and yes, my comment about "stop the crap already" was wrong and for that I apologise. All I ask is that you guys understand that I am getting PM's about this and getting topics made about this, when I can't do anything about it and have made it clear that I can't do anything about it. It's incredibly frustrating to be in this position...

R

Rusty

It's incredibly frustrating to be in this position...
It's incredibly frustrating on this side when in response to a legitimate concern about forum security, we get directed to articles by Troy Hunt, one of Microsoft's "security elite". This becomes a much weirder response when you take into account that this password is for a free forum that holds no relevant, life altering information about it's users. There is nothing to steal, there is nothing to take, there is nothing here. Even Microsoft, the company that employs the expert you linked to, doesn't enforce this kind of password restrictions on any of it's services (that I know of) which hold much higher valued assets. Linking us to articles by Troy Hunt is a weird and evasive response.

I understand that repeating the same company line over and over again can be frustrating. This process only gets more frustrating when you frustrate the users because in turn they get frustrated (as seen above) and then it becomes a vicious cycle. You might not be able to change that and we (mostly accept that) but allowing us the chance to talk, amongst ourselves and with you, about the concerns we have (fixable or otherwise) makes this whole process go a lot smoother rather than getting yourself bombarded with individual requests about it.

Playing the shut out game with the community doesn't work and linking us to Troy Hunt articles is a really weird response. I just want to emphasise this, linking to Troy Hunt articles, Troy Hunt, one of the guys in charge of handling high end security for user accounts that deal with actual finances, customer details and multiple transactions with an international super company, is a really, really weird response.

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
is a really, really weird response
It was a specific response to a couple of very specific comments, and within the context of the quoted conversation it was not weird nor evasive. And, let's be honest, if a leading expert in security suggests that using a complex password and a password manager is the best way to do things, then I'd take his advice. You are reading more into it and trying to make an issue from something that isn't... Also note that MS don't do this, but they do have two step auth and other security measures, and two step auth was another thing that Playtech wanted to enforce OBLIGATORY for all members. We talked them out of that and the current security settings were the compromise (and it's been made clear that no further compromises will be made, as I think I've said already). If you want two step auth and looser password restrictions then I can put that to them too, but I'd need to see a hell of a lot more people requesting it.

Reactions: Yal
R

Rusty

"I do not want to use a cumbersome password" is not valid context for an article by a leading security expert telling you how to protect your assets. Mostly be the GMC holds no assets to protect. It's a very weird response in that context. If it was "I do not want to use a cumbersome password to protect my eBay account" then sure, I would totally agree with you in that regard, leading experts in the field would be an appropriate link but on here, it's somewhat out of context and weird.

Despite any of this, you've now told me that there was a discussion between YYG and PlayTech at the time this agreement was made, in which the password security was the comprise between PlayTech's initial proposal and YYG's views on the future of the community, rather than just an outright demand and obligation situation which you initially suggested to us. This is the kind of additional information I requested from you in my initial post on the subject (and could of been resolved then if you had simply talked to me rather than telling me to shut up).

Since this is still being portrayed rather strangely from the Playtech angle, I'm assuming this either has something to do with their company policy (with their main emphasis on gambling technology, especially so considering their cooperation with CGM) on security not translating well over on to the GameMaker community or some future prospects they have on the backburner for the community site. Since they were willing to negotiate with YYG, I can only assume this is the latter rather than the former but since you don't seem to have any information behind this change (which is again weird since they were in negotiations over this with YYG) then we can only sit tight and see what evolves out of this situation.

Out of curiosity, were the negotiations with Playtech over the forum securities issues in at all connected with the prolonged downtime we experienced before the new forums were implemented?

Nocturne

Friendly Tyrant
Forum Staff
Admin
Well, you can think what you want rusty, but I see nothing "weird" about it. As for this:

Out of curiosity, were the negotiations with Playtech over the forum securities issues in at all connected with the prolonged downtime we experienced before the new forums were implemented?
The answer is no.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I don't see what's so annoying about longer passwords. Most modern browsers even lets you save typed-in passwords so you don't need to type them again, so you can't blame it on broken fingers or laziness.

Alice

Darts addict
Forum Staff
I don't see what's so annoying about longer passwords. Most modern browsers even lets you save typed-in passwords so you don't need to type them again, so you can't blame it on broken fingers or laziness.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I used the GMC for 5 years in an academic setting... every student had their own account, and browser memories were stored in your account, not in a particular computer.

A

Aura

I see everybody's concerns here and I'm not a very big fan of the password requirements either. But since this is Playtech spoiling the things, there's no point of targeting Nocturne. He is doing what he's been told to; and if he has said that he'd convey the message to the people in authority, let's be quiet and see what they think about it.

Surgeon_

Symbian Curator
I don't see why this is such an issue. If you type in your password manually a few times and you use it regularly you will remember it (granted you didn't set it to some random gibberish). I have friends who use 15+ character passwords and have no trouble remembering them.

EDIT: And if anybody is too lazy to type in a password once when they enter a classroom, then that's their problem and not Nocturne's, or Playtech's or anybody else's.

Yal

🐧 *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
I don't see why this is such an issue. If you type in your password manually a few times and you use it regularly you will remember it (granted you didn't set it to some random gibberish). I have friends who use 15+ character passwords and have no trouble remembering them.

EDIT: And if anybody is too lazy to type in a password once when they enter a classroom, then that's their problem and not Nocturne's, or Playtech's or anybody else's.
Interesting figure... I actually used a 15-character password in the school I mentioned. Is that the limit where passwords start getting considered as long, perhaps? (The actual limitations actually were 8+ characters, having to have members from each of a bunch of sets of symbols in it, and not being able to have your username be a substring of the password)

R

Rusty

Firstly, I would want to point out by saying that Nocturne is a brilliant administrator. I have been in a few different forums and groups over the years, as both a member and in times a moderator and I'll take this time to point out that Nocturne is by far one of the best administrators I have came across over those years. He is well liked by the community and by his moderating team while maintaining a fairness to the forums and swift problem resolvement as well as supporting community growth and events. I respect Nocturne a great deal, both as an admin and as a developer and I can only assume he knows that. However, while Nocturne has since been immortalized as a deity in the chapel of the GMC, he too was once human and more so than that he is Scottish. It is only natural for me, as a human and a Northerner, to disagree with him at times and while this is one of those times, it in no way effects the respect I hold for him. I am not attacking Nocturne as a person, I am simply disagreeing with the way he is handling this specific situation.

Secondly, it is not your place nor your right to decide how others should set their passwords. I have to remember several passwords for several accounts. Ranging from my accounts on sites like this to the password my kid cousin makes me shout in the living room before I can enter his blanket fort. Calling people lazy for not wanting a unique password for every site they use, especially one as strong as this, is ridiculousness. You might be able to remember all thirty of your passwords but the next person might not share your vigilance and their concerns over this are valid, even if, as Nocturne said, they must learn to live with it.

Thirdly, the entire password scenario for the GMC can be resolved through password resets with your email address connected to your account. It takes about five tedious minutes longer and you'll probably have to do it twice a week to log in on other computers, it's not ideal but even the dumbest amongst us can survive with it. I've personally had to reset my password for the GMC twice already, once when I forgot to get Chrome to save it and once when I accidentally deleted my password history. I have no idea what it is currently, so in 30 days when it promises to sign me out of the GMC, I will have to spend five minutes resetting it again through my email address which has had the same password that it had when I created it several years ago. Students are notoriously lazy so their fingers could probably use the extra exercise anyway to try and keep up with their wrists.

R

rui.rosario

Students are notoriously lazy so their fingers could probably use the extra exercise to try and keep up with their wrists anyway.
Just had to give this some proper attention.

Concerning the password issue: I understand all points of view regarding to this issue and I somewhat relate to all of them. However, as @Nocturne stated, if it is a question of this or two-step auth, I choose this. It's less headache each time I have to login to the GMC. Of course in other websites I would have the exact opposite reaction, it also depends on how each of us looks at the GMC (if someone here is famous and earns a lot of money from the content and reputation here, I can see them preferring two-step auth).

RekNepZ

GMC Historian
Great vid Icuurd! watched a bunch of those videos and I think I now have a much better idea of how password encoding/decoding works!

I wonder if the password limits are more for detouring hackers than for user safety? I know this subject has been pretty much closed, but I sort of wish we could at least know the reason for the harsh restrictions. I really shouldn't re-ignite this argument though.

I

icuurd12b42

Great vid Icuurd! watched a bunch of those videos and I think I now have a much better idea of how password encoding/decoding works!

I wonder if the password limits are more for detouring hackers than for user safety? I know this subject has been pretty much closed, but I sort of wish we could at least know the reason for the harsh restrictions. I really shouldn't re-ignite this argument though.
There's a cracking episode I guess you watched since he refers to it.

It is for user safety relative to the cracking tech of the time. But also as the guy said there are a lot of idiots who use the same password or use a "system" that if a hacker stole the hash table and figured out your password on one site they could essentially conclude you use the same password or system on other sites.

So having a strict password rule that forces the hash to be unbreakable with the tech of the time protects the company from users that may have their bank account drain because that company was hacked AND the user had a lame password.

I

icuurd12b42

Can you please please please move the darn Edit to the right menu (Edit +Quote Reply). if not at a minimum, to the right or the Report link (User name and date Report Edit)

T

Treecase86

I can't change my profile info, such as username, age, adress, etc.

A

Aura

@Treecase86: You can't change the username and age yourself. Send @Nocturne a message to get them changed. (If you can't figure out how to do that, go to his profile >> Information tab >> Interact section >> Start a Conversation; and wait for 8 years...) Also, you can change your location (address) yourself by going to the Personal Details section.

Also, @Nocturne, the colour combination of the topic prefixes is not consistent in different locations. For instance, the Distribution TP (in the Game Design forum) becomes green text on pink background (which is different from the planned blue-on-pink combination) while editing a post and kills readability; apart from looking odd and out of the place, so you might want to fix that. (unless it takes you ages again to figure out how to do that... ^^")

T

Treecase86

@Treecase86: You can't change the username and age yourself. Send @Nocturne a message to get them changed. (If you can't figure out how to do that, go to his profile >> Information tab >> Interact section >> Start a Conversation; and wait for 8 years...) Also, you can change your location (address) yourself by going to the Personal Details section.

Also, @Nocturne, the colour combination of the topic prefixes is not consistent in different locations. For instance, the Distribution TP (in the Game Design forum) becomes green text on pink background (which is different from the planned blue-on-pink combination) while editing a post and kills readability; apart from looking odd and out of the place, so you might want to fix that. (unless it takes you ages again to figure out how to do that... ^^")
Thanks, but do you know how to change your membership status-thing? Like how yours is set to 'Precocious Intellectual'?

J

jackhigh24

ok for the last few days iv been seeing a new issue with the forum, im getting it saying iv got way more alerts than i actually have, for instance since my last post in this topic https://forum.yoyogames.com/index.php?threads/library-compilereleasejavawithjavac.3883/#post-37060 there has only been 4 posts after that, but its showing me 8 plus the one for the like, and the other day i had 16 for a topic that only had 2 posts after my last interaction, so not sure whats going on there.

A

Aura

@jackhigh24: Are you following any forums? In that case, deleted and spam threads are the reason. Even after getting removed, the alerts counter remains the same but the alerts for those threads are not displayed. Other than that, I don't see an issue with the alerts, they work flawlessly on my end.

J

jackhigh24

@Aura no i dont think iv followed any, its definitely a bug as when i look at my alerts it says 8 likes and 1 mention all the for the same post at the same time all from one person, although it only added one like to my profile, so id say a bug for sure, only seen it happen twice up to now though.

Reactions: NPT
N

NPT

@Aura no i dont think iv followed any, its definitely a bug as when i look at my alerts it says 8 likes and 1 mention all the for the same post at the same time all from one person, although it only added one like to my profile, so id say a bug for sure, only seen it happen twice up to now though.
Could somebody be liking, unliking, liking, unliking...... the same post, either deliberately or possibly due to forum lag.

As an experiment I'll do multiple likes/unlikes on the post of yours I'm quoting. Let us know if you get multiple alerts.

Edit: I Liked it four times and Unliked it 3 times.

J

jackhigh24

@NPT thanks man for the test, but no i got one like and one quote just like it should be, so something weird is happening randomly then.

A

Aura

There might be an issue. A few weeks ago, more than 10 posts of mine were liked in a row by a random person. There were alerts for all of those but my likes counter was the same as before.

On second thought I remember that I lost (nearly) 10 likes within an immediate refresh once. I refreshed twice in a row. After the first refresh, the counter was fine. But I had lost 10 likes after the second refresh. The interval between the two was less than 2 seconds, so it's physically impossible for a person to unlike 10 posts in such a short period of time.

But I haven't had issues since then.

Gamer (ex-Cantavanda)

〜Flower Prince〜
Moderator Note: This post was merged here from another topic.

hello
i think 50 posts per page is a bit 2 much
its annoying in gmc jam, art gallery, scrapbook, long discussions, or anything with pictures
a pain in the ass to navigate
anyone agree?

i would prefer 20, thats da perfect number 2 me, but 0thers are also g00d, just anything less then 50 and ending with a 0 so that means 10 20 30 40, not f//****** 37 or something

suggestion 2
Rename the GMC Scrapbook to: "Mugshots"
Sounds funnier to me!

Kepons

Lost The Bet
I think you're right about the jam and other image and gif intensive topics. However, 20 is far too few. It would be the best if every user could choose their individual number of posts per page

Last edited:
Is there some way to presrve indentation and white spacing when pasting code coppied out of GMS?

Ah, nevermind, I figured it out. For anybody else wondering, click on the little icon labeled "Insert..."

Code:
    b = irandom(100000);
    show_message(
        string(seed) + "#" + string(random_get_seed()) +"##" +
        string(a) + "#" + string(b)

);

P

ParodyKnaveBob

Out of habit, I still tend to just type [code]foo = bar(baz);[/code] myself. (Particularly the [code][/code] part.)

Alvare

On the original forum you could do [media] "youtube link" [/media].
Now it still works, but you'll get an extra [media] that you have to remove.

A

Aura

@Alvare: That's so because direct Youtube links automatically get embedded here. You don't need to type [media][/media] anymore.

For instance, this:
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHChnH_Mi9I
...would get converted into:
Code:
[MEDIA=youtube]uHChnH_Mi9I[/MEDIA]
...automatically, resulting in the appearance of an extra media tag if you manually insert one around the link.

Not an issue, more of a feature.

Status
Not open for further replies.