• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!
  • Hello [name]! Thanks for joining the GMC. Before making any posts in the Tech Support forum, can we suggest you read the forum rules? These are simple guidelines that we ask you to follow so that you can get the best help possible for your issue.

Windows New Feature Request for GMS2

W

William Anderson

It would make development faster if you could [Drag-and-Drop] an item from Sprites down to Objects and GMS2 would create an object from that Sprite. :)

FrostyCat

Redemption Seeker
You can already drag sprites directly into the room itself via asset layers, so the use case for objects being a wrapper for sprites is significantly diminished. Unless you have other use cases supporting your suggestion, I don't have high hopes for it.

Smiechu

Can you describe the situation in which this would be usefull?
Time needed to assign a sprite to the object is relatively small to the time you need to code that object...
This would be only helpful if every object inherit the same code from his parent.
But then way way more efficient would be simply to create this objects within game code, or simply have one universal object for all possibilities.

gnysek

You can already drag sprite to object to assign it:

upload_2018-6-28_11-24-15.png

And you can create object By Alt+O or right clicking to workspace.

Genetix

I can see why that could save a little bit of time, but ultimately it seems like it should be a far lower priority then many other things that could be fixed. (I'd like to see the image editor improved myself)

Toque

Can you describe the situation in which this would be usefull?
Time needed to assign a sprite to the object is relatively small to the time you need to code that object...
This would be only helpful if every object inherit the same code from his parent.
But then way way more efficient would be simply to create this objects within game code, or simply have one universal object for all possibilities.
It’s not a big deal. In my previous engine I could drag a PNG and place it directly into a room. Saves a bit of time. Not a deal breaker.

Miradur

This is certainly not a time saver, but an additional option in the sprite editor would be more useful.
A checkbox that you can click and enter a name for the object.
And if you do that, the object will be created with the corresponding sprite.

And while we're at it, it would also be nice if you could put a prefix in the preferences for the respective
naming convention. So sort of:

spr_ -> for Sprite
obj_ -> for object
and so on

In that case, GM would specify something like the following:

spr_sprite0

and then with the new checkbox:

spr_sprite0
obj_sprite0

Miradur

Last edited:

Toque

It would save a tiny amount of time and clicks.

I agree custom prefix would make it even faster.

Anything that reduces time and clicks is a good thing.