Jake Habgood

GM Version: Studio (all)
Target Platform: Windows
Download: n/a
Links: see video below

Summary:
General intro to GM Studio

Hi,

A long time ago (in what currently feels like a galaxy far, far away) I wrote a book called The Game Maker's Apprentice with GameMaker's creator, Mark Overmars.

I now have an educational role at a videogame company called Sumo-Digital (Crackdown 3, Team Sonic Racing and many others), and we've released some free GameMaker tutorials which are trying to capture some of the magic of the original book (brought up to date for GameMaker Studio 2). There are currently three tutorials planned, with the first already online, the second coming out later this week and the third coming long before UK secondary schools reopen in September. The idea is to encourage as many young people as possible to try making a videogame for the first time during the lockdown period, as it's a really challenging and rewarding way to focus their energies during this time! :)

It's all being released for free and with Mark's blessing (in case you were wondering) and links into a wider industry initiative here: https://www.sidequest.org.uk/

I realise this is really basic stuff for most of the people on this forum, but I'd appreciate any help in raising awareness among schools, younger family members, or even your great aunt Petunia if she fancies having a go!

Thanks for reading - and keep making awesome things in GameMaker!

First Tutorial Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
P

ParodyKnaveBob

Wonderful. Cute, clean, and real information. Difference between objects and instances, so very important. Some video training which indeed can be helpful, but also pushing the lads and ladies into reading the blasted texts, awesome. $Ā¦^ b Great job, and indeed good fun to hear that Prof. Overmars gives his kudos, like it's all full circle. $:^ ) $:^ )

Regards!

Nice. Personally, I prefer text for two reasons: it's easier to navigate, and if the font's too small I can zoom in. Good on you for showing young people the ropes.

MaGicBush

Nice. Personally, I prefer text for two reasons: it's easier to navigate, and if the font's too small I can zoom in. Good on you for showing young people the ropes.
I agree! One thing I dislike about the current iterations of Game Maker is nearly every tutorial/guide is a video. Everyone learns at their own pace, and that is hard to do with a video. Also videos rarely give near as much detail as a written guide or book does. The video is usually just "Do this, and this happens" and leaves out why this happens. I miss my Apprentice book! I would love if the author made an updated one and purchase it immediately.