• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Networking?

M

ManiacCoder

I have been a little curious about Networking in GMS2. I have watched tons of tutorials on it, but I didn't quite get the picture... and when I tried to do networking, the entire game just crashed. so umm... and explanation on networking would really be helpful since I have no idea what I'm doing at this point.

C

carlosagh

Basically you need a sever and 1 or more clients.
Server and clients are sockets. These sockets are not objects, they are application instances, for example, 2 windows of a same program are 2 instances of a same program, they can be in the same device or in different devices and they can communicate locally or in a network. GM does this through the async networking event, which at first is a bit dificult to master, all you need to do to get it right is keep track of all of the information through debug messages and stuff and litle by litle you will finally know how everything works

GameMakerStation has a networking tutorial in youtube, that one is one of the best (despite some errors)