Discussion Networking for HTML5?

Discussion in 'GameMaker Studio 2 Community Tech Support' started by TheMagician, Apr 27, 2017.

1. TheMagician

TheMagician Member

Are there any plans to extend GameMaker's native networking capabilites onto the HTML5 target?

If not: is there any way to connect an HTML5 client to a normal Windows client via networking in GameMaker?

2. YellowAfterlife

YellowAfterlife ᴏɴʟɪɴᴇ ᴍᴜʟᴛɪᴘʟᴀʏᴇʀ Forum Staff Moderator

You can find multiple extensions for WebSocket support.
    Connecting a WebSocket client to a non-WS server will require either another extension or an "adapter" application (someone made one IIRC), as WS is a layer on top of TCP rather than "raw" TCP.

3. TheMagician

TheMagician Member

Thanks for the info. I know about the WebSocket extensions for HTML5 but would be very interested in the "adapter" application as I haven't found anything like that, yet and that's exactly what I'm looking for.

Still, a native implementation for HTML5 would be nice.

4. chamaeleon

chamaeleon Member

And so is every script kiddie out there looking for a way to subvert your browser to go to unsavory sites or any number of other things. There's a reason web browsers are as locked down as they are. The problem isn't your code, the problem is that the features you are looking for can be used for nefarious purposes, hence we don't get to have nice things.

5. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member