Nether (Debug version 0.1.6) -Boomerang-

T

Tonydaderp

Hello all, about 3 months ago i quit my game Nether: the Dying Village. i sorta had writers block, but for game deving. A little while later, i wanted to make a rogue like platformer. The sprites in my game are all based on the design of the old "Nether" if that's even what his final name will be, and i have improved in pixel art quite a bit. So here it is: the "engine" I've been working on for the past 2.7 months. :D Feedback would be very appreciated, as it truly helps me a ton. I'm not gonna explain the game mechanics quite yet, but in the mean time, you can test out the player inputs/controls. :) I'd say the player inputs/sprites/controls are around 90% complete, just a few little tweaks and bugs to fix. Please tell me what you think. Thank you for your time. XD

Here is the link to it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/m2r9yntcdwd1wq2/NetherGame.exe?dl=0
Have fun, i guess.

P.s, I've been working really hard on the gamepad controls, so try em out!
I'll be posting some screen shots tomorrow, so hang tight!

Last edited by a moderator:

sp202

The most important thing above everything else in a WIP post is screenshots, followed by a short description of the premise and gameplay and of course, a demo.

sp202

I was thinking more like actual screenshots of the game (even if it is barebones at the moment), I think gifs would be even better though. Here are my first impressions:

- The installer was a turn off, but I went through with it anyway, upload a compact .exe version instead.
- Please let me make the game fullscreen.
- The choice of buttons on controller is pretty weird, I understand the D-pad is easier to code with as it's digital input so you don't have to worry about deadzone, but please please add joystick support.
- Right bumper to jump and trigger to roll is a bit weird, I'd keep them as alternate buttons and add A for jumping and X/B for rolling (or perhaps even holding down on the D-pad/joystick).
- Baisc movement feels very nice, love the smooth transitions between animations, impressive stuff.
- Variable jumping should be added, where tapping jump lets you jump a short height and holding jump allows you to jump higher.
- Platforming could still use a bit of work, being more lenient with jumps, like storing input even when jumping just before hitting the ground/just after walking off ledges.
- Same applies to walljumping, sometimes it felt like my input wasn't being recognized when I tried to do quick jumps back and forth between walls; possibly because the game only recognizes you as wall-sliding after the animation has finished, so allow me to jump during the animation too. I'd also like to be able to actually drop off the wall by holding the opposite directional key.

RangerX

Feels pretty good. You should make a game, even just a simple platformer for fun.
I feel there's much gravity though. Impulse up feels good but then when he falls, he falls too much or seems to always accelerate.

T

Tonydaderp

Thank you for your replies and feedback. The things you guys said were exactly what people in my discord said. I will make the wall jump more lenient, but the heavy gravity was 100% intentional. There actually already is a variable jump height implemented, you probably just didn't noticed. I will post some gifs, but I am currently at school. Also, Rangerx, I am making a game, it is currently at alpha.

RangerX

Thank you for your replies and feedback. The things you guys said were exactly what people in my discord said. I will make the wall jump more lenient, but the heavy gravity was 100% intentional. There actually already is a variable jump height implemented, you probably just didn't noticed. I will post some gifs, but I am currently at school. Also, Rangerx, I am making a game, it is currently at alpha.
Awesome. Poke me when you'll have a thread for that one.

X

Xelostar

Looks awesome. Still not a fan of the "uncapped" falling speed though. Really feels wierd
Indeed. In real life the air would stop you from accelerating when you get to a certain speed (depending on the thicknes of the air and the surface of the object and stuff)
Good suggestion! :D

T

Tonydaderp

Can you guys further explain "uncapped"? Like, you guys dont like the fall speed?

RangerX

This means there's no cap. It always accelerate.
Your character should stop accelerating at some point while falling.

T

Tonydaderp

This means there's no cap. It always accelerate.
Your character should stop accelerating at some point while falling.
Ok. I understand. I found the reson why it was happening. I added some extra code the other day that enables going down slopes, however, i didnt know that it affected the player when he was not on the slopes. So that's why the acceleration happened. XD thx for responding