Discussion Netflix as a company

Roa

Ever since Netflix took off, its been very popular in providing people access to quality content, at a fair and very accessible price. At the same time, companies are super butt hurt about how it has managed to take over the market and still make massive profits.

Data companies want to restrict it not only because it takes higher bandwidth, but often times these companies have stakes in other media lines like timewarner, who's cable service which comes at a premium connection cost plus dealing with more ads than ever before, is rapidly losing subscribers.

Companies have even go so far as to infringe on the free exchange of information to stop netflix by throttling those services.

Hollywood is bellyaching about how effected their sales are on big hits because people on netflix are the biggest demand, where they wont make nearly the same income off the service or past initial release in theaters. netflix even has its onw bar of entry with netflix originals which are low budget B studios that actually do quite well.

I personally think netflix is a beautiful thing. its pushing convergence of how we consume our media and it sets a very high bar for companies to keep up. A high bar that is forcing the hands of T1 providers to keep up with modern standards instead of abusing consumers and overcharging prices for connections. We already see a shift in places where google fiber is instated, and large monopoly companies like charter, timewarner and at&t are forced into making fair deals.

Even how they treat their customers kinda pisses me off. After years of complaints and terrible service, timewarner has instilled a new policy of making a 1 hour window of when service can be provided at your doorstep. But it wasn't as simple as owning up to the fact and dealing with it. They actually backlash in the very same commercials used to advertise this new upkeep in service, by always showing the customer doing 💩💩💩💩 all after claiming he had important stuff to do, implying their time is spent on stupid stuff. This really shows what time warner really thinks of their customers and their time, that their time isn't important and its amazing how they blatantly advertised this as "a joke" when in reality its a complete reflection of their disrespect after providing terrible quality of service for years on end.

southpark was more spot on than they may have realized.

Netflix is a wakeup call to the convergence of networks and its right along with google in pushing for higher standards.

What do yall think?

Mercerenies

Netflix started something beautiful, and it needs to continue. Before Netflix, cable was the big thing. Sure, there was Youtube, but even that wasn't as big as it is now. After Netflix, Amazon's instant video service got popular, Hulu became a substantial thing, and even Xfinity's onDemand service got (marginally) cheaper. Between those, you can find most shows and things at a low price (plus subscription, of course).

Cable is an archaic technology that requires bulk payment for all the channels at once and mandates watching material at predetermined times. There's just not really a place for that in today's world; I canceled my cable subscription months ago and haven't felt like I'm missing anything since.

Roa

Netflix started something beautiful, and it needs to continue. Before Netflix, cable was the big thing. Sure, there was Youtube, but even that wasn't as big as it is now. After Netflix, Amazon's instant video service got popular, Hulu became a substantial thing, and even Xfinity's onDemand service got (marginally) cheaper. Between those, you can find most shows and things at a low price (plus subscription, of course).

Cable is an archaic technology that requires bulk payment for all the channels at once and mandates watching material at predetermined times. There's just not really a place for that in today's world; I canceled my cable subscription months ago and haven't felt like I'm missing anything since.
Yeah, I stopped watching cable almost 10 years ago. It cost so much more and the ads make an hour movie into 3 hours. And now they play even more ads than ever before, like. There is just no benefit to the end user with so much access online now. Paying 5-6 times more for an inferior prodcut on almost every level.

I think the best show on Netflix is DARE DEVIL...
haven't watched it, though I did splurg on trailer park boys. It hits way too close to home. I know its like a parity and tv show, but its more realistic than people would think XD There is some serious trash around where I live lol

K12gamer

The worst part about XFINITY (On Demand) movies is you can't fast forward them. They force you to watch commercials.
if you fall asleep during one...when you wake up and try to re-watch it...you have to start back at the beginning (with no fast forward to where you left off).

Also...Xfinity's set top box often has errors...and you have to wait a long time for it to self diagnose (fix itself).

Mercerenies

Also...Xfinity's set top box often has errors...and you have to wait a long time for it to self diagnose (fix itself).
Not true! You can call their helpdesk, wait two hours on hold, be called an idiot by the tech support guy, and then get charged for the service despite not receiving any substantial help at all. That's not just waiting around; that's getting things done ;)

P

Pelican

Yeah, I stopped watching cable almost 10 years ago. It cost so much more and the ads make an hour movie into 3 hours. And now they play even more ads than ever before, like. There is just no benefit to the end user with so much access online now. Paying 5-6 times more for an inferior prodcut on almost every level.

haven't watched it, though I did splurg on trailer park boys. It hits way too close to home. I know its like a parity and tv show, but its more realistic than people would think XD There is some serious trash around where I live lol
I guess you don't like how YouTube is turning out, then? Putting ads and sponsors all over the place unless you spend money... Google knows they have a monopoly, and now they're doing their best to milk it for all the money it's got... :(