• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

NES Style vs Atari Style

MGSting

These are the two art styles I'm debating over which I should use for the portions of my game which the characters are playing on the game's universe's version of a NES or Atari. The idea is to combine the more modern style overworld with a retro style "dark world". Which one would you prefer?

Toque

Atari graphics could work on the right game but yeah NES is actually easier.

Atari games were great but relied on a bit of imagination. Now Atari had the jaguar and 7800 also more comparable to NES graphics.

If you're going for accuracy here, you also have to consider color depth and resolution. The Atari 2600, under NTSC configuration, had a maximum resolution of 160x192 (some sprites using pixels a quarter of the width of "playfield" pixels, and the view likely stretched to match the TV screen), used 128 colors, and ran at 60 FPS. The NES precedes that with a resolution of 256x240, used 54 colors (technically 64, 9 of which being duplicates and 1 that's not even visible so *shrug*), and also ran at 60 FPS. Subpixel movement is a no-no for both systems, so everything must be rounded. The sprites are also very limited, as a general consensus there should be no more than 3 colors (could debate on that because it's a little bit complicated), with only so many that could be seen on screen.

I could elaborate if you wish but I feel like I would just keep rambling on about how these systems work and start to fall away from the subject. Can't help it, I've always been a fan of some of the really cool stuff that old devs used to get around their system limitations. :D

Last edited:

kupo15

I could elaborate if you wish but I feel like I would just keep rambling on about how these systems work and start to fall away from the subject. Can't help it, I've always been a fan of some of the really cool stuff that old devs used to get around their system limitations. :D
Keep rambling, I'm enjoying the knowledge dump! :D

Yal

šŸ§ *penguin noises*
GMC Elder
The NES for sure. Atari graphics are so primitive nobody can enjoy them, and a big reason the video game crash happened was because the games looked so bad compared to the art on the covers - that's why the first NES covers had pictures of the in-game sprites so people knew what they were getting.
upload_2018-9-14_22-36-46.png

Toque

Atari was great at the time. Loved it. But you needed the cover art. Itā€™s like book cover art. A little imagination to help the game experience.

NES is always better 99% of the time. The catch is that 1% like if you're going for a creepy, less is more vibe, I'd recommend Atari 2600. Plus it's easier to make art for.