NES Ice Climber Clone Tutorial

Discussion in 'Tutorials' started by Abrexas, Jan 18, 2019.

1. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

GM Version: 1.4
    Target Platform: Windows/Mac OSX
    Download: N/A
    Links: (Assets) https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v517yadgyrbekup/AADgZG1z1B2-if6M9BHInI0pa?dl=0

Summary:
    Welcome to Let's Clone!
    Trying out this tutorial in a new way- - coding/teaching in one shot as apposed to writing the game out multiple times haha. So I'm sorry if this one is a bit choppy.

In Part One we create the player 'Popo' with a state machine to handle his walking, jumping, and attacking.
    I hope you enjoy!

Tutorial:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    SnortySnoopy and NeZvers like this.
  2. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Part Two done and up!

Edwin likes this.
  3. Edwin

Edwin Member

Well made, Steven. Can not wait for more videos!

Abrexas likes this.
  4. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Many thanks! Should be recording part 3 tomorrow morning.

Edwin likes this.
  5. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Took a day longer than I had hoped, but we have a part 3 :)

Edwin, NeZvers and Toque like this.
  6. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Had a bit of a tough time with this one, but Part Four is up!

Edwin likes this.
  7. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Ayyye, look at that. Two parts in two days. Lets gooooo :)

Edwin likes this.
  8. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Welcome to the double dose ;)

Part Six

Part Seven

SnortySnoopy and Edwin like this.
  9. DividingByZero

DividingByZero Member

This is a great looking set of tutorials. I am going to watch through them (I love Ice Climber too!)

Abrexas likes this.
  10. Bayesian

Bayesian Member

I really don't like this format. The time you say you're saving by not planing out anything is just transferred to the viewer and wastes their time. I'm basically watching a live stream vod

sitebender, Abrexas and FrostyCat like this.
  11. FrostyCat

FrostyCat Member

If this is how you plan to teach, I hope you rethink your approach and set a better example.

Unrehearsed video "tutorials" (if I could even accept this as one) that ramble on and backtrack on their own mistakes tend to produce poor learning results. Here is an example of someone else trying to cut the same corners on a tutorial and the viewer just couldn't follow the do-overs. Do the right thing and have the integrity to prepare a usable learning path. Proper technique over real-time authenticity.

So much of the crap I see daily on the Q&A sections stems from this juvenile taboo against being considerate of other people's time and looking a few moves ahead, and having instructors that promote this YOLO-do-first-think-later ideology doesn't help.

12. NeZvers

NeZvers Member

Got to say, I must agree with @FrostyCat . I couldn't sit through and enjoy this series as much as I wanted.

13. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Thank you for your feedback. I'm sorry that you weren't aware to the fact that this was my first time attempting to make a clone in this manner, and I hope that you're pleased to hear that I'm not content with the outcome either.

For my previous clones (mostly) I have made the game first and then somewhat scripted each part. This took a ****ton of time, so I wanted to give an attempt at this sort of approach. And again, I am not satisfied.

But this is a long-haul type of adventure. I'm sure to make plenty of mistakes along the way, and I rely on people like you to keep me in check with my attempts. I will continue to improve with each tutorial, and I aim to earn the respect of people like yourself.

Many thanks!

Homie, I understand how you feel entirely. I'm going to finish out this clone with a bit more planning in mind, but not quite as much as my previous clones. Still working on a format that saves time without hindering the content, which I have clearly missed the mark on with this one.
    I appreciate your feedback heaps!

I will do better next time :)

NeZvers likes this.
  14. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Part Eight is up :)
    Working on tweaking this format, as I and several of you are not quite satisfied. So this part is hella small as I plan out the next few.
    Thank you for your patience, and be sure to know that future clones will be smoother for sure!

mamacato, NeZvers and SnortySnoopy like this.
  15. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Part Nine is a GO!
    Finally got around to adding the camera into this game, which helps emulate the feel of the classic as you climb the mountain.

Lemme know what you think!

16. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

Had some extra time today, so I squirted out a quick part 10.

Edwin and SnortySnoopy like this.
  17. sitebender

sitebender Member

There are quite a few video tutorials that post incorrect methods to do things. What's awesome is when they discover a new way to do the same thing and they upload a new video to counteract the old one without removing the old one.

Abrexas likes this.
  18. Abrexas

Abrexas Member

I'm not too sure how incorrect a method can be, if it works. But I see no need to remove old methods in light of new ones. Or at least not in my case as I make it aware that utilize a plethora of methods deliberately. It should be obvious that, over a large amount of time, newer tutorial should contain newer material. And it's also a platform where people are offering these tutorials for free. So it would be naive to expect professional quality =P

That being said, I know my tutorials are somewhat trash, as I'm still learning how to improve. But I don't expect people who are better than me to be watching my tutorials. It's not liker there's much for them to learn from my content =P
    But I have had heaps of people leave me very kind comments as a result of my tutorials. It means a lot to me because I didn't find out about programming until my second year of college. I love that I can introduce people to this idea and that it's available to anyone who looks for it :)r