• Hey Guest! Ever feel like entering a Game Jam, but the time limit is always too much pressure? We get it... You lead a hectic life and dedicating 3 whole days to make a game just doesn't work for you! So, why not enter the GMC SLOW JAM? Take your time! Kick back and make your game over 4 months! Interested? Then just click here!

Demo Negative_Space - A Challenging 2D Platformer

J

justintimecarter

Hi everyone my name is Justin and I've been working on this game Neatitive_Space for almost 2 years now in Gamemaker 1.4.

Negative_Space is a challenging black and white 2D platformer where you have to alternate in and out of two versions of the same room in order to reach the portal at the end of the level. Using precision platforming and perfectly timed switching between rooms you’ll have to navigate room after room of spikes, projectiles, and other hazards if you hope to survive.

I showed a demo of the game at The Southwest Video Game Showcase at Phoenix Comic-Con earlier this year in May and Negative_Space managed to win the Juiciest Game Award and was runner up for the Player’s Choice Award against almost a dozen other independent games.

Demo: https://insideoutgames.itch.io/negative-space

The demo also supports Xbox 360/Xbox One controller input. See screenshots below.

I also have some links to the Kickstarter and demo below so please feel free to check them out and if you play the demo let me know what you think.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
F

FROGANUS

looks cool, i like minimal platformers with interesting concepts.

i can't get it to download tho.. is there a way to get direct link from itchio for 'save as'? my machine doesn't let me get exes unless i can direct to a folder and scan immediately (better yet i recommend a zip or rar package).

from the clips, i'll hesitantly say, the graphic style does look a little bit harsh.. i like when a game will have certain levels go into the silhouette/2-color style for dramatic effect (ala super meatboy or electronic super joy), but for a full-time style, it seems like it could be 'fatiguing' on the eyes. again, haven't tried the game, just an observation.

J

justintimecarter

Thanks I appreciate that! As far as itch.io it has to be downloaded through the button as an exe, but when I get home I can zip it to a public folder on Dropbox for you to grab.

From all the playtesting I've done with the game so far I haven't had anyone quit playing because the visuals hurt their eyes, but I've had a handful of people say they wish it wasn't just black and white which is why I try to incorporate some gray into levels.

J

justintimecarter

My review :) -
Thanks for checking out the demo and the review! For the kickstarter the rewards are in their own tab at the top of the page and I do have what you get with each tier similar to the bottom of the page.

The controls are laid out that way since jumping and switching are the only two buttons besides moving so I used the same control setup as the Virtual Boy, in the final release there will be an option to adjust the key inputs. The demo also works with a 360 controller which a lot of people find easier especially for platformers.

The reason the demo is so big too is I have a lot of music, sound effects, and assets that aren't being used in the demo, but are in my project.