Idea Need some ideas for a plot

SoVes

I'm working on a game where you as a player can slow down, speed up or freeze time around you. It contains puzzles and dodging enemy bullets in slow mo, but I can't come up with a idea what the player is trying to achieve from killing enemies and progressing. what is at the end? I don't want to leave it being an arcade game. Any ideas?

Kyon

You're the keeper of time and someone else has been messing with time. You need to find him/her, stop him/her, and save the universe beforE IT IMPLODES.

CLiolios

You can always find a random prompt generator, and adjust what you are given to what you already have

Z

zendraw

it doesnt have to be connected with the player. the player may simply be some time guy.

Rob

You're some sort of evil deity/demi god that's come to reek havoc on the world. Your magical powers allow you to mess with time but you're not immortal. Reaching the end will give you immortality/god hood/vestal virgins?

M

MEITdev

yo @SoVes DM me with some more details. I am currently looking for a space where I can try out my imagination I a can make you a "demo" plotline or a single quest, just to see how it fits :)

A

Alessio

I don't think so many people actually care about storylines in games. For the sake of "ahrt", many developers try to shove super complex and ultra depressing plots in their games, even in simple-looking ones that wouldn't fit well with such plot. I really dislike it when it happens, very often an overly complex plot ruins the fun of playing games. It can also depend from the tone of the game (for example, games with realistic or semi-realistic character are going to look differently from games with cartoony ones), but a plot should stay as simple as it can be, unless it's an RPG of some sort (and even in that case, overly complex can be negative). I would also avoid overused tropes as well, and think to something more original, even if it had to be something really weird: many games have very weird plots that make little sense but are fun anyway (Super Mario games were - and still are - like this).

Electros

I don't think so many people actually care about storylines in games. For the sake of "ahrt", many developers try to shove super complex and ultra depressing plots in their games, even in simple-looking ones that wouldn't fit well with such plot. I really dislike it when it happens, very often an overly complex plot ruins the fun of playing games. It can also depend from the tone of the game (for example, games with realistic or semi-realistic character are going to look differently from games with cartoony ones), but a plot should stay as simple as it can be, unless it's an RPG of some sort (and even in that case, overly complex can be negative). I would also avoid overused tropes as well, and think to something more original, even if it had to be something really weird: many games have very weird plots that make little sense but are fun anyway (Super Mario games were - and still are - like this).
Very much agree - for most games (especially shorter ones), it is sufficient to have a premise (why you are there) and a purpose (why you are doing it).

I think games like Spelunky and Mario frame it well.

Perhaps look at the locations you are building, the enemies you are creating, and the mechanics - work out what would be the simplest way to frame it all, and then build any necessary elements to support that.

A

Alessio

@Electros Yeah, the plot should stay simple unless it's an RPG, but even as an RPG it shouldn't become confusing because the major focus is on gameplay.

Looking at Spelunky, for example, the premise is that one explorer wants to find a treasure and venture into a dungeon where the treasure is situated. One idea about the OP could be the one expressed by Kion, or something similar, where the protagonist screws up with time and has to fix stuff again before it's too late. Or the protagonist is kidnapped by a time travelling entity and the former must escape through levels with their newfound ability to slowdown, speed up or freeze time, with a "psychical" ability or with a magic or mechanical device. You can find plenty of ideas.

Look into "Blinx" for the Xbox, where the Plot is this simple concept of a cat controlling time. Time Fiction can be a pain the ass, try to focus more on the alternative physics rather than focusing on why it ties to the Player-Character.